What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have had a gutful!!!

Kiki

First Grade
i think putting in a kick on the first tackle is a brain snap. punching your gf in the face is something entirely different.

but yeh i agree with you, it's unfair they all get tarred with the same brush.

Eelectrica

Referee
i think putting in a kick on the first tackle is a brain snap. punching your gf in the face is something entirely different.

but yeh i agree with you, it's unfair they all get tarred with the same brush.

Fair call on the Brain snap terminology.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He wanted eggs, but not like this.

eggs.jpg

" I said OVER EASY ! "

gottabegood

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by perth red
turn on a game, you are smacked in the face with alcohol and betting advertising. even the commentators have a running debate about the odds on the game. Is it any wonder our game has the image it has??

i hate this

it's not a debate, it's an advertisement for sportsbet or whatever the f**k it's called.

just shows what a joke of a competition the nrl is when it actually condones the leagues callers to advertise betting during a game.

imagine how many kids listen to that and think it's normal to blow your money on sport.

the f**king scum.

Gambling is a huge part of Aussie cultural (hell global culture), so I guess that means Aussie culture is also a joke. Is Maccas a sponsor?

The reason RL would have more of this type of advertising, is obviuosly again related to the rugby split...and they are doing there job nicely....but according to some the split has no effect today.....

l

adamkungl

Immortal
I would be very surprised if there were more than 0.1% of society charged with assaulting women in the last twelve months...

That would be 1 in 1000 that beat his missus in the last twelve months..

What do you think?

I am not talking about drink driving or having a blue when out on the turps..

Stop changing the goalposts. You said 6/400. name 6 players who in the last 12 months who have been charged with assaulting women. There aren't that many.

Also, not everyone that does it gets charged/caught. In fact, due to the nature of domestic violence i think its likely that the majority do not get caught.

adamkungl

Immortal
and lol@ anti gambling wowsers. Who gives a sh*t if the commentators talk about the odds...
Nothing wrong with having a punt.

Kiki

First Grade
yeh i agree, its a massive part of australian culture...it isn't specific to league.

kurt faulk

Coach
yeh i agree, its a massive part of australian culture...it isn't specific to league.

a man beating his wife is a massive part of aboriginal culture, if you believe what you hear and read in the media, yet that seems to irk you.

gregstar

Referee
absolutely.

kicking on the first tackle could cost you a game or grand final.

the stupidest, most contemptible thing you could ever possibly do.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Stop changing the goalposts. You said 6/400. name 6 players who in the last 12 months who have been charged with assaulting women. There aren't that many.

Also, not everyone that does it gets charged/caught. In fact, due to the nature of domestic violence i think its likely that the majority do not get caught.

Bird, Inglis, Cherington, stewart. All I get is 4. Have I missed anyone ?

Parra

Referee
Gambling is a huge part of Aussie cultural (hell global culture), so I guess that means Aussie culture is also a joke. Is Maccas a sponsor?

The reason RL would have more of this type of advertising, is obviuosly again related to the rugby split...and they are doing there job nicely....but according to some the split has no effect today.....

l

I love betting on the footy - but I hate that odds and starts are part of the commentary. It is unnecessary, misleading and also serves to alienate casual fans.

Ray Warren comes across as a cheap bookies tout. It really has no place during a telecast.

adamkungl

Immortal
Friend and Earl too.

I didn't count them...I didn't think a nightclub brawl counted....but a woman was injured, and they were charged with assault.

And I didn't count Bird and Cherrington, because they were last year...but the term used was "last 12 months".

So, I guess I changed the goalposts myself there. Apologies :eek:

gottabegood

Juniors
I love betting on the footy - but I hate that odds and starts are part of the commentary. It is unnecessary, misleading and also serves to alienate casual fans.

Ray Warren comes across as a cheap bookies tout. It really has no place during a telecast.

So the following is not only during play but interrupting the game being unnecessary and serving to alienate casual fans.

AFL - we have ads after every goal, plus quarter time breaks...thankfully, I guess, breaking the "action"....
Union - 20 minutes of penalty goals and injury timeouts, and no action at all.
Soccer - Players diving and feigning injury, rolling in agony, then stretched off.....at least the fans sing nice.
Cricket - ads every few minutes, commentary about seagull migration patterns.
NFL - pfft
etc

I think I'll take a few seconds of odds over the others thanks matey.

Parra

Referee
So the following is not only during play but interrupting the game being unnecessary and serving to alienate casual fans.

AFL - we have ads after every goal, plus quarter time breaks...thankfully, I guess, breaking the "action"....
Union - 20 minutes of penalty goals and injury timeouts, and no action at all.
Soccer - Players diving and feigning injury, rolling in agony, then stretched off.....at least the fans sing nice.
Cricket - ads every few minutes, commentary about seagull migration patterns.
NFL - pfft
etc

I think I'll take a few seconds of odds over the others thanks matey.

Watch horse racing - the entire sport exists for gambling and is funded by gambling. But during a race you do not hear the caller refer to the odds of a horse, movements in the betting or related issues. The callers are professional and they call the race.

Odds are a huge part of the pre and post race discussions - but not during the event.

It detracts from the RL calls - adds absolutely no value to the telecast at all.

gottabegood

Juniors
Watch horse racing - the entire sport exists for gambling and is funded by gambling. But during a race you do not hear the caller refer to the odds of a horse, movements in the betting or related issues. The callers are professional and they call the race.

Odds are a huge part of the pre and post race discussions - but not during the event.

It detracts from the RL calls - adds absolutely no value to the telecast at all.

Mama Parra "He so clever when he young boy...tsk tsk tsk"

Surely its time to stop blaming the media coverage (i agree that it is ridiculously over the top and often not accurate) but the players feed the f**king media vultures with their ridiculously stupid actions and behaviour.

I dont think as a sports star knowing your under scrutiny that it would be that hard to go through your career without beating up on your girlfriend or screwing chicks in a toilet block with a bunch of your mates or crash tackling some random chick when in a drunken stupor, yet these f**king idiots keep doing it. I know most of them are as dumb as buggery but surely they must have some understanding of what will happen when they are undertaking the act in the first place.

Whether or not the media coverage is over the top is not the issue any more. The game has to protect its brand and constant negative press against players especially in regards to women damages rugby leagues brand in the eyes of the public. Many people on this forum may not choose to acknowledge it but there are many people in the wider public who will not have anything to do with rugby league because of the constant off field dramas associated with the game.

And yes, mums will definetaly stop their sons from playing the sport.

what a load of crap......most of the blame should be put on the money grubbing morons who use their camera phones and feed the media, for cash

any player should be able to go out and get as pissed as they want, and party as hard as they want, and carry on like idiots.......if there is any poster here, who has not done the same thing, throw your hand up, i know my hands will be staying down by my side......the players are not pillars of society or role models, they are just normal everyday young men who like a drink and to have a good time, and before you say they are highly paid proffesionals......so what, i am a highly paid proffessional, and as i said my hands will be staying down by my side, and you dont see me spread all across the papers, fair enough in cases like, danny wicks if he is found guilty, throw the book at him, but paul gallen taking a piss against a wall, so what, i got caught short last sunday morning, and ducked into an alley way.......ease up and give them a break, FFS

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Why?

Why is this rugby league's f**king problem?

Danny Wicks is a f**king idiot who ALL league fans I know will now be disgusted with. He will be dealt with as a criminal, not a rugby league player, and the Knights have stood him down.

How the f**k is this league's problem or responsibility? Why should they have to baby f**king idiots like this Wicks dope? Why? They already do so much in education and community work, there will always be the ones that act out, and you deal with them as they happen.

F**k sake.

Latest posts