What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

juanfarkall

Coach
Not sure what the big deal is after wives and girlfriends have been known as WAGS for a while .

It would appear though that Monaghan has taken it to a whole new level by having Wags as his wife/girlfriend.

Ulysseus

Bench
Well, this has certainly been an interesting year media wise for the NRL.
Just when you think it can't get any worse, something like this happens to reset expectations on what constitutes someone saying "it can't get any worse".

Bravo Joel, bravo.
Just when we thought things could not get any more f**ked up, that the highest level of stupidity had been reached when Craig Gower went on his bucks party rampage in the process doing enough stupid sh*t to constitute a script for a movie, Joel gets a dog to tend to his equipment and assures us that at least in the "most f**ked up sh*t" category of league, we are not without innovators.

Whats next?
Someone busted f**king a corpse in a morgue?

Parra

Referee
i_dont_like_peanut_butter_dog_shirt-p15584236970232156522hfo_400.jpg

Makes it acceptable hey ea? Good old boys did it, so no worries

Was Phil Kearns crucified?

Different eras, different levels of scrutiny but at the end of the day it's no different to what Kearns did. In fact, based on the report I read, Kearns' was probably worse.

I'd accept Monaghan being sacked, but if we're fair dinkum, the bloke who took the photo, presumably on his own mobile, and the bloke who passed the photo on have to go as well.

If we're going to stitch players up for a prank gone wrong, we may as well pack it in and all go follow Rugby Union.

Oh wait....

Brutus

Referee
Well that's because every single NRL player is a drunken rapist dog fancier waiting to happen according to our media.

Not that I am in any way in favour of this behaviour, it doesn't seem to be a massive gigantic story, which is kind of a good thing. I mean, it's on the news, but it's not some huge huge thing. Or am I listening to the wrong news?

I agree, it's not as big as what it could be, but I guess it's out there.

As a RL fan, I'm primarily concenced with the game's image and the best thing the NRL can do is punt him today and be done with it.

Did this happen at a Man Monday pissup? Surely it wasn't a teammate that sent the picture around....then again, footballers are pretty f**king dumb...

Yep, they are. From all codes/eras.

I'm not sure what else can be done to make these blokes understand the levels of scrutiny they are under.

Brutus

Referee
The recollection had reminded him of the time he was part of an Australian squad preparing for the 1999 World Cup final against France. "We had one of those video conferencing systems where players could talk to and see their wives and kids back in Australia. Any way, in the week before the final, Phil Kearns, who had been injured and had returned home, was using one to send us a good-luck message.
"He was talking to the guys and when he walked into shot it was obvious that he had no shirt on. I thought he just had no top on but his wife, who was holding the video camera, panned down to reveal that Phil was stark naked. Better than that, his dog - he had a big Alsatian - then walked over, nudged him in the nuts and started licking. I've never seen anything like it.
"We found out afterwards that Phil had rubbed jam or honey into his groin to get his dog to do that on cue. It was his way of settling down the squad who were really tense and worried at the final coming up."
There's nowhere to go after that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/co...00013/Mr-Big-is-really-Munsters-nice-guy.html

For those who missed it.

Wow. I guess this really didn't hurt Phil's career. There was no video/photo doing the rounds I suppose.

The media usually likes to bring up similar past atrocities, so maybe Phil's experienced can get a run.

Obviously his lovely wife approved.

Moffo

Referee
Why hang the photo taker and the distributor? Because they didn't adhere to the code of silence/old school boys rules club? They wern't the ones getting their Wang sucked by a f**king dog for the sake of bessie

Shorty

Staff member
Urgh, I couldn't believe it when someone told me this.
I have been avoiding everything RL for the last few months because of exams and just because I was sick of the negative stories.

People do some silly things when drunk but honestly this is insane.
Whoever spread the pic is a real hero, too.
Clearly (I'm hoping) this was a dumb prank but there's nothing to defend that pic and Joel and his family's lives are pretty much ruined.

Brutus

Referee
Why hang the photo taker and the distributor? Because they didn't adhere to the code of silence/old school boys rules club? They wern't the ones getting their Wang sucked by a f**king dog for the sake of bessie

It's a new age we live in. The sooner some of these guys get some sort of an idea regarding the consequences of pressing the dreaded send button, the better.

No send button, no incident.

Give it a rest you f**king old moll.

The bloke did something that has been done probably hundred of times before, without the "perpitrator" being hung, drawn and quartered.

One of them is a Rugby Union legend.

If we are going to sack Monaghan for it then the blokes who did the real damage, the photographer and the bloke who passed the photo on (could be one and the same) should be punted as well.

And congratulations on being able to work out from a still photo that it was a Dog giving a blowie. Let me guess, your younger days on the mean streets of Fairfield make you an expert on Canine fellatio?

*bark* *bark*

Do I make you horny baby?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I can see both sides fo the argument with this one...yes he may have intended it to be a spur of the moment prank but he was obviously not thinking about the morality of his actions or he fact that he is a public figure etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Raiders respond to this as a soft stance could cripple the club..

A hard stance didn't exactly help Cronulla.

gong_eagle

First Grade
on triple m just then the pic was posted on twitter by a team mate and then removed not long after but it was too late and it was reposted by someone else and then went viral, apparently the person who did it is an Australian rep player, he should come forward too imo

Frailty

First Grade
on triple m just then the pic was posted on twitter by a team mate and then removed not long after but it was too late and it was reposted by someone else and then went viral, apparently the person who did it is an Australian rep player, he should come forward too imo

Why?