What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Kiwi

First Grade
Here is the thing though Brisbane haven't just released them. They had a choice, their contracts would be honored but they weren't guaranteed spots in the 17 or they could negotiate with other clubs. The Broncos didn't just release them and say good luck your released. If they had then yep for sure it would cost us alot. Players are released all the time when a player wants to leave, it doesn't automatically cost tbe club.

It all comes down to how it's done, Broncos have done it in a way that puts them in the box seat, and you don't come out and publicly say you now have enough under the cap for compete for any player you want if you are playing enough money to secure a top line player or two for released players.

Kiwi

First Grade
Read the sharks article already, that has nothing to do with cap space and more to do with what the club can actually afford.

hellteam

First Grade
Here is the thing though Brisbane haven't just released them. They had a choice, their contracts would be honored but they weren't guaranteed spots in the 17 or they could negotiate with other clubs. The Broncos didn't just release them and say good luck your released. If they had then yep for sure it would cost us alot. Players are released all the time when a player wants to leave, it doesn't automatically cost tbe club.

It all comes down to how it's done, Broncos have done it in a way that puts them in the box seat, and you don't come out and publicly say you now have enough under the cap for compete for any player you want if you are playing enough money to secure a top line player or two for released players.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's more like "we paid too much money for these players and now we don't want them under our salary cap so we are paying other clubs to take them away." And the broncos are obviously in a position to be able to do that, and paying parts of old players salary would not be included under the cap if I understand correctly

Spot On

Coach

When Barba left the Dogs he did so because he wanted out. Canterbury played their cards right and said he could go to Brissy BUT only if a compensation package was suitable. Barba wanted out and had a suitor in the Broncs.

This time, the Broncs want him gone and need a club to pick him up. He has another 2 years on his contract at pretty good dollars. His contract is to be upgraded in 2016. Bennett doesn't want Barba and so has told him he's next to no chance of making the 17 so maybe it's best to look elsewhere. They need a club to pay him a good wage to cover what he would be getting the next two seasons at Brissy. They can't sack him. They must pay him if he stays. Hence the reason Brissy will have to help out a little bit to cover the difference between his old and new contract - or thereabouts depending on the negotiations between the two clubs.

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
When Barba left the Dogs he did so because he wanted out. Canterbury played their cards right and said he could go to Brissy BUT only if a compensation package was suitable. Barba wanted out and had a suitor in the Broncs.

This time, the Broncs want him gone and need a club to pick him up. He has another 2 years on his contract at pretty good dollars. His contract is to be upgraded in 2016. Bennett doesn't want Barba and so has told him he's next to no chance of making the 17 so maybe it's best to look elsewhere. They need a club to pay him a good wage to cover what he would be getting the next two seasons at Brissy. They can't sack him. They must pay him if he stays. Hence the reason Brissy will have to help out a little bit to cover the difference between his old and new contract - or thereabouts depending on the negotiations between the two clubs.
ALL the players the Broncos have released have been given permission to look elsewhere, if any of them wanted to stay and try and force their way into the team they could have.

Barba could have stayed and tried to take the fullback spot, chose not to. Same with Hoffman and Kennedy, they could have stayed and tried to prove their worth, they all chose the walk out the door option, the players themselves were put in a position where they stayed or asked for a release and it was in each players best interest to ask for a release. Makes it alot different for the Broncos and what they might pay of their contracts at others clubs.

Maybe so, but pay they will. Unless a club says hey all good we are happy to give them what you contracted them for. very unlikely.

So Broncs pay part of their salary and retain the rest that they otherwise would have had to give them to play in QLD cup. Spend that on an exceptional recruit... You know like a fullback

Spot On

Coach
ALL the players the Broncos have released have been given permission to look elsewhere, if any of them wanted to stay and try and force their way into the team they could have.

