What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I smell Soward just around the corner....

taxidriver

Coach
Honestly, can you sit here with a straight face and tell me Beau Scott is a good attacking player?

Yes or no?

no he isn't in the top tier of attacking backs

can you name me better defensive ones?

should we just let QLD run around our backs like in game one?

taxidriver

Coach
He is great at defence yes, but defence is a team work thing, a structure thing, Beau Scott does that great for the Dragons. NSWs' defencive problems are not due to the players we pick but rather the team commitment towards defence.

you contradict yourself.

the coach certainly understands defensive structures, the commitment comes from the players.

we clearly haven't picked players who either understand or are committed to the structure.

they feel Scott will do the job

It's all about balance.

17 Haynes won't win you a game

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Beau Scott made this side on his own merits. He may not be the best attacking player in the game (he still isn't bad, for his size he does have speed and does have a good offload to position his outside men). He is without a doubt the best defensive center in the game, by a country mile. He's marking Inglis, it's pretty obvious why he was selected.

Soward will probably never play origin, he's the type of guy NSW likes to avoid. I have no doubts he would do a good job if selected though.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You say that like a Souths player will ever get picked...

John Sutton deserves it. Man of the match again tonight. Had like 23 Dally M points last year and more try assists both last year and this year than any other five-eighth that NSW could pick. He's also a far more damaging ball runner than Barrett, Soward etc.

He's also far better at having brainsnaps than either of those 2 either. Sutton when on his game can be brilliant, but when he's not he is woeful. There is no middle ground with him.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Another classic line...:lol::lol:

Ask any Souths fan if they have a problem with his consistency. It's a f**king myth.

To be fair, most of you are happy with Sandow at halfback. It says alot about the standards of the souths supporter base. Winning 1 game in every 3 or 4 has been deemed a successful year for most of your fans in their lifetime.

Bumble

First Grade
To be fair, most of you are happy with Sandow at halfback. It says alot about the standards of the souths supporter base. Winning 1 game in every 3 or 4 has been deemed a successful year for most of your fans in their lifetime.

Ok first of all with the squads we had from 2002-2007 winning one game in ten was a success :lol:

And I don't know how many Souffs fans are happy with Sandow. Personally, I think he has to improve a lot to be a decent first grade halfback.

As for Sutton, the whole inconsistency thing has become less of an issue in the last 2 years. He has about 4-5 good games for every average one.

Sleep

Juniors
NSW selectors planning years ahead? :lol:

These nuff nuffs picked Idris. They've got zero credibility.

Beau Scott only came onto the radar when Bennett said he would be a great option for NSW and blah blah blah. The selectors obviously read it and thought "Well this guy has a clue, we've been f**king it up for a few years now so we'll take his advice and run with it".

As I recall Bennett also said Soward wasn't up to Origin football so they've probably put a line through his name.

Getting a backrower to appose Inglis isnt a bad idea! NZ did it at the world cup with Simon Mannering and Inglis was quite in that match. Champion, Sutton, Merrit are awesome players, it's just unfortunate for them that there are also other good player going around.

Loudstrat

Coach
I have nothing against Beau Scott - in very good form for the Dragons. But picking a defensive centre against Inglis is a negative move - when we should be looking at shutting down the service that Thurston and Heather give him. That;'s the problem.

And if it comes down to a fight between Scott and Champion, I'll weigh in with Joel Reddy who has not only compensated for the deficiencies of Eric Grothe for 2 years, but never lets up on those he faces. In reality NSW have a ton of decent centres, just not a brain cell between selectors. I just cannot fathom how we can play a series without Michael Jennings having been part of it. We lost by 4 points in Sydney - you reckon defence and not attack is our problem?

Jenniongs would stroll past Folau before bogger ball boy knew what had happened.

I have nothing against Beau Scott - in very good form for the Dragons. But picking a defensive centre against Inglis is a negative move - when we should be looking at shutting down the service that Thurston and Heather give him. That;'s the problem.

