What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Kiwi

First Grade
This argument reminds me of a recent episode of The League where Jenny was a size supremacist. :lol:

The Rabbitohs were amazing but I don't think they won based purely on their size - it was their discipline and athletic skill that was the highlight.

I wouldn't call the Dogs pack that big either.

Graham & Jackson only stand at 180cm.
Tolman 183cm
Eastwood 184cm

Williams was the only player in their starting pack that you would call big and he was as much a liability as he was helpful.

The big bench may have helped but I'd dare say Graham, Eastwood, Jackson & Tolman were the stars of that team.

shhhhhh people don't like facts around here

Seriously though, couldn't agree more.

Kiwi

First Grade
Clearly we have different views.

We have three front rowers tipping the scales at over 110kg easily, Oates will probably be pushing that next year as well and he certainly has the height, Thaiday tips the scales at 110kg, so that's 5 big men we can use. In terms of speed we have some of the quickest backrowers in the comp, Hunt and Milford would be second to none in terms of speed for halves, Boyd and Copely aren't slouches and we scored more long range tries in 2014 than we probably have in the 4 years prior to that probably and our backline is faster in 2015.

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
Lets compare the size of our pack to the size of the Rabbitohs for next year shall we. As you can see we ain't far off the mark size wise. The biggest myth is the size of the entire Bunnies pack, it's the Burgess brothers that are huge, and the reality is George and Sam are the pick of the litter and the other 2 go alright but are nothing special. SO size wise again I say, we are fine

McGuire - 106kg
McCullough - 93kg
Parker - 102kg
Thaiday - 110kg
Glenn - 102kg
Gillett - 101kg

Garbutt - 113kg
Joe O - 112kg
Oates - 106kg ( my guess would be he will be heavier than this by the start of 2015 and pushing 110kg )

Combined 945kg ( Molo at 115kg could easily force his way into the team as aswell and slot onto the bench seeing as Glenn, Gillett and Oates can slot into the backs if injury requires it pushing the pack up to 1060kg. Gavet when fit could also take the 4th spot on the bench at 108kg pushing it up to 1053kg )

G Burgess - 120kg
Luke - 89kg
Tyrell - 102kg
McQueen - 102kg
Stewart - 103kg
Sutton - 105kg

T Burgess - 120kg
Grant - 112kg
Lowe - 101kg

Combined 954kg, so only a 9kg advantage over our pack size wise. Yes we have some inexperience, but we also have a lot more experience in our pack than this one does.

or should someone tell the Rabbits their pack isn't big enough?

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes .. size and experience. A package deal. You need both. You also need mobility and skill. A pack full of George Rose's won't cut it.

Kiwi, you can continue defending the Broncos pack as it stands now, but even Shane Webke has said that its looking shaky next year because of the issues we have already spoken about.

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. If size wasn't an issue, let's just have a pack full of little 90 kg backrowers!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Just face the fact that the Broncs pack isn't as good as the top echelon of packs in the comp. There is little impact and there is a lack of a game breaking forward. Every good pack has one, Sam Burgess, SBW, James Graham. Thats the point everyones trying to make.

Kiwi

First Grade
Just face the fact that the Broncs pack isn't as good as the top echelon of packs in the comp. There is little impact and there is a lack of a game breaking forward. Every good pack has one, Sam Burgess, SBW, James Graham. Thats the point everyones trying to make.

South don't have Sam Burgess's anymore guess Teo will have to step.... oh balls he is gone too. Your two game breaking forwards are gone, sure you still have George but he is not even close to those consistency wise.

and clearly you didn't watch Parker game 3 in origin or up against the Poms

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Rabbitohs 95 buddy, our back row is something special (when they're on their game). I have high hopes for Oates this year - I think playing in the forwards was a bit of a learning curve for him, and he came in after a disrupted off season.

Dazzat

First Grade
The issue isn't about individual "game breaking" forwards. Plenty of teams over the years have had "game breaking" players and failed to win competitions or in many cases, even make the finals.

The point is the depth of the Brisbane pack, and in particular the size and experience.

Kiwi

First Grade
We've discussed the size thing so many times, and the truth there is we have it.

As for the experience

McGuire - 111
McCullough - 146
Parker - 299
Thaiday - 207
Glenn - 143
Gillett - 106

That's plenty of experience right there, McGuire and Gillett being the least experienced of the starting pack, but still over 100 games. Sure our bench doesn't have a huge amount of experience, but we have a shitload in the starting forwards.

Kiwi

First Grade
I don't honestly think we'll get Folau, but the fact that stars are starting to talk about playing under Bennett at the Broncos again just goes to show how much pull the club still has when coached and run properly.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh definitley agree there.

Was really depressed last year on the back of our 3d loss and I think BP saying how we aren't the club people want to come play for anymore. Who the hell aspires to train under Peter Griffin zzz.

Getting Bennett back will be the best thing to happen to the club

Big Pete

Referee
I was probably the bloke saying 'chin up fellas, it's only footy.' :lol:

There definitely seems to be more direction and confidence about the place. Let's hope they perform to expectation.

Dazzat

First Grade
My little take on the change already - Griffin was dead scared of the press. Bennett couldn't care less about the press ... ha ha.

Pete ... only footy! Could be why I just wonder around aimlessly now on weekends.

u4er

Juniors
I just hope the Broncos are talking to Uncle Benny about a good succession plan, or we'll be right back where we started in 3 years time when he retires. Still, so good to have him back. I think I actually shed a tear when he left.

Kiwi

First Grade
I just hope the Broncos are talking to Uncle Benny about a good succession plan, or we'll be right back where we started in 3 years time when he retires. Still, so good to have him back. I think I actually shed a tear when he left.
It is not Bennett's job to have such a plan.

Latest posts