What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns arrested and cautioned in London

roopy

Referee
borat said:
There are the ramifications of what has happended to Johns himself by turning a blind eye. Johns is 33 and a fathernow. Whose to say that if the club did something about this 10 years ago that Johns could be past this long ago. But of course then he would have lost out on playing time which is far more important then the rest of his life.

What about the remifications to the club if Johns had tested positive during his career. 2 yr ban, no halfback, loss of sponsors. If this had happened 4 years ago financially it could have crippled the Knights.

Yet Harrogan does nothing
again - his problem is a diagnosed mental illness - the drug taking is a symptom.
He was sent for treatment and supported by the club.

borat

Bench
roopy said:
the alternative to 'sweeping it under the carpet' is to make it public, which is basically to drop him in the sh*t and end his career and destroy his life.
Not going public is not 'doing nothing' - it is obvious they did far more than they would have for most people.
I'm a bit worried about what will happen to him now - but the club has done an outstanding job.

Thats BS Roopy. The club should have pulled him from playing and stood by him until he was over his addiction. Put him through rehab , done whatever it took to stand by a player who had given them plenty. If they had done that then maybe John's son wouldn't be reading the papers today seeing his Dad the drug addict.

What if in one of John's depressed states on drugs he had hurt himself? Seriously, there is far more to life than football.

borat

Bench
roopy said:
again - his problem is a diagnosed mental illness - the drug taking is a symptom.

And how do you think the past 2 days have done for his health?

The Colonel

Immortal
roopy said:

Is that 100% correct? The ramifications of repeated drug use include depression. Highly possible that the drugs are the problem and the depression a symptom.

perverse

Referee
yeah i have to disagree roops... had this been done around 95 (the alleged time it started) sure he would have missed out on some footy and had his image tarnished - but he would have had far more time in the game to rectify the wrongs. mitchell sargent is a good example of this now... as are many players who have been caught - exposed and reformed. he now has a family and his future as an immortal.. or even just as a true legend of the game is now in jeopardy (not in the minds of knights fans.. but the wider rugby league community).

hiding this from everyone for so long - no matter which way you look at it - was the wrong thing to do.

lying is simply never the right answer.

borat

Bench
The Colonel said:
Is that 100% correct? The ramifications of repeated drug use include depression. Highly possible that the drugs are the problem and the depression a symptom.

I think its one of those, what comes first the chicken or the egg.

roopy

Referee
borat said:
Thats BS Roopy. The club should have pulled him from playing and stood by him until he was over his addiction. Put him through rehab , done whatever it took to stand by a player who had given them plenty. If they had done that then maybe John's son wouldn't be reading the papers today seeing his Dad the drug addict.

What if in one of John's depressed states on drugs he had hurt himself? Seriously, there is far more to life than football.
Spoken like someone who has no idea about mental illness.
The best possible outcome is to maintain a person in their normal life.
Putting a person in 'rehab' is a last resort and basically admitting they are stuffed.

He hasn't got an addiction BTW. His pattern of infrequent drug use is very different to the pattern of an 'addict'.

The Colonel

Immortal
Given that he stated last night that he has been using the drugs for ten years and has only been treated for depression for the past five it is highly likely that it could be the case.

There really needs to be massive action on a club level anyone who was aware of Joey's problems needs to be punted. Disgraceful and I am ATM embarrassed to follow the club if they indeed were aware of his actions.

borat

Bench
roopy said:
Spoken like someone who has no idea about mental illness.
The best possible outcome is to maintain a person in their normal life.
Putting a person in 'rehab' is a last resort and basically admitting they are stuffed.

He hasn't got an addiction BTW. His pattern of infrequent drug use is very different to the pattern of an 'addict'.

Roopy I have seen mental illness first hand so I do know quite alot, maybe not as much as yourself. You are kidding yourself if you think you have all the answers just because you work in the field.

But one things I know for certain is that people who are frequent drug takers/addicts think they are in control and know whats best for themsleves.