And if it comes down to a fight between Scott and Champion, I'll weigh in with Joel Reddy who has not only compensated for the deficiencies of Eric Grothe for 2 years, but never lets up on those he faces. In reality NSW have a ton of decent centres, just not a brain cell between selectors. I just cannot fathom how we can play a series without Michael Jennings having been part of it. We lost by 4 points in Sydney - you reckon defence and not attack is our problem?

Jenniongs would stroll past Folau before bogger ball boy knew what had happened.
Very good point about Reddy, he was solid against Inglis in the grand final and he probably offers more attack than Scott. Because Hodges is out i would consider Jennings on the left hand but not on the right, Willie Tonga is not as good as Hodges on defence and would'nt be as big as an attacking threat as Inglis.

Godz Illa

Coach
Beau Champion scored 2 tries tonight. And 5 other times this season. And he's the leading tryscorer in the NRL. And his outside man is also into double digits for tries. And he's a solid defender.
Define: "solid defender". Because in the 50 point drubbing on Sunday, Champion missed 9 tackles, and only made 13.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would pick Soward outside Pearce. But NSW selectors only pick 100kg+ players so like Campbell will never get the gig no matter how many years he tops try assists etc. Yet don't pick a prop on the bench!!!:crazy:

I think if Slater was from NSW he wouldn't of got a start he's too small. I think nwe should pick the best 17 in their positions from the NRL season that's consistent and against the same players

Doug2234

First Grade
I would pick Soward outside Pearce. But NSW selectors only pick 100kg+ players so like Campbell will never get the gig no matter how many years he tops try assists etc. Yet don't pick a prop on the bench!!!:crazy:

I think if Slater was from NSW he wouldn't of got a start he's too small. I think nwe should pick the best 17 in their positions from the NRL season that's consistent and against the same players

I would pick Soward but im biased.

Perhaps the selectors dont want another repeat of this miraculous piece of play!!!

gordon-tallis-brett-hodgson.jpg

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Define: "solid defender". Because in the 50 point drubbing on Sunday, Champion missed 9 tackles, and only made 13.

True he had a shocker against the Bronocs, but so did the whole side.

I guess when you look at their attack, it is a no contest:

Champion: 10 linebreaks for 14 tries,
Scott: 1 linebreak for 1 try.

They are different players, no doubt, but don't try and tell me he is a better centre because he is a better tackler, because that is all he can do.

Zoggy

Juniors
True he had a shocker against the Bronocs, but so did the whole side.

I guess when you look at their attack, it is a no contest:

Champion: 10 linebreaks for 14 tries,
Scott: 1 linebreak for 1 try.

They are different players, no doubt, but don't try and tell me he is a better centre because he is a better tackler, because that is all he can do.

He has stacked up against Inglis a few times and shut him down. The selectors are obviously going of that stat. Seeing that Inglis has run a muck the past few games im glad they are going with Scott

18to87

First Grade
He has stacked up against Inglis a few times and shut him down. The selectors are obviously going of that stat. Seeing that Inglis has run a muck the past few games im glad they are going with Scott

THIS.

The best chance NSW have is keeping it a low scoring game and pulling out the winning try when the pressure is on as the game winds down. They don't need flair in attack like Jennings and Champion they just need to try and grind it out and limit QLD. With Jennings, Champion etc ... NSW will always lose a shoot out.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would pick Soward but im biased.

Perhaps the selectors dont want another repeat of this miraculous piece of play!!!

gordon-tallis-brett-hodgson.jpg

Yeah that's the problem with wanting your own in the team. But I look at it this way 2 years or so he has been up there with try assists and they have the same 1/2's for 2 years and are going for back to back MP. So weather you like him or the dragons with no other stand outs he's worth a shot

Yeah but they play Scott and Cooper as defenders so having a small 1/2 shouldn't matter as he would be around good defenders

As I said when is the last time Soward, Merritt, Jennings, Morris, Lawrence, Burt lost their teams games because of poor defence or being too small??

Compare that too them winning games and we would be better off