Barba could have stayed and tried to take the fullback spot, chose not to. Same with Hoffman and Kennedy, they could have stayed and tried to prove their worth, they all chose the walk out the door option, the players themselves were put in a position where they stayed or asked for a release and it was in each players best interest to ask for a release. Makes it alot different for the Broncos and what they might pay of their contracts at others clubs.

That's one way of looking at it but we both know he's not wanted and the best result for the Broncs is for another club to pick him up and negotiate a deal to cover the shortfall. A bit of a win/win for both clubs. One gets rid of something they don't need or want and free up some $$$$$ while they other gets a player they think they need but for less than they would have to pay if he was at the top of his game and in high demand.

If Boyd and Milford fall over this arvo and both do their knees Bennett might see a reason to keep him.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Maybe so, but pay they will. Unless a club says hey all good we are happy to give them what you contracted them for. very unlikely.

So Broncs pay part of their salary and retain the rest that they otherwise would have had to give them to play in QLD cup. Spend that on an exceptional recruit... You know like a fullback

We'll the club would have shit for brains hey!

Kiwi

First Grade
That's one way of looking at it but we both know he's not wanted and the best result for the Broncs is for another club to pick him up and negotiate a deal to cover the shortfall. A bit of a win/win for both clubs. One gets rid of something they don't need or want and free up some $$$$$ while they other gets a player they think they need but for less than they would have to pay if he was at the top of his game and in high demand.

If Boyd and Milford fall over this arvo and both do their knees Bennett might see a reason to keep him.
He may not be wanted, but the club did it the smart way, they didn't just release these players, like it or not we are not paying squat of their contracts. If Kennedy was getting paid what he was at the Broncos why did he say he was earning less? We are obviously not footing the bill for him otherwise he would be on the same as he was with us. Unwanted or not when a player requests the release which they were all forcef to the club has to pay squat otherwise there is ZERO benefit to releasing a player when they ask for it and we would see far less in the way of players being released.

Dazzat

First Grade
Only if Barba improves SIGNIFICANTLY. On last year's form I wouldn't give him a start in the ISC.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I defended barba for most of last year, but seriously his form was terrible. He didn't show a lot of effort and seemed terrified to get tackled. You can't blame hook for him being scared of physical contact. I kept waiting for him to start showing glimpses of what he did in his dally m year but we got maybe one or two glimpses.

Realistically in 2015 he won't be in the 6 cos of milford. His efforts at fullback were poor and I'd be inclined to give someone else a go ( I think we still have 5 fullbacks on our books)

I'd be happy for him to stay and put in the effort and prove me and a lot of others wrong. But for any other club interested in him, I'm not sure what you'll need to do to turn him around.

Bulldog Force

Referee

That's what I don't understand about the Barba situation. Why was there all this commotion when he wanted to go to Brisbane, then leaves without putting up so much as a fight for FB when Bennett comes in. Has he forgotten the whole reason why he left the Bulldogs to begin with? Now he's again far away from his children and back in Sydney.

cb4

First Grade
That's what I don't understand about the Barba situation. Why was there all this commotion when he wanted to go to Brisbane, then leaves without putting up so much as a fight for FB when Bennett comes in. Has he forgotten the whole reason why he left the Bulldogs to begin with? Now he's again far away from his children and back in Sydney.

Ben is back with the mother of his children, and they just had their third child. The hold up on this is just the relocation, which the Sharks are helping with, and the terms of his release from Brisbane.

Negotiations are all but done, and the Bronco's will be throwing in a kicker for 1 year only. That is the mail I have from a day ago, but I was very seedy yesterday so can only relay today.

Ben is back with the mother of his children, and they just had their third child. The hold up on this is just the relocation, which the Sharks are helping with, and the terms of his release from Brisbane.

Negotiations are all but done, and the Bronco's will be throwing in a kicker for 1 year only. That is the mail I have from a day ago, but I was very seedy yesterday so can only relay today.

What he said

Kiwi

First Grade
Can live with one year, considering we ain't paying for Hala, Hoffman and Kennedy to leave 1 year works for me, means we will sign a big name for 2016 easily.

Latest posts