What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis off to the Broncos???

Packy

Bench
Hardly surprising. I can't believe some people believed he was any chance to head to some of the lets be honest, nuffy clubs in the comp. Money or not he would of laughed off their offers.

I don't see why if he gets traded to Brisbane he can't re-negotiate his deal there. They'd of just freed up substantial cash with Folau leaving.

People will cry about it and whinge "It's not fair he should of come to x club". Pfft. Chances are he didn't want to play for your scrub team.

Think about it, would you rather play for a club that you know has little to no chance of making the finals, with or without you on huge money. Or would you rather go to a club that is in the finals every year without fail, has a top notch playing roster and is a chance to take out the premiership and still be paid pretty handsomely.

I think I know where I'm going.

The other teams that were supposedly in the hunt would of been stretching the cap because they'd have to pay him overs to join them.

Broncos taking the finals for granted are a thing of the past imo.

gUt

Coach
Packy is right, that's why it's going to be extra sweet when we win the comp this year.

user_nat

Coach
Indeed

Broncos pull out of deal for Inglis
Brisbane have pulled out of negotiations for NRL superstar Greg Inglis who is now almost certain to remain with Melbourne.

Inglis' manager Allan Gainey contacted the Broncos' general manager of football operations Andrew Gee on Monday to inform him the offer made to the Queensland and Australian centre earlier in day was not enough to get him to Brisbane.

"They've knocked it back," Gee told AAP.

"It was non-negotiable, so the deal is off."

Gee has been having informal talks with Gainey about Inglis for almost a month.

Inglis approached Melbourne on Saturday and the club reluctantly agreed to give him a release provided the offer he was made was comparable to his current deal with the Storm.

It's understand Brisbane's offer was "very attractive".

"Gainey contact me today (Monday) and wanted to know what we were prepared to offer Greg," said Gee.

"They wanted to know quickly, so we put out offer on the table.

"Gainey called me back (Monday afternoon) and said it was not acceptable."

Inglis is now expected to inform Melbourne he will stay with the club next year.

Brisbane had been very keen to sign Inglis with its own superstar centre Israel Folau heading over the AFL next season.

Inglis approached Melbourne on Saturday for a release for personal reasons.

The Queensland Origin star owns a house in the Brisbane suburb of Paddington, 10 minutes from the Broncos' headquarters, and his fiancee, Sally Robinson, works in Brisbane.
link

So.. how will Melbourne possibly get under the cap next year if they won't let the big 4 go?

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Indeed

link

So.. how will Melbourne possibly get under the cap next year if they won't let the big 4 go?

It'll be tough, but there's plenty of blokes at the Storm on inflated contracts purely because they happened to be part of the successful Storm team.

Quinn, White, Hoffman, Finch, Lima and MacDougall they will let go without batting an eyelid. I don't think it's at all unlikely that that's a fair bit over $1million gone right there.

They might have to make a couple of tough decisions about Nielsen and Sika Manu or Adam Blair as well, but in the short-term I can see them replacing all these rep players with their superstar juniors who really are cherrypicked from every other club's best off the production line.

The problem will come later when all these young replacements tear it up and their market value increases.

Last edited:

jc155776

Coach
Indeed

link

I am guessing they will run the risk of having 4 players taking up 50% of the cap and filling the rest of the 25 man squad with under 20's and discards wanting to prove themselves.

Risky, but I guess worth a shot.

Gaba

First Grade
i think this broncos and inglis fiasco , could help the nrl prove the storm players in question and managers knew exactly what they were getting

petetheileet

First Grade
absolutley....

Not help prove...but its becoming obvious!

would be able to get nowhere near what they could on the opn market

eels_fan

First Grade
I have heard up here that the Broncos offered $450k + 3rd Party deals bringing the deal close to $500k per season - Inglis' manager was asking for $600k for him to move to brissie

m0nty

Juniors
The way it's going the Storm will field four players in every game next season. Fair to say there might be some holes in the defence.

user_nat

Coach
The way it's going the Storm will field four players in every game next season. Fair to say there might be some holes in the defence.

They would have to forfeit the games that take place on State of Origin weekends.

some11

Referee
I have heard up here that the Broncos offered $450k + 3rd Party deals bringing the deal close to $500k per season - Inglis' manager was asking for $600k for him to move to brissie

Wait until after the rort report is released tomorrow...

Doomednow

Bench
So originally he wanted to stay with the Storm, then that looked unlikely so he was looking at big money in Brisbane. Then he decides to bail out of that deal...

So. Good news for Melbourne from Deloitte perhaps? He obviously likes his chances of staying down there. I've got a bad feeling firming up that there will be next to zero consequences for the club or players.

IMO they need to lose one of the big 4 to give this club some hope next year if winning some games...I find it concerning that they are looking to offload the likes of Hoffman, Lima, Blair, Proctor etc who are good players in their own right and set the platform for the big 4 to excel.

I would rather the likes of Kevin Proctor and Hoffman be retained than keep Inglis. These players add the depth that the club will need.

They can gamble on youth and surround the big 4 with a whole lot of under 20's but this does not address the need for some experience around the supporting positions such as the props and backrow.

thorson1987

Coach
IMO they need to lose one of the big 4 to give this club some hope next year if winning some games...I find it concerning that they are looking to offload the likes of Hoffman, Lima, Blair, Proctor etc who are good players in their own right and set the platform for the big 4 to excel.

I would rather the likes of Kevin Proctor and Hoffman be retained than keep Inglis. These players add the depth that the club will need.

They can gamble on youth and surround the big 4 with a whole lot of under 20's but this does not address the need for some experience around the supporting positions such as the props and backrow.

This x 10000000000