What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it racist to cheer against the Indigenous team?

bluey

Bench
Of course it's racist to cheer against the Indigenous team! As are the following things:

* Waving the Australian flag
* Celebrating Invasion Day (or 'Australia Day', as it's called by flag cape wearing, VB drinking, Southern Cross tattooed racists who have no appreciation for the true owners of this land).
* Being proud of being Australian
* Being white and not feeling a deep sense of self-loathing for being so.

Being a supporter of the Indigenous All-Stars and berating the opposition as a "Pack of white merkins!" is, however, perfectly fine...

* Here fishy fishy fishy *

:lol::lol::lol:

Chip Bayless

Juniors
In my opinion no as personally, I don't view people as black or white.

That said, I don't really support any team in this game as I just don't see it that way. I watch it as a rugby league trial and an event that is celebrating all that is good about rugby league. Truth be known, I've quietly rooted for the Indigenous team to get the win.

If you cheer against the Indigenous side, that is ok. It's not racist.

Scarves

Juniors
This game is basically all about celebration and the opportunity for a genuine platform where the game can experiment. For non the non Indigenous amongst us, it's a chance to sit and enjoy an attacking kickoff to the season. There's no real need to cheer for one team over the other over the other, obviously if you're Aboriginal or from the Torres Strait you'd go for the Indigenous boys, but otherwise just be there to enjoy great Rugby League, or go for the All Stars who represent basically no one.

If you're non indigenous, and feel the need to cheer for someone, but aren't sure or aren't "comfortable" who to cheer for, put your/ a little cash on either one or the other and cheer your cash home.

LESStar58

Referee
I don't cheer anyone in the All Star game. However, the IAS played a better, more exciting game of football in the first year before having the tables turned on them last year. I just admire both teams and the way they play footy.

WAPAU

Juniors
I dont like this game, I would rather the Indigenous team played against NZ or PNG or one of the pacific teams.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Said it before, but id like to see a Maori side play an NRL all stars team. A NRL All stars team including Indigenous players.

Then an Anglo All Stars team thrown into the mix...

Eels Dude

Coach
Edit your post Antichrist. Otherwise some stupid Storm nuffy will see it and quote you for it you forever making it look like you're saying it too.

Ulysseus

Bench
Is it racist to burn a flag, representative of a governmental system, when that system doles you out a cetrelink cheque to waste on a regular basis.

Remember though, theres a difference between real aboriginals and the brain dead petrol sniffing boongs that desecrated the flag.

eozsmiles

Bench
This game is good and bad at the same time. More good than bad though. The spirit of the game is one of inclusion, reconciliation, unity. A great celebration of footy and those who love it. But to put the game on we pick a team based strictly on racial lines. So it isn't surprising to get the question that started this thread.
The game itself is awesome, first game of the year and no pressure on the players so it should be exciting. But the theme is a bit of a mixed message. Almost opens up the opportunity for people to focus negatively on the racial element as much as the positives.
Eventually this game will become a true all star game similar to the ones held in the NBA etc. The best players regardless of race and religion.

Until then cheer for whoever you like, just don't be racist about it. Same as every game.

Latest posts