What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Kiwi

First Grade
our roster is stronger because of it so I can live with that. We could land Merrin because of it so win win.

DeeJ

Bench
Why would we want fatty Merrin. He's not not that good to be a marquee forward and our backrow is full. Putting him at prop would just be another undersized prop in our team.

Kiwi

First Grade
Why would we want fatty Merrin. He's not not that good to be a marquee forward and our backrow is full. Putting him at prop would just be another undersized prop in our team.
Clearly you didn't watch Merrin play before this year where he carried an injury for most of it. Merrin would be a very good pick up, and every prop doesn't have to be some big f**king monster, getting kinda sick of that being a must.

DeeJ

Bench
Clearly you didn't watch Merrin play before this year where he carried an injury for most of it. Merrin would be a very good pick up, and every prop doesn't have to be some big f**king monster, getting kinda sick of that being a must.

I never said he was bad, I said he isn't suitable for what we need and not worth $500k+.

Not every prop has to be huge, but look at the teams that made the grand finals this year and compare them to our props. We lack size, plain and simple, and shoving more backrowers into the middle won't solve it.

Dazzat

First Grade
To pay out his contract. Didn't we sign him for three years?

It probably works out Kennedy earned around $900 per metre he gained on the field. Good money if you can get it.

Kiwi

First Grade
I never said he was bad, I said he isn't suitable for what we need and not worth $500k+.

Not every prop has to be huge, but look at the teams that made the grand finals this year and compare them to our props. We lack size, plain and simple, and shoving more backrowers into the middle won't solve it.

Yeah because this isn't saying he is bad or over rated in a round about way

Why would we want fatty Merrin. He's not not that good to be a marquee forward
Merrin is a front rower, not a back rower, he plays the middle of the field, he breaks tackles, bends the line, breaks the line, has an offload, yeah no you're right what was I thinking we don't need a prop like that pushing Parker back into lock, what was I thinking.

As for us lacking size

Garbutt - 190cm - 113kg
Joe O - 187cm - 112kg
Oates - 192cm - 106kg
Molo - 183cm - 115kg

Plenty of size there. One team wins a grand final in how many years that has a monster pack and suddenly everyone thinks their teams pack needs to be huge.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Merrin is quality - no doubt. When NSW first picked him I wondered why. But after watching him at club and Origin level, he is very similar in ability to Corey Parker in terms of offloads and bending the line. He's listed at 103 kg so not quite the size we're looking for - but 2015 looks like the year of the small front rower for the Broncos (yes Garbutt, Joe O and Molo are big units, but how much game time will they be getting)?

It's reported that Merrin wanted over $700,000 a season to stay at St George ... which is code for he wants to leave.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think Merrin is very similar to Graham at the Dogs, he was awesome under Bennett, and I think if we had a forward pack like the one below we would be in a very very strong position next year and Hunt and Milford would only have themselves to blame if they didn't perform because they would have plenty of room to move behind it.

8 - McGuire
9 - McCullough
10 - Merrin
11 - Glenn
12 - Thaiday
13 - Parker

14 - Gillett
15 - Garbutt
16 - Oates
17 - Joe O

That is a great mix of experience, endurance, size, skill and impact for a forward pack.

Could you imagine the impact that bench could start to have 20 into the game... freaking awesome, forget the opposition salivating, I'm salivating if we get Merrin.

Kiwi

First Grade
Not really. McGuire is great but it's not like we had depth to cover Webcke effectively when he gog hurt or Petero. Your depth is never going to be as good as you top line that will always be a fact. Wallace, Dodds, Gavet, Molo ect are all blokes who can step and fill in when needed. We're stuffed if Hunt gets hurt, does that mean we need to have a player just as good waiting just in case? No it doesn't. Injuries happen and you need to have all bases covered easily which we do as best you can considering the cap ect, I think we have it covered.

Dazzat

First Grade
Reports that Hoffman (better known as Ima Fullback) has signed with the Titans. He'll have a battle with Zillman and Mead for the fullback position.

Even New Zealand and Brisbane coach Kearney preferred a winger from Manly over Ima for the Kiwi fullback position.

So to sum up, we have a winger who thinks he is a fullback moving to the Gold Coast to be a fullback, while New Zealand prefers picking a winger to play fullback for Four Nations.

And we have a Queensland SOO winger moving to Brisbane to be a fullback.

We have another fullback who came to Brisbane for family reasons, who ended up playing No. 6 reportedly moving to Sydney.

All these demands a new reality show - Fullbacks.

Kiwi

First Grade
Reports that Hoffman (better known as Ima Fullback) has signed with the Titans. He'll have a battle with Zillman and Mead for the fullback position.

Even New Zealand and Brisbane coach Kearney preferred a winger from Manly over Ima for the Kiwi fullback position.

So to sum up, we have a winger who thinks he is a fullback moving to the Gold Coast to be a fullback, while New Zealand prefers picking a winger to play fullback for Four Nations.

And we have a Queensland SOO winger moving to Brisbane to be a fullback.

We have another fullback who came to Brisbane for family reasons, who ended up playing No. 6 reportedly moving to Sydney.

All these demands a new reality show - Fullbacks.

I must admit that made me chuckle.

Dazzat

First Grade
Not to mention the fullback who thinks he's a quarterback, and the fullback called "Snake" who wants to be an Eel and the other one who thinks he's a goanna.

Thank God for Billy Slater - at least he's normal!

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm started to feel decidedly uncomfortable with only three recognised fullback signed.