What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and Hagan blow-up?

macavity

Referee
El Diablo said:
you seem to think he'll set Newcastle up to win plenty

put it this way

im more confident about the future now than I was with Hages as head coach.

wonder how we would have gone this year if he was still here..

im glad Parra love hages. he is a nice bloke.

similarly im glad we have Smithy.

seems like we all got what we wanted, huh.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
macavity said:
put it this way

im more confident about the future now than I was with Hages as head coach.

wonder how we would have gone this year if he was still here..

im glad Parra love hages. he is a nice bloke.

similarly im glad we have Smithy.

seems like we all got what we wanted, huh.
hagan coached you guys to a premiership and this year has done a good job with parra. smith will build a good club for newcastle but will then leave it to someone else to finish off his job, i liked smith as a coach he was very smart but come semi final time he seemed to get to the players heads and change the way they trained and played just because it was semi finals for some reason.

i wish smith all the best, he was a different coach and one that many didn't like, im happy now we have hagan its a good challenge for him and so far he is doing a good job.

from the start of the year i said if parra dont win the comp, i want newcastle to win it because brian smith deserves a premiership and i stand by my word

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Hagan Left Newcastle in a better position the Smith did Parra football wise not structure wise.

You also seem to forget that Both Parra and Saints are relatively rich clubs where as Newcastle has had financial problems. Also Newcastle did throw all there eggs into one basket with Johns to stop him from going to rah rah thats why they lost all those other players.

Half the problem was Newcastles Managements and financial security.

JJ

Immortal
El Diablo said:
they were there in round 22 in Brisbane, weren't they?

Yes - but there was a reason that they played all those origins and tests, and the likes of Tony Priddle, Noel Goldthorpe, Ricky Walford, Ian Herron and so on didn't...

Stranger

Coach
El Diablo said:
what is it they show then?
They do show a teams ability.

I would say JT has done a good job at souths this year and Smith a good job at newcastle. Does their position on the table reflect such?
At the same time did 04 reflect Folksie or the talent they had in the team?

To use a stat like a grandfinal to prove that a coach is good is the same as using a stat like a grandfinal to prove a player is good IMO.

Stranger

Coach
parramaniac2516 said:
Hagan Left Newcastle in a better position the Smith did Parra football wise not structure wise.

You also seem to forget that Both Parra and Saints are relatively rich clubs where as Newcastle has had financial problems. Also Newcastle did throw all there eggs into one basket with Johns to stop him from going to rah rah thats why they lost all those other players.

Half the problem was Newcastle's Managements and financial security.

Hagan left us in a good position football wise :|

You mean with the like of Carmont, Reynoldson on massive pay checks. Tanner, Brown being regular First Graders?

We were struggling that bad for good players at the end of Hagan's run that we needed to buy Craig Smith and Davico. Now don't get me wrong Smith was a good buy, but a buy we just shouldn't have needed to make.

Smith has let upwards of 10 players go at the end of this year... Why? Because they are sh*t players. Carmont... who the f**k would pay that bloke upwards of 180K? Ill tell you, Hagan. :).

TBH, the playing rosters of both teams would indicate Smith left Parra much better than Hages left Newi.

Actually we are very financially secure at the moment and have been for several years now. No other coach we had struggled with money, we always spent up to the cap even if the NRL had to cover what the club couldn't.

aqua_duck

Coach
parramaniac2516 said:

IS that why we signed guys like Kirk Reynoldsen, Josh Perry, Clint Newton, Mark Hughes, Adam Woolnough to nice healthy contracts whilst at the same time letting juniors like Greg Bird get poached

Stranger

Coach
aqua_duck said:
IS that why we signed guys like Kirk Reynoldsen, Josh Perry, Clint Newton, Mark Hughes, Adam Woolnough to nice healthy contracts whilst at the same time letting juniors like Greg Bird get poached

Now Now... Hages did promote Juniors and put them on contracts. Look at Craig Hall, Justin Ryder...

El Diablo

Post Whore
JJ said:
Yes - but there was a reason that they played all those origins and tests, and the likes of Tony Priddle, Noel Goldthorpe, Ricky Walford, Ian Herron and so on didn't...

so they couldn't be beaten in finals, only regular season games?

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Im sorry but if you dont measure a great coach by premierships won how do you? When you remember Names in Rugby League Coaching like Sheens, Bennett and Gibson they were and are remembered because they won premierships.

Brian Smith does not fall under this category and never will. Neither does Hagan but he is just at the start of his coaching career.

fish eel

Immortal
Stranger said:
TBH, the playing rosters of both teams would indicate Smith left Parra much better than Hages left Newi.

when did newcastle finish last year?

Parramatta were a pea hearted, ill disciplined rabble when Smith left us last year.

Stranger

Coach
fish eel said:

Parramatta were a pea hearted, ill disciplined rabble when Smith left us last year.

Very much swayed by Statistics aren't we?

El Diablo

Post Whore
aqua_duck said:

so Hagan decided their salary, not the board???

fish eel

Immortal
Stranger said:
Very much swayed by Statistics aren't we?

I dont need stats to tell me that when Smith bailed on us last year (which he is very good at - not finishing contracts), Parramatta were a rabble, at best, lacking any discipline on or off the field.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I think it would pay for Parra fans to look at where the club was at when Smith arrived and the scales of which the club soared to in his time there. Obviously the situation became untenable when he knew he was leaving before the season started and I'm sure that would of played some role in the teams terrible start last season.

In regards to Mateo, Inu and Hayne I'd say that JT had his hand forced as the team was going nowhere and he had to try something. But who knows?

As for Hages there is no doubt that his coaching ability will stay questionable until he achieves something without Andrew Johns pulling the strings. I never thought he was much of a coach but he has surprised me a lot this year with what he has done with Parra. All in all I'd say things have worked out pretty well for both clubs.

fish eel

Immortal
S.S.T.I.D said:
I think it would pay for Parra fans to look at where the club was at when Smith arrived and the scales of which the club soared to in his time there. Obviously the situation became untenable when he knew he was leaving before the season started and I'm sure that would of played some role in the teams terrible start last season.

Smithy did well at our club, bit stayed to long and it all started to go pearshaped. He lost the plot last year.

In regards to Mateo, Inu and Hayne I'd say that JT had his hand forced as the team was going nowhere and he had to try something. But who knows?

Of those 3, only Hayne played first grade last year. Neither Mateo nor Inu were selected last year.
Mateo played one game in 2004, did well, and was cast off. Didnt play first grade again until this year.
Kris Inu made his first grade debut this year.

macavity

Referee
fish eel said:

eeerm we had Johns, Gidley, Carney, Quinn, Smith etc etc last year. and at any rate we fell apart without Buderus.

Parra are still a pea hearted rabble.