What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I took drugs my whole career: Andrew Johns

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I only caught the end of that interview but that was pretty full on.

I'm not surprised at all though. I'd imagine there's more than a few players in the same boat.
The fact that Matty was expecting Brian Carney to tell him that his brother was dead just indicates what level Joey was into this.

Bloody hell even Shannon Noll was teary eyed after the ad break.

Gibbo

Juniors
By far the most painful thing I have ever seen on the Footy Show....

....well, except for Craig McLachlan of course.

Nook

Bench
Thought that was a fair interview.

Johns deserves credit for putting his hand up - something that lot's of other sportsmen are reluctant to do in similar circumstances.

If we take him at his word he's also been diagnosed with depression and on medication for the last 5 years - so it isn't just a cop out.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
eastsrule said:
Timmah.

Mate, you are a tool.

You have almost 40 000 posts on an internet forum.

You're an internet poster on a forum calling another poster a tool for their post count.

You're either jealous of a number or have no idea about the concept of irony.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
perverse - 100% agree it took big balls and a ton of courage to come on a show and do the interview and good on him for at least fronting the circus.

Doesn't change my opinion on the drug use. Either way, attacking me for being on a 'moral high horse' is f**king pathetic. Joey made a mistake and is paying for it. Trying to rub it out as "okay" because "everyone does it"?

Get a grip on reality.

drake

First Grade
One day I watched a bunch of fellas cooking up a batch of E. It contained:
Heroin
Pseudoephedrine
Ratsack (for that lovely Strychnine hallucenogenic buzz)
Ground glass (to cut the lining of your stomach so the rest enters the blood quicker)

Ain't no quality assurance or Choice magazine reviews of your 'pingers', selling 1000 pills full of crap to idiots at a rave is a lot more profitable than selling quality to friends.

Ebenezer Good? if your f**ken lucky.

Dazzat

First Grade
Personally I think the influence that so-called role models have on our young people is massively overstated. Parents and friends are much more influential.

So my wish and prayer is that Joey gets is life together.

And the other thing that came out of tonight's interview with Phil Gould. Illegal drugs AREN'T the problem. ALCOHOL leads to harder drugs ... you heard straight from Mr Johns himself. Illegal drugs were not on the agenda UNTIL he got tanked. Interesting.

Shorty

Staff member
An41 said:
Its pingers no big deal, alcohol cause more problems
Oh ffs.
They're still drugs,they're still drugs that a legend that many kids look up to.
And now,no matter who tells them they will feel validated to take drugs because their hero did it.

And who gives a f**k if it doesn't kill as many people as the more heavy drugs,it doesn't mean it doesn't happen and it doesn't mean it won't.

Sure enough stick up for people flying off the handle about this but no way in any shape or form should you validate drugs.

brooksy19

Bench
drake said:
Gus Gould's interview seemed to do two things besides give the Footy Show some ratings (first time I've watched in years)
1) He seemed to be warning other players that this is what happens, and it is not so hard a thing to happen
2)Offer an escape hatch for Johns as a reformed user helping others.

Johns looked like he wanted to vomit (I actually pitied tha foo') and Gus looked like he wanted nothing more to do with Johns.

Yeah thats hwo I saw it.

A massive warning to other footy players and that he is disgusted with Johns and doesn't want to know about him.

Not surprised by it all, but its still shocking its came out like this.

ToiletDuck

Juniors
Yeah Timmah, way to piss the point.

And it is f**ken E, who gives a sh*t. Has nothing to do with his ability. He's like 1 of how many league players/people who do E. If you wan't to blame anyone for the PR, blame the press. He's retired, he's in the UK, and he had an eccy in his pocket. Big f**ken woop.

Garts

Bench
He farked up, drugs are bad etc etc but what he did tonight took alot of balls. I applaud him for it, and I never really liked Johns.

Some people are saying they have lost respect for him, he cheated etc etc. Well I am sure they would probably lose respect for alot of their own players if they found out what went on but keep your heads in the sand.

eastsrule

Bench
Drew-Sta said:
You're an internet poster on a forum calling another poster a tool for their post count.

You're either jealous of a number or have no idea about the concept of irony.

I am damn jealous of a post count, it's a fantastic achievement.

In terms of the irony, I fail to see it. My post count is roughly a 40th of what his is.

But good on you for sticking up for him. :p