What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns arrested and cautioned in London

Alex28

Coach
It just got worse....all his career. Can't say I'm shocked, but it is a little disappointing given I've been defending him all these years...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm more shocked that this is being broken as 'news'. Didn't everyone in Newcastle already know/assume that he was doing all of the things that come with being a celebrity?

perverse

Referee
well.. there it is.. he's just come out public with it. "i used drugs my whole career".

not that many of us didn't know it - and a lot of us knights fans (myself included) don't really care - it's his onfield persona that we fell in love with and respect... however this still reflects very poorly on our club...

this is by far the worst year in our history. dark days indeed.

Daren

Juniors
Just to let you know, there is a story on the daily telegraph web site now about Joey admitting his problems with drugs and alcohol over the past 12 years

EdLondon said:
What is more shocking than being caught with ecstasy is the fact that he went to 'The Church' in the first place. It is a Aussie/Kiwi/Saffa institution in London. It is basically every sunday through the day and is a dark sh*tty hall with sawdust on the floor. You even have to buy a ticket in exchange for grog ang keep it in a plastic bag because they don't have a full grog license. They play home country favourites all day and there are sculling comps and to top it all off a couple of strippers each week.
re read it 6 times..dont see a problem with that place at all

Risa

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22335913-29277,00.html

Johns admits to long-term drug use
By Dean Ritchie with AAP
August 30, 2007 08:31pm

IN A shock confession Andrew Johns has revealed he was in the grip of drugs and alcohol throughout his whole playing career.

"I took the drugs to escape from the pressure and get away from being a football player," he told The Daily Telegraph tonight.

The league legend also admitted that he is battling depression.

In an extraordinary about-face from his earlier assertion that he had no intention of taking an ecstasy pill, which he said an unknown person placed in his jeans pocket at a London club on Sunday, Johns came clean.

"I was going to take the pill for sure," he said.

"I'm not looking for sympathy, I put my hand up. I've done the wrong thing."

The retired Newcastle, New South Wales and Kangaroos star, regarded by many as rugby league's greatest player, was issued with an official caution by British police for possession of the ecstasy tablet.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said it was a distressing confession from Johns.

"It is an insight into the pressure he has been under for a number of years," he said.

"He should be given credit for his frankness."

Gallop also said he was "not aware of Johns ever failing a drug test throughout his career".

Johns, 33, was not charged over the London incident and won't have a conviction against his name, but NSW Premier Morris Iemma said if he'd been caught with the drug in NSW he could have been prosecuted.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) had been considering using Johns to help the Wallabies in their build-up to next month's Rugby World Cup in France, but today promptly dropped the idea.

Johns was arrested by London transport police conducting routine searches at Kings Cross underground railway station following the annual Notting Hill Carnival, a statement released this morning from Johns' management The Fordham Company said.

"Johns said he recalled an unknown person pushing a tablet into his jeans at a crowded club on Sunday – his last day in the United Kingdom following a six weeks overseas holiday."

In the statement Johns said: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home.

"I stupidly forgot about the tablet and instead of getting rid of it I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted."

Johns is regarded as a role model in the sport and he acknowledged his actions would disappoint many young fans.

"I have been a very foolish person and realise I have brought great disappointment to my family, friends and many people, including lots of youngsters who have looked up to me over the years," he said in the earlier statement.

"It has left a black mark on my reputation which I will work very hard at erasing."

Johns' manager John Fordham said news of the bust had been "devastating" for the former player.

"But he's working hard at getting control of all of that – they're difficult times," he told Nine Network.

Mr Fordham admitted Johns was lucky to have escaped with just a caution.

In Britain a formal caution does not mean a criminal conviction.

However it is recorded on the police database and may be considered in court if a person is tried for another offence, the UK Home Office says.

Johns, who was forced out of the game in April by a recurring neck injury, has been holidaying in Europe and the UK.

He had been in London for a few weeks, helping to coach the Harlequins Rugby League Club at the invitation of former Newcastle Knights player Billy Peden.

Johns recently spent time tutoring the Wallabies' kickers and coach John Connolly suggested the former halfback may work with the team again in France, once his NRL commentary commitments were completed.

But ARU boss John O'Neill said today there had been no firm deal with Johns.

He added: "Given the current circumstances, the Wallabies will continue as is in France."

STEVE R

Juniors
Geeesus. I really do feel sorry for the Knights. They don't need this at all.

Keep your heads up Knights fans. Things WILL get better. I've got a $20 on you for the win tomorrow night!!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Things will get better? I've given up on trotting out the "they can't get worse" line because they just keep on out doing me :|

Parki

Bench
people make mistakes

but how can you make a "mistake" for 12 years?

I am feeling very disillusioned and would like some answers Andrew, Knights... NRL... please? :?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Parki said:
people make mistakes

but how can you make a "mistake" for 12 years?

I am feeling very disillusioned and would like some answers Andrew, Knights... NRL... please? :?
I'll second that.

Risa

Bench
Will be interesting to hear what he says on the Footy Show now...

Wow, I was in shock when I read the article!

STEVE R

Juniors
Johns stated that his team mates, and probably the club, knew about this for years.

WHY WAS NOTHING DONE?

Andrew Johns is going to take some other people down with him....

Alex28

Coach
He's managed to drop the club in it now as well suggesting they knew what was happening...

We really are a bunch of amateurs...

Rusty

Juniors
I think deep down I knew this but I was always in denial. I can't believe how this has unfolded what a nightmare.

Doctor

Bench
I commend Andrew Johns for his courage. It took guts to admit he has a problem. It took tremendous guts to get on the Footy Show tonight and admit he hasn't lived up to expectation. We're all heard the rumours over the years, but for all the forum topics shutdown and defamation fears, it turns out that Andrew Johns now admits that he has struggled with recreational drugs. I'm not at all surprised.

What I am surprised about is that he's been forthcoming on the issue. To come clean is a big thing. The even bigger step is to make a change and live by it (which is very hard to do).

The next big question is to the NRL, the Knights and his teammates. Why is it that seven years of diagnosed depression, and years of drug taking, still did not act as a huge white flag for the bloke. Why didn't someone in the club just tell him to shape up and come clean? Implied in what he said tonight is that his teammates knew. I dare say the club knew. It's technically a cover-up by teammates and perhaps the club and/or the NRL, if it's found that they knew too.

Big questions have been asked of one A.Johns, and eventually he's come clean.
Now big questions will be asked of the Knights club and the NRL -- what are the answers?

roopy

Referee
STEVE R said:
Johns stated that his team mates, and probably the club, knew about this for years.

WHY WAS NOTHING DONE?

Andrew Johns is going to take some other people down with him....
**edit - ambiguous. Feel free to clarify and repost**
The worrying thing is that he described a serious mental illness and talked about being treated for it for the last 5 years.
In light of that his career has been even more remarkable, because the drugs he would have been taking for that certainly wouldn't make performing as an elite sportsman any easier, quite the opposite in fact.

Latest posts