What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a NRL commercial this year?

Yeah the effort put into the production is awesome.

The interplay of footage, the cards, the freeze frames. I think they have blended the eras together brilliantly. Wish it was longer!

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Congratulations NRL, that is one f**king awesome ad. :clap:

And also to MJW advertising. A couple of my mates worked on the ad and they put the concept together three years ago and have been working their ring off since to get it to such a level. Digging up a lot of the old footage was a labour of love.
Just thought I'd give the agency a plug as they got this one right.:)

MSIH

Bench
Lack of Manly. They could've atleast had Scott Fulton sending Bob through a gap.

petetheileet

First Grade
MSIH said:
Lack of Manly. They could've atleast had Scott Fulton sending Bob through a gap.

Yeah......what were they thinking??? :sarcasm:

No seriously awesome ad! great to see for a change!!!

macavity

Referee
MC DUI said:
Agree with this! :D

Definitely a great ad, makes me even more excited for the coming season!

must admit, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I see Albert go over in the 97 GF. best RL moment ever.

Babyface O'reilly said:
And also to MJW advertising. A couple of my mates worked on the ad and they put the concept together three years ago and have been working their ring off since to get it to such a level. Digging up a lot of the old footage was a labour of love.
Just thought I'd give the agency a plug as they got this one right.:)

Well you can tell your mates at MJW from an old prick that they got the hair to stand up on the back of my neck and near brought a tear to my eye.

Fantastic job, the right mix between the old and the new, an in-build "name that player" game and the scenes where Gaz ran with Puff etc were phenomenal.

I for one greatly appreciate the work they did.

Loved it.

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23332869-23214,00.html

Legends of sepia now living colour
By Stuart Honeysett
March 07, 2008 THE National Rugby League has rewritten history in a bid to promote the code's 100th season.

The NRL unveiled its advertising campaign for the 100th season of rugby league and neither Tina Turner nor the Hoodoo Gurus were anywhere in sight.

Gone, too, were the catchy tunes and slick catchphrases which have characterised previous promotions.

The NRL has instead employed the latest in computer technology to splice modern-day players into classic footage from the past to help promote its centenary year.

"We've condensed 100 years of history into 60 seconds," NRL marketing director Paul Kind said.

"There's no doubt it celebrates the great players, but equally it celebrates the players of today and that was something it had to achieve."

Older league fans may fall off their seats when discovering Rabbitohs great John Sattler has been cut out of history, replaced instead by Souths glamour boy Craig Wing, who passes to 1960s star Ron Coote.

Elsewhere Dragons captain Mark Gasnier passes the ball to his uncle and one of the game's seven Immortals, Reg Gasnier, and Test skipper Darren Lockyer joins the backline alongside Clive Churchill.

In another take, Cronulla's Andrew Ettingshausen looms in support for Sharks great Steve Rogers.

The advertisement finishes with legends Norm Provan and Arthur Summons recreating their famous mud-covered gladiators image from the 1963 grand final only to be joined by Melbourne Storm pair Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis.

The advertisement has been in production for the past 12 months and was put together by the same agency, MJW, that was responsible for the successful Simply the Best campaign.

Attempts since then have mainly managed to stir up controversy, especially the Tom Jones-inspired What a Game and Tom Keneally's lamentable Blow that Whistle Ref.

The code abandoned the Hoodoo Gurus-inspired That's My Team campaign which has run since 2003.

Despite calls for a return to the Simply the Best campaign that was so successful in the 1980s, Kind said the NRL needed to appeal to all fans.

"Anything we took from the past would have anchored it in that era," Kind said.

I actually liked Blow That Whistle Ref.

Danish

Referee
Severe lack of 2002 GF in the ad. A bit sh*thouse considering every other GF of this decade got a run.

Other than that though, the ad is unbelievably good. Mark Gasnier completing a run around with Reg is the highlight for me.

The Tank

Bench
Danish said:
Severe lack of 2002 GF in the ad. A bit sh*thouse considering every other GF of this decade got a run.

Other than that though, the ad is unbelievably good. Mark Gasnier completing a run around with Reg is the highlight for me.

It did get a run I think. If you look at the end you can see Fittler celebrating.

Danish

Referee
Yeah, in the backround of one of the other teams holding up the trophy.....

and only if you have a widescreen tele :lol:

Can't really complain though. The roosters never get much of a run in the pre-season advertising, and for once I really couldn't give a sh*t for how brilliant the rest of the commercial is (that, and we feature heavily in the for 50 years of footage :))

The Tank

Bench
Danish said:
Yeah, in the backround of one of the other teams holding up the trophy.....

and only if you have a widescreen tele :lol:

Can't really complain though. The roosters never get much of a run in the pre-season advertising, and for once I really couldn't give a sh*t for how brilliant the rest of the commercial is (that, and we feature heavily in the for 50 years of footage :))

:?

I don't have a widescreen TV and I saw it.

Plus, I saw the Roosters' Toddy Byrne being tackled by Satts - a truely great moment wouldn't you agree? ;-)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
F*ckin get over your own team being supposedly robbed. :roll: It's a sensational advertisement and aims to cover the GREAT GF moments of the last 20-odd years as it builds to it's climax. As well as the Roosters played in 2002 it was hardly a magnificent game.