What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis off to the Broncos???

johns_reds

First Grade
Am I the only one who thinks this stinks to high heaven, and News (with their new-found commitments to independence and integrity) should be running a mile from transferring one of Melbourne's stars.... to the other News Ltd bankrolled team...?

Nice of them to spread the talent around (to their other team)

He wants to go where his missus lives.
He wants to play with lockyer.

These are the reasons why he wants to play for broncos, this isn't afl, there isn't a draft, a player has freedom of choice, if he doesn't want to play for cellar dwellers such as the cronulla's, knights, cowboys then he doesn't have to.

Cowboys are a news ltd owned side, would you kick up a stink if he went there? or would it be ok because they are near the bottom?

macavity

Referee
I am not talking about where he wants to play. This isn't about where he wants to play - this is about concessions being given from one News Ltd club to another - concessions which wouldn't be given to other clubs.

I am talking about the two clubs "smoothing the way" to make it happen.... and then the owner of both, and part owner of the NRL, asking for the NRL to help (Hartigan).

I am wondering out aloud if the Storm would be so accommodating if (say) he was wanting to go to Newcastle or Cronulla and not the Broncos.

As far as I am aware, Inglis is only allowed to talk to the Broncos. Again, the Storm give the Broncos a helping hand, whilst playing silly buggers with the other clubs.

If reports are correct, and Brisbane are offering $400k - it is concievable that the Storm will still have $200k+ to wear.

My question is would they wear that much if he was to transfer to another club - and regardless is it appropriate for one News Ltd club to be wearing cap space on behalf of the other. Alternatively, what dispensations will be made (by the News-owned NRL) for News to shuffle the deck chairs here?

This stinks to high heaven, and the only people who think otherwise are Broncos fans, and idiots.

P.S. the Cowboys aren't News owned anymore.

gerg

Juniors
He wants to go where his missus lives.
He wants to play with lockyer.

These are the reasons why he wants to play for broncos, this isn't afl, there isn't a draft, a player has freedom of choice, if he doesn't want to play for cellar dwellers such as the cronulla's, knights, cowboys then he doesn't have to.

Cowboys are a news ltd owned side, would you kick up a stink if he went there? or would it be ok because they are near the bottom?

As far as I'm aware, Brisbane cannot afford to pay Inglis his 600+ contract. From reports Brisbane could only offer him 400 and News Ltd had offered to subsidise the remainder of his contract, which Melbourne/News is expected to do. If you cannot see a conflict of interest.....

Joker's Wild

Coach
In light of the points made in this thread, David Gallop has made the following statement:

"Errm...ummm...hmmm..."

AuDragon

Juniors
As far as I'm aware, Brisbane cannot afford to pay Inglis his 600+ contract. From reports Brisbane could only offer him 400 and News Ltd had offered to subsidise the remainder of his contract, which Melbourne/News is expected to do. If you cannot see a conflict of interest.....
That's a load of BS. Source?

According to all the reports I have read so far, it was Inglis that asked to talk to the Broncos for well known reasons.
The first offer was rejected and Inglis came knocking back on the door, while the Broncos still won't budge on the reported $400k offer. However, due to the new allowances on third party deals, they are looking at topping it up to his current salary (anywhere between $575k and $650k, according to the media).
At no point has the Storm agreed to top up the salary, nor has News Ltd offered to subsidise anything!

Inglis wants to come to the Broncos, who have plenty of room in the salary cap to pay him and the corporate sponsorships to make it stick, end of story. :arrow:

He won't even consider the Titans, who are only down the M1 FFS, what's this Newcastle, Cronulla or Canberra talk? :roll:

Big Pete

Referee
macavity other clubs have contacted Inglis, he's knocked them all back.

Considering who the Broncos have lost, I don't think it's the least bit suspect that they can sign Inglis.

macavity

Referee
Let the buzzard rot in the ESL. Or worse yet, AFL.

Again, only Broncos fans and idiots see no problem with this.

gerg

Juniors

According to all the reports I have read so far, it was Inglis that asked to talk to the Broncos for well known reasons.
The first offer was rejected and Inglis came knocking back on the door, while the Broncos still won't budge on the reported $400k offer. However, due to the new allowances on third party deals, they are looking at topping it up to his current salary (anywhere between $575k and $650k, according to the media).
At no point has the Storm agreed to top up the salary, nor has News Ltd offered to subsidise anything!

