What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Soward going to panthers

gypsy

Bench
Looked stale from mid last year. I'm disappointed to see the 2009-11 Soward leave, for mine he looked to lack motivation of late. Still, thanks for the memories. Let's hope ol' Sao legs Stanley can string 2 games together for a change.

Surely there's some sort of 'master plan' in operation here. Must be some sort of major target for us for 2014?

You'd f**king hope so Hutty. I wouldn't be banking on it though. Carney's the only player who's any good on the market so we'd basically better have him signed to some sort of cast iron pre-contract. We'll be relying heavily on the culture to keep him and Rangi in check. (Still think Dugan's off to Brisbane)

Good luck Sowie. Legend of St George for 2010. Loved having you here, hope you're screwing the Panthers for a fortune. Don't run dead in 2013.

Minh

First Grade
Will be sorely missed, I'm gutted but happy for Soward he was Dragons through and through, big mistake from the club.

ghostface

Juniors
Looked stale from mid last year. I'm disappointed to see the 2009-11 Soward leave, for mine he looked to lack motivation of late. Still, thanks for the memories. Let's hope ol' Sao legs Stanley can string 2 games together for a change.

A fit Kyle Stanley is as good as a new signing.

Cagey Mac

Bench
There must be some planning by the club,especially now that Price is likely to be retained and a plan must surely be in place.
A special mention should be made to Browney who signed Soward who at the time was a fringe first grader who became a matchwinner for us many a time.I for one was annoyed at the signing ,but credit to him embraced the club and became an Origin and premiership player with us.

Getting a little ahead of yourself there mate
Three wins on the trot does not a season make
Didn't realise Sowie was a fringe player
Must be the headgear

saint.nick

Coach
An injury free carney would be great, provided that the club culture embeds into him. If you ignore asada, he'd would be the reason why the sharks have a chance this year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Calm down willy...deep breaths
lol. Is that for me? If so, I'm touched that I was utmost in your mind.

But sorry to disappoint you mate, this has been on the radar for months. It was just a matter of where he was going.

On the upside, he certainly left your mob with a going away present.

13-12

chris_el

Juniors
Official Statement from Dragons:
St George Illawarra Dragons five-eight Jamie Soward has today formally advised the Club of his decision to take up a four-year contract at the Penrith Panthers from next season.
“This was definitely a big decision for me as I love the Dragons but as I have always said, I needed to make a decision about what was in the best interests for me and my future.
“I am absolutely committed to the Dragons, my Coach and team-mates for the remainder of this season and and will enjoy every minute of the rest of the year”.
Dragons CEO Peter Doust accepted Soward’s decision and acknowledged his commitment to our Club.
“Jamie is a special player and person who has always contributed positively to our Club,” said Doust. “We respect and understand his decision and know that he is totally committed to our Club for the remainder of this season”.

“As has been speculated for some time, we are in a strong position regarding recruitment but we have never been interested in speculating. When we have a number of matters finalised we will communicate appropriately,” added Doust.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Sowards-Future/72705

TheRev

Coach
myself and a few others have posted numerous times about a rift between Price and Soward going way back to when Price was still running the water bottle.
there was another incident early last season, and then the whole "back injury" saga last season...
i am guessing Pricey wasnt too interested in keeping Soward. And a 4 year deal at the dragons was never going to happen...
Pressure really on Price now to announce a major signing or two quick smart... as someone mentioned our rumoured signings drag on and on with zero outcomes... whereas other clubs seem to act quickly and professionally and sign up players with little fuss...

Yep pretty much one of them had to go, it will definitely take the stress off him for the rest of the season, I just hope he can go along with whatever gameplan the boys are happy with.

Honestly sometimes a fresh start is a good thing, the 2010 jersey is on my wall, but its time to move on to our next generation of hungry talent.

Getting a little ahead of yourself there mate
Three wins on the trot does not a season make
Didn't realise Sowie was a fringe player
Must be the headgear
have to agree re;the headgear reaks of fear in my book did anyone else notice both dane neilson and sam williams both ditched their head gear last week!

A fit Kyle Stanley is as good as a new signing.

That's a massive call ghost face. Admire your optimism, but I don't see how a bloke who won't have played for eighteen months, at a formative stage of his career, on the back of two knee reconstructions and has been in the halves in first grade twice (including once for five minutes) could possibly be the upside to losing an SOO calibre and premiership winning five eighth.

They're going to need to pull more out of the stocking than Kyle Stanley for me to be happy about it.

possm

Coach
I will save my congratulations and best wishes for the end of the season. Now it's time to prove a point Sowy - kill em every game from now on; the pressure is off.

My son is devistated he loves Sowy.

gypsy

Bench
So with our 6 and 7 leaving, does Drinkwater start next week?
It won't happen, but I'm of the belief that signing elsewhere should equal a week or two in reggies

Last edited:

ghostface

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how Drinkwater carries on from here. With soward leaving he will get first shot at a halves spot for 2014.
Apparently he doesn't really apply himself at training this might be the catalyst required for him to find the motivation needed to improve his game.

God-King Dean

Immortal
have to agree re;the headgear reaks of fear in my book did anyone else notice both dane neilson and sam williams both ditched their head gear last week!

Steve-Menzies-5963025.jpg

Latest posts