Clearly someone who has a mental illness and is taking drugs is not a the sort of state where they should be playing high pressure 1st grade Rugby league. Johns said so himself that the pressure was a reason he took drugs.

I agree with what you said about Rehab BUT Johns was in a profession where he is drug tested and the remifications of a positive test is life destroying. How do you think Johns would have coped with a 2yr ban. Letting Johns to continue to play russian roulette is nothing short of unbeleivable.

The Colonel

Immortal
roopy said:
none of you have a clue - which is a shame.

You'd be surprised.

I question your responses too.

roopy said:

Are you 100% certain that it isn't a direct result of the drug use and his usage was only intermittent? How can you be so sure?

roopy

Referee
The Colonel said:
Given that he stated last night that he has been using the drugs for ten years and has only been treated for depression for the past five it is highly likely that it could be the case.
Where do i start?
Most people with a bipolar disorder - and he described a classic bipolar disorder last night - use drugs to 'self-medicate' long before they are diagnosed.

He has been diagnosed and placed on medication by a psychiatrist.

roopy

Referee
The Colonel said:
You'd be surprised.

I question your responses too.

Are you 100% certain that it isn't a direct result of the drug use and his usage was only intermittent?
yes.

roopy

Referee
borat said:
Roopy I have seen mental illness first hand so I do know quite alot, maybe not as much as yourself. You are kidding yourself if you think you have all the answers just because you work in the field.

But one things I know for certain is that people who are frequent drug takers/addicts think they are in control and know whats best for themsleves.

Clearly someone who has a mental illness and is taking drugs is not a the sort of state where they should be playing high pressure 1st grade Rugby league. Johns said so himself that the pressure was a reason he took drugs.

I agree with what you said about Rehab BUT Johns was in a profession where he is drug tested and the remifications of a positive test is life destroying. How do you think Johns would have coped with a 2yr ban. Letting Johns to continue to play russian roulette is nothing short of unbeleivable.
It is very clear he got treatment.
Johns described his drug use as 'mostly in the off season, but on a few occasions he played russian roulette during the season' and also said he took drugs after he had 'six or so beers'. That is not the pattern of a heavy drug user and the club would not have specific information of when he used - only rumours like everyone else.

roopy

Referee
The Colonel said:
So how do you know? Outside of being the bloke treating him.....
I listened to his interview.
I heard him describe a classic bipolar disorder.
I heard him describe infrequent drug use in situations where he was under pressure (classic self medication).
I heard him say he was diagnosed and treated for a mental illness - not a drug addiction.

After 30 years of working with the mentally ill i know the patterns.

Talking of drug use causing a bipolar disorder is silly.

perverse

Referee
roopy said:
I listened to his interview.
I heard him describe a classic bipolar disorder.
I heard him describe infrequent drug use in situations where he was under pressure (classic self medication).
I heard him say he was diagnosed and treated for a mental illness - not a drug addiction.

After 30 years of working with the mentally ill i know the patterns.

Talking of drug use causing a bipolar disorder is silly.
roopy i agree with you - i have been exposed to bi-polar twice in my life with people very dear and close to my heart... but that doesn't change the fact that hiding this is terrible for the clubs and the games image. it is definitely textbook bi-polar with self medication - i completely 100% agree with you, and even agree that the club has clearly tried to help him with it - but they haven't helped themselves or the game as a whole by keeping it behind closed doors... and the fact remains they the help they did give him wasn't effective - as it appears to have been an ongoing thing for the past 12 years.

icewind

Juniors
roopy said:
It is very clear he got treatment.
Johns described his drug use as 'mostly in the off season, but on a few occasions he played russian roulette during the season' and also said he took drugs after he had 'six or so beers'. That is not the pattern of a heavy drug user and the club would not have specific information of when he used - only rumours like everyone else.

Actually, he admitted to using drugs on a friday night, and they would be out of his system by monday.

Latest posts