Inglis wants to come to the Broncos, who have plenty of room in the salary cap to pay him and the corporate sponsorships to make it stick, end of story. :arrow:

He won't even consider the Titans, who are only down the M1 FFS, what's this Newcastle, Cronulla or Canberra talk? :roll:

Why do I need a source? Its a well known fact that when a player is released to play for another club at a lesser contract the team the player is leaving subsidises their contract. Brett Finch was being paid by Parramatta, maybe he still is.

How come the Storm are being so, one might say helpful to the Broncos, yet every other club is being given the cold shoulder when trying to negotiate with other players.

DeBroncos

Juniors
Why do I need a source? Its a well known fact that when a player is released to play for another club at a lesser contract the team the player is leaving subsidises their contract. Brett Finch was being paid by Parramatta, maybe he still is.

How come the Storm are being so, one might say helpful to the Broncos, yet every other club is being given the cold shoulder when trying to negotiate with other players.

Maybe you dont understand the it Was Inglis who went to the club and Asked to talk to the Broncos on compassionate grounds so he can be near his fiancee. And the storm are not being soo helpfull because it it was reported that It was the storm who did not allow him to sign for the 400k because they did not want to pay the reported 260k extra he is on. So i dont know why ppl are getting all up in arms about it. Just be happy he staying in the game you fools.

AuDragon

Juniors

So you can't see the difference between your assumption and the "News Ltd has OFFERED to subsidise the remainder of his contract" statement? :sarcasm:

Besides, as explained previously, third party deals are reportedly going to cover the gap, not the Storm or News, but don't let the facts stand in the way of your rant... :roll:

Helpful? The Storm? To the Broncos? You have to be joking! :crazy:
But you could ask the Bulldogs... ;-)

Joker's Wild

Coach

Which media did you read this in? The Courier Mail? Owned by...?

Big Pete

Referee
isiah, want to lend all those Knights boys your collection of tin foil hats? They've gotten all paranoid on us.

badav

Bench
Am I the only one who thinks this stinks to high heaven, and News (with their new-found commitments to independence and integrity) should be running a mile from transferring one of Melbourne's stars.... to the other News Ltd bankrolled team...?

Nice of them to spread the talent around (to their other team)

You and plenty of other moron's.

So what if both clubs are owned by the same corporation. Its not the first time someone's gone from Melbourne to Brisbane or vice versa.

Its amazing how many idiots just lap up complete dross served to them in the form of a newspaper

Of course i can understand your frustration as Newcastle fan though. Having gone after every free agent on the market and snagging all of Neville Costigan and Antonio Kaufusi.

Last edited:

BDH

Juniors
This Inglis deal stinks!!!

The conflict of interest is evident for all to see.....Broncos need to stop being an awesome club with a great winning culture. How dare they be a very attractive option to star players!?

They should only offer the same culture of failure that surrounds Cronulla, Newcastle, Parramatta, Raiders and Souths.

I'm sick of these superior teams coming into the NSWRL...I mean the NRL, and offering a better culture, with better playing conditions and a more professional club, to these star players.

Want to really solve all the NRLs problems?? Lower every club to the lowest common denominator....oh wait, the ARL has been trying that since 1997.

_Johnsy

Referee
Its amazing how many idiots just lap up complete dross served to them in the form of a newspaper.

You do live in QLD and/or Brisbane don't you badav ?

I am sure you see this exact same gripe you have constantly.

They should only offer the same culture of failure that surrounds Cronulla, Newcastle, Parramatta, Raiders and Souths..

I take it you have no idea of culture in rugby league, or is this a new phenonenom that began when the NRL was formed ? Speak to any person who followed the BRL for years and ask them what they think of the culture of Brisbane Broncos and the impact it had on the Brissy comp. It is a two way street, open your eyes or do a little reading and look at the culture of rugby league with objective eyes.

I'm sick of these superior teams coming into the NSWRL...I mean the NRL, and offering a better culture, with better playing conditions and a more professional club, to these star players.

Want to really solve all the NRLs problems?? Lower every club to the lowest common denominator....oh wait, the ARL has been trying that since 1997.

Well I take your memory is fading or just not working. Remember when Brisbane Broncos chairman Barry Maranta got together with Rupert. The result was Super League, and it was borne out of Red Hill. We all know how that went don't we.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Well I take your memory is fading or just not working. Remember when Brisbane Broncos chairman Barry Maranta got together with Rupert. The result was Super League, and it was borne out of Red Hill. We all know how that went don't we.

The Crushers certainly knew how it went.