What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Rogue.9

Juniors
Allow polyesians to play SOO so they will represent NZ rather than Australia.
This is the easiest solution to the problem, it would stop Australia using Origin to steal the best players from other countrys. You would have had Hunt, Carrol & Mason playing for New Zealand, Petro & maybe Hayne playing for Fuji & Mateo wouldn't have to decide next year if he wants to be Tongan or Australian.

Eels Dude

Coach
This is the easiest solution to the problem, it would stop Australia using Origin to steal the best players from other countrys. You would have had Hunt, Carrol & Mason playing for New Zealand, Petro & maybe Hayne playing for Fuji & Mateo wouldn't have to decide next year if he wants to be Tongan or Australian.

The purists argue that it takes away from the true meaning of state of origin but I believe it could work to a degree. They would have to been rugby league in Australia for fair amount of time though.

Ram Man

Juniors
How about rather than letting polynesians play Origin.
How about relaxing the laws that allows those players with heritage other than Australia who played all their junior footy in QLD/NSW, play for their chosen country.
For example, let Karmichael Hunt play for QLD, and let him play for NZ if he wants to.

Rather than having them plaedge their allegiance to a country before they are slected for Origin.

I just dont like the idea of a player born and raised who played a heap of Junior footy in NZ playing in Origin.

They should have played Junior reps for QLD/NSW like SBW, who played NSW U/18's.

Eels Dude

Coach
How about rather than letting polynesians play Origin.
How about relaxing the laws that allows those players with heritage other than Australia who played all their junior footy in QLD/NSW, play for their chosen country.
For example, let Karmichael Hunt play for QLD, and let him play for NZ if he wants to.

Rather than having them plaedge their allegiance to a country before they are slected for Origin.

I just dont like the idea of a player born and raised who played a heap of Junior footy in NZ playing in Origin.

They should have played Junior reps for QLD/NSW like SBW, who played NSW U/18's.

Take a bloke like Nathan Cayless for example, born in Sydney but chose to represent New Zealand from the get go. We need more of it, and perhaps if rules were relaxed a little it could work.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
As fans we need to and the international body needs to create the image of prestige around the international game.

Rugby Union is a bee's d*ck off being unwatchable, but it's the feeling and sense of the prestige and the image of importance that makes it bearable to the public i guess. They are fooled into the event.

The first step is making our players say they prefer to play international games because that is the pinnacle of the sport, without detracting from what origin is. SOO is special in its own way but it is certainly not the pinnacle. I cringe when i hear players and people say that SOO is the pinnacle because it boxes up our sport, makes us look insular like we don't want to grow the game.

Rogue.9

Juniors
The purists argue that it takes away from the true meaning of state of origin but I believe it could work to a degree. They would have to been rugby league in Australia for fair amount of time though.
If I remember rightly they were allowed to play before 1980 when it based on where you were playing at the time. We used to have Queenslanders in the NSW side so why not New Zealanders? Did anybody really care when Adrian Lam (PNG) played for QLD.

Butters

Bench
If I remember rightly they were allowed to play before 1980 when it based on where you were playing at the time. We used to have Queenslanders in the NSW side so why not New Zealanders? Did anybody really care when Adrian Lam (PNG) played for QLD.

Brett White has been named in the Irish WC squad and Neville Costigan in the PNG Squad. So there really isn't any point in not letting someone like SBW or Mateo from playing Origin.

Eels Dude

Coach

The Queenslanders don't seem to mind Tonie Carrol playing every year either.

the Lock8

Juniors
Give everyone going through the gate to the Rugby League tests about 10 or 12 sleeping pills and that should just about result in the same atmosphere as aYawnion test.:cool::lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
I think the face of Cricket will change in 10 to 15 years. We've already got the IPL, the money that can be made by that will slowly bring more investors to game and cricket in India in surrounding countries means that the game will slowly turn into a dominant club sport, as opposed to a dominant international sport. Hell, India are powerful enough, and have a big enough population.

Back to my point, It's very hard finding that mix between a strong club competition, and a strong international competition. Football does it because it's big enough around the world, Rugby does to a point, but their international game is their selling point. Super 12 just brings a bit more cash into the game.

League could improve things internationally, but certain parts of the NRL would need to be sacrficed. And even if attempted, the interest in international competition from other nations is limited.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Union is just so competitive worldwide.

Here are all of the nations that the Wallabies have ever played, and their records against us (sorted into groups). There are 20 nations in all, because including sides like the Barbarians is really double counting as they play for one of the other teams on the list.

2730246387_93a46b2c17.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_rugby_union_team

So we have NZ, South Africa and France, plus the British teams that give us a good game.

The next 4 nations can't beat us 75% of the time.

The bottom 10 of the so called rugby nations, haven't beaten us once, and none of them have played us even 10 times.

Get the list versus the All Blacks, it would be even more of a carve up.

Johns Magic

Referee
Union is just so competitive worldwide.

Here are all of the nations that the Wallabies have ever played, and their records against us (sorted into groups). There are 20 nations in all, because including sides like the Barbarians is really double counting as they play for one of the other teams on the list.

2730246387_93a46b2c17.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_rugby_union_team

So we have NZ, South Africa and France, plus the British teams that give us a good game.

The next 4 nations can't beat us 75% of the time.

The bottom 10 of the so called rugby nations, haven't beaten us once, and none of them have played us even 10 times.

Get the list versus the All Blacks, it would be even more of a carve up.

Have you got one of those tables for the Kangaroos?

Johns Magic

Referee
I am not the one arguing that League is a massive international game, unlike those on this thread throwing out the tired old lines on how vast Union has become.

In comparison to league, international union is big. In comparison to soccer it is small. I have no misperception that union is some massive world game.

Calixte is the one saying they're equal. The fact is they're not.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
In comparison to league, international union is big. In comparison to soccer it is small. I have no misperception that union is some massive world game.

Of course Union has more countries playing it, but how can someone say there is a massive gulf in competitiveness?

They have a larger core group of top nations, but the rest are a bunch of nuffies. If League ever gets competitive teams in the now seperate home nations, what is the difference, South Africa.

Johns Magic

Referee
Of course Union has more countries playing it, but how can someone say there is a massive gulf in competitiveness?

They have a larger core group of top nations, but the rest are a bunch of nuffies. If League ever gets competitive teams in the now seperate home nations, what is the difference, South Africa.

Be honest mate, those union countries you called "bum sides" probably have a similar record against the Wallabies as the Kiwis or Great Britain side(in the last 40 years) have against the Kangaroos.

How often do the Wallabies-All Blacks-Springboks games end in 50 point massacres?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Be honest mate, those union countries you called "bum sides" probably have a similar record against the Wallabies as the Kiwis or Great Britain side(in the last 40 years) have against the Kangaroos.

How often do the Wallabies-All Blacks-Springboks games end in 50 point massacres?

True, Australia has towelled all comers, but we still get upsets like the other year when NZ beat us 24-0 in the final.

Then again we get stats like the All Blacks never having lost to Ireland in over 100 years, and I didn't put them in the nuffies list.

Calixte

First Grade

Even a day after the event you are still owned. :lol:

Where did I say they were equal? I said the stats were similar. They are. Go back to the summary, if you want to argue with my points, meathead... :lol:

Latest posts