What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
agree, but hard to argue with the frog samy.. Unless we move mountains over the off season we are some time away from being title contenders. This from an optimist ..lol...

Exactly true we need to blood our juniors and build a team from there.
With a good coach and recruitment we will be very competitive in about 3 or 4 years.
We have to be patient.

silverex

Bench
This is the bit that's worrying.....

“Obviously there’s got to be an opportunity come up or a vacancy and to my knowledge at this point there isn’t any.

From the same link as above.

MilanDragon

Juniors

“Obviously there’s got to be an opportunity come up or a vacancy and to my knowledge at this point there isn’t any.

Yep, I know where you are coming from but every club is conducting a 'review' so no one has been sacked yet. Even if he had been contacted he wouldn't reveal by who until there is a media announcement made of a sacking.

For me the key was what he didn't say.. And that was that no one has contacted him. Or when asked about the dragons he didn't say he hasn't been in contact.

hazzbeen

Bench
I agree Sammy
Exactly true we need to blood our juniors and build a team from there.
With a good coach and recruitment we will be very competitive in about 3 or 4 years.
We have to be patient.
I agree Samy it will take time to rebuild but what Im afraid of is, if the right decisions do not happen now and we do not see that we are heading in the right direction this great club could disappear . Cant afford another 6 years wasted as we have and have to start all over again . So the next few years are vital for ST George Illawarra to survive ......

since77

Juniors

As if he's going to say anything except stock standard answers. People are trying to read way too much into what is and isn't said.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Is it just a rumour or there is some truth behind it, I wouldn't be surprised if we have never had discussions with cleary.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Regarding Cleary's interview on Fox.
It's really all he could say, he can't openly admit he's signed with us OR with anyone else for that matter as clubs (Dragons and Warriors and even Tigers) are still competing in finals footy.
Once a club completes it's campaign, be in 1st's, NSW Cup or U20's and probably completes it's "awards" night etc that's when the rhetoric will ramp up.
The one thing he didn't say was he wasn't considering a head coaching role.

Further: Regarding Cleary's son Nathan
Cleary Snr has stated he want's to coach against his boy, you can take that as Nathan will stay at the Panther's even if Ivan get's a senior role. However, as also noted Cleary does have another son who apparently has similar skill set to Nathan (younger of course). Maybe this is where we should be looking if we do/have signed Cleary.

Red V for life

Juniors
It's really all he could say, he can't openly admit he's signed with us OR with anyone else for that matter as clubs (Dragons and Warriors and even Tigers) are still competing in finals footy.
Once a club completes it's campaign, be in 1st's, NSW Cup or U20's and probably completes it's "awards" night etc that's when the rhetoric will ramp up.

Cleary Snr has stated he want's to coach against his boy, you can take that as Nathan will stay at the Panther's even if Ivan get's a senior role. However, as also noted Cleary does have another son who apparently has similar skill set to Nathan (younger of course). Maybe this is where we should be looking if we do/have signed Cleary.
I was coached by my old man from 16s. He was a good footy player in his day and a more than effective coach who took us from getting flogged every week to going through undefeated and winning comps but it sucked. It really sucked.

I know...we are talking about professional NRL players and coaches here, but I can't for the life of me think why an NRL player would want to be coached by Dad.

St Georgio

Juniors

I dont understand why it would affect the lower grade players or coaching staff, if lets say they officially annouce the appointment of Ivan Clearly this Fridays presser, Its nice to see the lower grades do well but at the end of day we all just want to see our NRL team to do well and win premierships!

MilanDragon

Juniors
I dont understand why it would affect the lower grade players or coaching staff, if lets say they officially annouce the appointment of Ivan Clearly this Fridays presser, Its nice to see the lower grades do well but at the end of day we all just want to see our NRL team to do well and win premierships!

It easily affects the lower grades. They aren't doing a review of one Coach they do a whole club review. That includes the 20's and Cutters, along with the coaches there.

Does JD need more speculation at this point on his coaching future or half his team whether they will be cleared out? Let them play for now and sort it out at end of their seasons too.

Sigurd

Juniors
It makes sense that the club wait until the season is over (for all grades and awards have been presented and etc) but I'm just worried Doust is playing games again (remember when the f**king incompetent prick carried out a review of supercoach Price, leaked the news he was staying, denied the leak and then confirmed he staying a week later?) and is hoping for dissatisfaction to recede before confirming supercoach McGregor for next year.

RedVDragon

Juniors
One question they didn't ask Ivan, did you enjoy watching the dragons from the sidelines as he was spotted in the crowd.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I agree Sammy

I agree Samy it will take time to rebuild but what Im afraid of is, if the right decisions do not happen now and we do not see that we are heading in the right direction this great club could disappear . Cant afford another 6 years wasted as we have and have to start all over again . So the next few years are vital for ST George Illawarra to survive ......

Exactly mate i understad what your saying

Hawkins

Juniors
The panthers season is basically over after they knock out the dogs this weekend but Cleary has been a bright spark and you guys would be lucky to have him.

Sigurd

Juniors
The panthers season is basically over after they knock out the dogs this weekend but Cleary has been a bright spark and you guys would be lucky to have him.

Won't the winner of the Panthers-Bullgrubs game play the loser of the Canberra-Shonkies game? I would back Penrith to beat the Shonkies.

Latest posts