What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey considering Origin come back

Stranger

Coach
Cowgirl86 said:
I was thinking more Mini and Gasnier..
Johns being in the team will stop then shining thats for sure :roll:

Why would it annoy us? he isnt holding back tallented QLD players from Origin footy. He can have as many "retirements" as he likes for all we care. It just turns into a kind of "boy who cried wolf" story after a while which will only result in his FINAL retirement not being as special for him because everyone will be expecting him to return again.

Pick the best team thats available. He is the best so if hes available he isn't holding back any talented NSW players. You don't pick a SOO team in preparation for the years later you pick a SOO team on the basis of the next game.

lotti

Bench
Joey the Blues gave you a fairy tale send off just leave it at that and for the Knights to possibly do the same.

mattyg

Bench
Stranger said:
Johns being in the team will stop then shining thats for sure :roll:

Pick the best team thats available. He is the best so if hes available he isn't holding back any talented NSW players. You don't pick a SOO team in preparation for the years later you pick a SOO team on the basis of the next game.

obviously Joey realises that Locky has achieved more at a higher level than himself, therefore he wants to come back and try to get his name back. Joey is not the guy who would like people thinking there is someone out there that is better than him.

Only you can't admit that Stranger ;-)

Shorty

Staff member
You fail to get the point...I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

McCrud

Juniors
I'd love Johns to come back.

Darren Lockyer vs Andrew Johns

Is this going to be a 'winner take all' battle?

lotti

Bench
what do what Freddie did, Freddie only did that because the blues were plagued with injuries.

Eelementary

Post Whore
NOOOOOOOOOO! :shock:

He'll steal Finchy's spot! :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness - if that's accurate, it's brilliant news for NSW.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
ANDREW Johns is privately considering making himself available for a shock comeback to State of Origin this year.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Johns is telling friends of a burning desire to return and represent NSW again in what could be his final season in Australia.
Johns was not commenting yesterday but sources indicate he desperately missed playing Origin last year and wants to help NSW avenge the 2006 series loss to Queensland.
But there are some obstacles to leap before a possible Johns comeback - his individual form and that of the Knights.
If Johns' form is strong over the first six weeks of the premiership and Newcastle are winning, then he is a real chance to return.
If his form is down, his body is struggling and the Knights are battling, he would remain in representative retirement.
Johns' Knights contract states he cannot play representative football but, given his standing in Newcastle, he would have little trouble gaining an exemption.
Rated by some as the greatest player of all time, Johns retired from representative football after the 2005 Origin series.
He received an exemption last year to represent Australia in the April Test against New Zealand.
This year will almost certainly be Johns' last in the NRL - although he is contracted until the end of 2008 - before he heads to England for a probable stint with Warrington.
"I think if a player like Andrew is still capable of playing State of Origin, then it would enter his head that he has pulled the pin too early," brother Matthew said.
But Matthew warned: "Andrew could be feeling tired through the middle stages of the season and it will depend whether he has the energy mentally and physically."
One source close to Johns told The Daily Telegraph: "Origin has certainly entered Joey's mind."
NSW coach Graham Murray added: "If Joey does make himself available, I'm sure the selectors would take a real close look at him."
ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said Johns was officially retired from rep football.
"He has retired from rep football and we respect his decision," Carr said.
"We're not in a position to comment (on a comeback) because he has in fact retired."
Knights football manager Steve Crowe confirmed the clause in Johns' contract forbidding him to play rep football.
"We won't consider that (relaxing the clause) until it becomes an issue or an official request," Crowe said.
"It wouldn't be something we would discuss in January, only if and when it becomesan issue."
There are no suggestions that Johns wants to return and play for Australia in the Anzac Test against New Zealand in April.
Johns' manager John Fordham said his client had not committed to Origin this year.
"There's no player more passionate about Origin than Andrew Johns," Fordham said.
"He really missed playing Origin last year and when he was approached to cover injuries on the eve of Origin I he thought about it long and hard before declining the invitation.
"You would, however, have to say the likelihood of him making an Origin comeback in 2007 are extremely remote, especially as he has been formally granted an exemption from representative football as well as having a clause in his Knights contract ruling him out of playing Origin from 2006 onwards."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21148742-5006066,00.html

Kiwi

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
Yet qld can name nsw'elshmen (based on soo rules) kiwi's, TBA and PNG players, love the qld mentality when it comes to soo.

So can NSW, infact I think it's a safe bet NZ born Willie Mason will be in a sky blue jumper this year. Oh but thats ok and not worth mentioning because he's a blues player :roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
Knightmare said:
Right, but it was alright for Allan Langer to come back for Qld? Let joey make a comeback if he wants, he's that good he could still do the trick. And the Knights have Mullen to fill in for him while he's gone. :D

The QRL will knock it on the head.
From 2006 onwards it was declared that any player that "retires" from rep football cannot then come out of "retirement" and pick and choose what games he plays.
This came about after BK and Johns last yr played one last hurrah for Australia @ Lang Park.

Parraren

Bench
I can already see the plot unfolding.....tied series 1-1, game 3 glory on the line....enter the barge arse.

jack daniels

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
i reckon the club owes him more than he owes them. He could have walked on a number of occassions for much more money, but he has stayed a loyal one club man. thats pretty rare these days.

No, he owes them, all nrl players are way overpaid

Azkatro

First Grade
I love the attitude of Knights supporters here, such state pride. "f**k NSW, Newcastle is more important!"

Having said that you can hardly blame them, given that Johns has led the Knights to a wooden spoon and a scratchy season topped off with a semi-final embarassment in the last two years.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I can probably see this happening since we're struggling with 5/8's. There are enough halfbacks eyeing on that number 7 spot, Orford, Gower, Mullen. But if they picked Johns at halfback, at least they'll go with either Mullen, Hornby, Gower, even Finch at 5/8. As long as Gasnier doesnt play there. :x