What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I smell Soward just around the corner....

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I remember at Origin level, Gasnier dominated Inglis pretty well, 08 I think it was game 1.

Last year at Parra, Joel Reddy shut down Inglis completely.

Idris also dominated Inglis attacking wise to a while ago. Not saying any of that matters, just that we shouldnt pick players based on the opposition.

My issue with picking Beau Scott is the reason we picked him. Can he shut down Inglis? yes. Can he shut down Inglis and Thuston? I highly doubt it (note, most of Inglis' line breaks are because of Thurtson and Lockyer).

And my biggest issue with picking Beau Scott, is he the best right hand center NSW have?

Last edited:

league

Juniors
Oh, and how's their record in big games? Remind me please..

As for that other romanticized dribble :lol:

Matt Cooper never lets NSW down? Has played about 30000 origin games and doesn't score any tries. Weyman got passed around like currency during Origin 1 and Beau Scott? I think he's about as potent in attack as Luke Stuart or Tim Grant.

As hybrid_tiger said, no player can control Inglis when he's on his game. Another gutless, 'safe' selection by the NSW selectors. Beau Champion scored another 2 tries tonight but can't get a look in. I give up.

so because the Dragons don't have a really good record in the big games, does this mean Soouffs players shouldn't even rate a mention because they havn't played a big game in decades?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Poor little Souths fans. Nobody loves them or their hack players... :lol:

Seriously though, Sutton should be there. Best 5/8 in NSW by a mile in terms of both talent and form.

Champion I'm not so sure. Personally I'd go for Morris 2 or Chris Lawrence ahead of him.

I'm really scratching my head with all the hate for Saints players. Obviously winning the MP last year and leading the comp this year are flukes, as none of our players are actually any good (at least according to the know-it-alls on this forum). I'm also scratching my head at all the "they're only picked because they play for St. George" crap. If this were actually the case, both Soward and Morris would have been selected last year.

Champion owned Lawrence when they last met up, made him look like a gimp.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Champion owned Lawrence when they last met up, made him look like a gimp.

Our whole side that day was completely off.

I would pick Lawrence first because IMO he has proved himself over a longer period of time than Champion. He has been excellent and largely very consistent (bar a couple of odd errors) for a good 12-18 months. He also never has two poor games in a row.

I'd pick Jennings before both of them though. He has done nothing wrong this year and should have been selected, firstly over that dreadlocked "biggest human in the world" myth.

Fein

First Grade
Our whole side that day was completely off.

I would pick Lawrence first because IMO he has proved himself over a longer period of time than Champion. He has been excellent and largely very consistent (bar a couple of odd errors) for a good 12-18 months. He also never has two poor games in a row.

I'd pick Jennings before both of them though. He has done nothing wrong this year and should have been selected, firstly over that dreadlocked "biggest human in the world" myth.

Mate, I'd be happy with any of those three.

On 2010 form I couldn't go past Champion as the first centre picked, as biased at that may sound.

From the bit I have seen of Lawrence this year, he doesn't seem to be in as good form as 2009, even though he is still playing very well.

I put that down to Lote sharing the load with him on that left side.

Would you agree with that?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Mate, I'd be happy with any of those three.

On 2010 form I couldn't go past Champion as the first centre picked, as biased at that may sound.

From the bit I have seen of Lawrence this year, he doesn't seem to be in as good form as 2009, even though he is still playing very well.

I put that down to Lote sharing the load with him on that left side.

Would you agree with that?

I think he's been just as good as last year - there was a few weeks when we had those four straight losses that he was quiet - but we did not get any ball over to the left side. For some reason we kept going to our weaker right side attack and Lote and Lawrence were left out in the cold.

Last few weeks he has been more involved as we've gone to the left with good early ball. I thought he was excellent on Friday against the Dogs.

The winger outside Lawrence always scores plenty of tries, I think that tells you how effective he is at giving early, good ball.

I would have picked Jennings first - he's done nothing wrong and I can't believe they overlooked him.

Fein

First Grade
I think he's been just as good as last year - there was a few weeks when we had those four straight losses that he was quiet - but we did not get any ball over to the left side. For some reason we kept going to our weaker right side attack and Lote and Lawrence were left out in the cold.

Last few weeks he has been more involved as we've gone to the left with good early ball. I thought he was excellent on Friday against the Dogs.

The winger outside Lawrence always scores plenty of tries, I think that tells you how effective he is at giving early, good ball.

I would have picked Jennings first - he's done nothing wrong and I can't believe they overlooked him.

Fair enough and good to see he's at the top of his game.

He's a great player to watch, even if he's not "as good as Beau Scott" in the eyes of the dragtards fans. :lol:

Bumble

First Grade
I completely agree - obviously I have a Souffs bias but I'd be just as happy to see Jennings or Lawrence in there.

Instead we get Idris and 30000 dragons players...

league

Juniors

And how many tries has the winger on Cooper's side scored this year?? Nightingale hasn't done that badly either on the other side of the field. Do we credit both centres for the 20 odd tries between St George's winger's or does this 'championing' only apply to Wests and Lawrence?:lol:

redvscotty

First Grade
There is no point arguing. Unless the Dragons are lower than Melbourne on the 2010 ladder no one will be happy with ANY of their players being selected.

taxidriver

Coach
didnt Wayne Bennett say that if NSw wanted to beat QLD, they should pick Scott?

he's a good enough judge for me

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Wayne Bennett also lost Australia the first Test Series for Australia in 30 odd years. He is the best, does not mean he is always right.

No one can sit there and say that Beau Scott is one of the 2 best centers NSW have. NO ONE!

He is great at defence yes, but defence is a team work thing, a structure thing, Beau Scott does that great for the Dragons. NSWs' defencive problems are not due to the players we pick but rather the team commitment towards defence.

Look at Brent Tates efforts a few years ago for Qld, do you honestly think they picked him for his defence? God no, he was fantastic for his defence though.

A selection that proves that the NSW selectors have lost it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
And how many tries has the winger on Cooper's side scored this year?? Nightingale hasn't done that badly either on the other side of the field. Do we credit both centres for the 20 odd tries between St George's winger's or does this 'championing' only apply to Wests and Lawrence?:lol:

Honestly, can you sit here with a straight face and tell me Beau Scott is a good attacking player?

Yes or no?