What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey swears officials got it all wrong -SMH

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
The amusing thing is that the Telegraph ran an article yesterday in which the touchie claimed that it was Carney that made the comment. What is going on here?

I reiterate my previous (ignored) comments. All this talk about role modelship, mitigating circumstances, and what-not really is fairly irrelevant. Joey broke the rules that he agreed to when he signed up for the NRL (well, ostensibly). He should suffer whatever penalty the NRL itself stipulates in its rule book is appropriate for his behaviour. Saying that his penalty should be greater because he is a more prominent player (essentially what is being argued when his status as the game's premier player is brought up) is just as silly as saying it should be less because of his status. If the NRL's rules are to function as rules, it is necessary that they apply equally to everyone who operates under them.

The comments from both sides of the debate thus far have appalled me. Those who are trying to justify Joey's comments as 'passionate' - where do you draw the line in regards to what passion makes acceptable? Those who are trying to argue for his suspension based on his lack of self control - since when did being a bad loser bar one from being able to play the game? There are arguments both for and against Joey being harshly dealt with (for example, the fact that he broke the rules), but they've been lost in this kind of biased drivel.

mrford61

Juniors
ShadesOfTheSun said:
The amusing thing is that the Telegraph ran an article yesterday in which the touchie claimed that it was Carney that made the comment. What is going on here?

I reiterate my previous (ignored) comments. All this talk about role modelship, mitigating circumstances, and what-not really is fairly irrelevant. Joey broke the rules that he agreed to when he signed up for the NRL (well, ostensibly). He should suffer whatever penalty the NRL itself stipulates in its rule book is appropriate for his behaviour. Saying that his penalty should be greater because he is a more prominent player (essentially what is being argued when his status as the game's premier player is brought up) is just as silly as saying it should be less because of his status. If the NRL's rules are to function as rules, it is necessary that they apply equally to everyone who operates under them.

The comments from both sides of the debate thus far have appalled me. Those who are trying to justify Joey's comments as 'passionate' - where do you draw the line in regards to what passion makes acceptable? Those who are trying to argue for his suspension based on his lack of self control - since when did being a bad loser bar one from being able to play the game? There are arguments both for and against Joey being harshly dealt with (for example, the fact that he broke the rules), but they've been lost in this kind of biased drivel.

:clap: good post shades. unfortunately it will be lost in the tripe in this thread.

Pando

Juniors
The way Johns throws his toys out of the cot when things don't go his way, makes me think he should finish up his career at Manly. He could be the next Toovey!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Why not just suspend him for the rest of the season and be done with it. I think about 12 weeks sounds about right :roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
2 weeks will be enough jobdog.
Grade one contrary conduct...125 points plus his 93 carry over points.

Even though...i will believe it when i see it.

Iafeta

Referee
Immortal said:
JOHN WON'T SAY SORRY

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20103665-23214,00.html

By Newcastle captain Andrew Johns
August 13, 2006 I WILL not be apologising to touch judge Matt Cecchin for what I said in the final minute of our loss to Manly on Friday night.

If anyone should be apologising, it is him.

Let me say here and now that what I said wasn't directed at him and the language I used was heat of the moment stuff.

People will criticise me for swearing even though we are all guilty of it and that's fine. I'll just have to wear that.

But emotion is something I can't turn on and off like a tap.

It was a huge game for both sides with so much at stake - and it was a crucial call at the death that went against us.

Every man and his dog at the game knew Steve Matai played at that ball.

Matt was two metres away from it.

We should have been given the scrum feed and we might have had time for another two or three shots at their line.

Okay, so it may not have been enough.

Manly was outstanding, particularly in defence, and I have nothing but admiration for the way that they turned up to play.

We still might not have won the game, but we shouldn't have been denied the opportunity, either.

People will argue I'm the captain and I should be setting an example. Well, as captain, I'm responsible for all my players and we were all blowing up.

It's an emotional sport.

People say it is just a game. Tell that to all the players who train their backsides off for three months before the season starts and put their bodies on the line, week after week through the season.

We are well paid but a lot of the fans don't get to see the sacrifices players make.

It's funny. Mid-season when I was in a bit of a slump mentally, I was being criticised for not showing enough emotion and for seeming uninterested. I was criticised for not yelling instructions and barking out orders and for not being my normal exuberant self.

Now I am under the pump for letting my emotions take over on Friday night. If the game's administration want to make an example of me, I guess there is not a lot I can do about it. They will probably argue that no matter what the circumstance, I should have controlled myself better.

All I can say to that is that I am not a robot.

I don't have iced water running through my veins - and if I am guilty of anything, it is that I wear my heart on my sleeve.

It wasn't frustration on Friday night.

It was a passionate captain who desperately wanted to win a crucial game of football.

And I'm not going to apologise for that.

That article is a dumb move on Johns' part. It will only serve to bait David Gallop further to ask the Match Review Committee to charge Johns with contrary conduct. Apologising in the article might have been a get out of gaol free card.

Especially on the back of Gallop's comments that suggest Michael Hagan will almost definitely be slapped with a fine for supporting it in the press conference.

Lego_Man

First Grade
The penalty was actually for Carney's comment, he was standing right next to Cecchin on the wing when the knock-on wasnt called. Johns must have chimed in after that.

Iafeta

Referee
Harragon just tried to choke down on Johns "He's a very competitive guy... blah blah blah", thank christ Sneaky Pete and Fatty got in and said no that talks not on.

Good call from the other bloke on there "Passion is not an excuse".

Iafeta

Referee
Harragon sounded beaten "we need to show empathy for Joey"...

Sneaky Pete showing a couple of occasions where Manly got dudded by crucial decisions, didn't see Joey blow up then.

Mr Saab

Referee
Finally TK showing a set.
Cant really stand the guy, but full credit to him for sticking it up Harragon

Alex28

Coach
I don't rate the blokes on The Sunday Roast (bar Andrew Voss), but finally we are seeing some common sense here. Get the decisions right, don't be a soft c**k and have a word to the players after the game. If the NRL want to pretend that the game is played by gentlemen who wouldn't dare say a rude word - switch the microphones off.

Cletus

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
The penalty was actually for Carney's comment, he was standing right next to Cecchin on the wing when the knock-on wasnt called. Johns must have chimed in after that.

I saw the replay of the game on NRL.com, and it looks like Johns says it to Cecchin as he's walking past him. It's after he's talked to the ref, if my lip reading is right. Johns jogs away from the ref, Cecchin runs towards the ref, Johns turns his head and appears to say "you're a f**king merkin mate" and keeps going.