What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Calixte

First Grade
People who have no interest in the international game, frankly, don't know enough about it.

Ignorance is bliss for some.

Johns Magic

Referee
Even a day after the event you are still owned. :lol:

Where did I say they were equal? I said the stats were similar. They are. Go back to the summary, if you want to argue with my points, meathead... :lol:

The summary? That piece of self-indulgent crap where you stated opinions as fact? Why the hell would I reply to that?

So you admit international union is alot more competitive than international league? Cheers, wasn't that hard now was it.

Cheezel

Juniors
So you admit international union is alot more competitive than international league? Cheers, wasn't that hard now was it.

I hope you not basing your opinon on the 2007 RWC! If you are you will be carved up by stats.

I think some people miss the fact that:

GB beat Australia in 2004
NZ won the Tri-Nations final in 2005
GB beat Australia in Sydney in 2006
GB beat NZ 3 - 0 in 2007

What makes you say that Union internationals are more competitive then League international. Just trying to understand your thinking. I saw some of the Pool games in the 2007 RWC and say that Union had more competitive games is a bit of a stretch.

Even comparing the 2000 RLWC to the 2007 RWC would show that the League World Cup produced less bow out score lines the the Union equivalent

Last edited:

Butters

Bench
I hope you not basing your opinon on the 2007 RWC! If you are you will be carved up by stats.

I think some people miss the fact that:

GB beat Australia in 2004
NZ won the Tri-Nations final in 2005
GB beat Australia in Sydney in 2006
GB beat NZ 3 - 0 in 2007

What makes you say that Union internationals are more competitive then League international. Just trying to understand your thinking. I saw some of the Pool game in the 2007 RWC and say that Union had more competitive games is a bit of a stretch

Isn't Australia on something like a 7 or 8 game winning streak not having lost since 2006 when they wielded a 2nd rate side with Ben Hornby at halfback? They also haven't been beaten by NZ since 2005.

Last edited:

Cheezel

Juniors
Isn't Australia on something like a 7 or 8 game winning streak not having lost since 2006 when they wielded a 2nd rate side with Ben Hornby at halfback?

Wrong, 5 Game winning streak.

2006 Results
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Nov 4th Great Britain 23 - Australia 12 (TN)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Nov 18th Australia 33 - Great Britain 10 (TN)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Nov 25th Australia 16 - New Zealand 12 (TNF)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2007 Results[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Apr 20th Australia 30 - New Zealand 6[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Oct 14th Australia 58 - New Zealand 0[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2008 Results[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]May 9th Australia 28 - New Zealand 12[/SIZE][/FONT]
What about the All Blacks prior to the World Cup? How long was there winning streak?

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Save the Children attends club matches and SOO religiously. Yet I haven't been to a test EVER. I wonder why!

I said 3 if you were "kind". As has been pointed out. The same team has won for the last 40 years. Compelling stuff.

Go to the WC then, if the ARL has any sense Sydney won't get another Test for a good 5 years so get it while you can!

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Winning streak?

Here is the AB record..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Blacks

2730473647_1bfd1ff029.jpg

Scotland, Ireland, Argentina, Italy + the other nuffies have never beaten them once.

screeny

Bench
i have no idea how. im a massive league fan in all its forms but my god i could not be less interested in the world cup. its like watching the commonwealth games and knowing australia will win everything. its just boring.

That's a huge contradiction. "I'm a massive RL fan in all forms but I am not interested in its biggest event of the last eight years"!!!

SO you clearly didn't watch NZ's magnificent triumph in 2005 then, or one of the best seasons of int'l footy the year after when NZ took Australia to extra time?

screeny

Bench
Anyway, comparing RL v RU results is extremely misleading. In union the ball is in play less, there are more penalties and pen goals are worth more meaning there are more low-scoring, time-consuming passages of (non)play.

Plus there are more players on the field, and no offside gap leading to less tries meaning when all is considered RU games are more likely to be closer towards the end of the game than RL games, which are much more brittle in terms of lop-sided results and blow outs.

Look at old RL and the scores are a lot lower on average, and closer than in the modern era.

Cheezel

Juniors
Why was there no RLWC in 04?

Lack of $$$ due to the loss made on the 2000 RLWC!

Rugby league bit off more then it could chew. That's why we have a 10 team World Cup not a 16 team like the 2000 World Cup.

Big scorelines in any tournement does the teams on the end of the floggings no favours

Vimpy

Juniors
There have been some very honest appraisals of the game in this thread, but f**k me, there are some one-eyed people too.

:lol:

shiznit

Coach
f**king hell.... im up to page 6 and i cant be f**ked reading the rest...

i think Eden Park sucks arse as a rugby stadium.... hopefully the renevations for the world cup in 2011 will improve the sh*thole....

i would much rather goto suncorp in brissy

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Personally dont care about perceived differences in crowd atmosphere between the codes. Dont care about winning streaks or how many nations have won world cups. The major difference between the RL & RU in terms of test footy as far as I'm concerned relates to the way both codes are structured & administered. One has done a reasonable job to nurture its international game over the past couple of decades, and has reaped substantial financial rewards as a result. The other is Rugby League.

I remain, as I have all my life, much more interested in seeing the Kiwis play than the All Blacks. But its hard to put into words the frustration of enduring numerous meaningless one sided, one-off tests over the years, along with the usual arm-wrestle between the hapless, bungling NZRL and selfish Northern Hemisphere RL clubs refusing to release players. Still, cant wait for the World Cup. Just hope I have a team to cheer for that is some chance of winning it.

Calixte

First Grade
Personally dont care about perceived differences in crowd atmosphere between the codes. Dont care about winning streaks or how many nations have won world cups. The major difference between the RL & RU in terms of test footy as far as I'm concerned relates to the way both codes are structured & administered. One has done a reasonable job to nurture its international game over the past couple of decades, and has reaped substantial financial rewards as a result. The other is Rugby League.

I remain, as I have all my life, much more interested in seeing the Kiwis play than the All Blacks. But its hard to put into words the frustration of enduring numerous meaningless one sided, one-off tests over the years, along with the usual arm-wrestle between the hapless, bungling NZRL and selfish Northern Hemisphere RL clubs refusing to release players. Still, cant wait for the World Cup. Just hope I have a team to cheer for that is some chance of winning it.

Says it all for a Kiwi fan I am afraid...

Latest posts