What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Springs09

Juniors
Just stating that things like: the Kangaroos not playing a touring Lions team is a massive mistake but not really common knowledge as its been "passed through to the keeper." Seems a common practice in rugby league circles or perhaps just this website. It's like the administrators are plotting "Lets not do the right thing by the code and hope noone notices!" And yes they are getting there wish!

I can guarantee that the majority of rugby league dates and fixtures aren't known by the majority of the rugby league community. Most wouldn't know there's a Lions Tour, many wouldn't know Origin is in Perth this year and many wouldn't even know who their NRL side is playing in Round 1.

Stallion

First Grade
I can guarantee that the majority of rugby league dates and fixtures aren't known by the majority of the rugby league community. Most wouldn't know there's a Lions Tour, many wouldn't know Origin is in Perth this year and many wouldn't even know who their NRL side is playing in Round 1.

Fair call. Their may be a marketing issue there to improve on?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Catching up with a longtime mate over-the-past weekend and we had an intriguing conversation on footy (rugby league) He currently manages a pub in Broome and says rugby league is getting bigger in WA. Think his pub is now sponsoring a newly formed rugby league team. He thought it was odd that their is no move afoot for a WA side in the NRL as it would greatly assist flexibility in scheduling and tv coverage times. My mate also thought that Brisbane should have a second team as this would also gain more options for scheduling games and tv times. My mate goes for the Broncos but grew up in Newcastle . I told him about the touring Lions not playing the Kangaroos this year and he shook his head in disbelief!

The reason none of these two teams have materialised yet is because the NRL don't have the balls to deal with oversaturation of the Sydney market

Pommy

Coach
Fair call. Their may be a marketing issue there to improve on?

I think the average fan just isn’t that bothered. It’s not limited to league either. I consider myself a big football fan also but I have no idea who England are playing in 9 months time. Most people just have more important things to worry about.

Stallion

First Grade
I think the average fan just isn’t that bothered. It’s not limited to league either. I consider myself a big football fan also but I have no idea who England are playing in 9 months time. Most people just have more important things to worry about.

Think the odd mention by someone like Todd Greenberg gives plenty of publicity to plugging big games. Alot to do with when and how much emphasis or priority is given for such games. Getting it out there is half the issue. If it's not stated/written about, noone will hear or see it.

Pommy

Coach
Think the odd mention by someone like Todd Greenberg gives plenty of publicity to plugging big games. Alot to do with when and how much emphasis or priority is given for such games. Getting it out there is half the issue. If it's not stated/written about, noone will hear or see it.

Honestly to people like me and you were clearly going to pay attention the average fan probably doesn’t even know who Todd Greenberg is.
Perhaps after this off season they do, but only because he’s on TV making a statement about the most recent outrage.

Stallion

First Grade
Honestly to people like me and you were clearly going to pay attention the average fan probably doesn’t even know who Todd Greenberg is.
Perhaps after this off season they do, but only because he’s on TV making a statement about the most recent outrage.

There are angles proactive organisations can use to promote events. Mentions during primetIme coverage of the code (grandfinal etc)with emphasis done to get it out there. It's a matter of publicing effectively and cross promotion. For instance, I've always wondered why the NRL don't use the Sydney race day prior to the grandfinal to have a race featuring all NRL clubs jumpers on the jockeys and call it the "Grandfinal Prelude" or "Challenge". Don't think rugby-league games are marketed well at all. Such cross promotion does have a positive effect. It would probably get people going to the grandfinal also going to the races. It would also increase the awareness of the grandfinal in Sydney. Using things like the Sydney Spring carnival to cross promote the rugby league finals series is something that should be done in my opinion. Things like that would work.

Pommy

Coach
There are angles proactive organisations can use to promote events. Mentions during primetIme coverage of the code (grandfinal etc)with emphasis dones get it out there. It's a matter of publicing effectively and cross promotion. For instance I've always wondered why the NRL don't use the Sydney race day prior to the grandfinal to have race featuring all NRL clubs jumpers on the jockeys and call the "Grandfinal Prelude" or "Challenge". Don't think rugby-league games are marketed well at all. Such cross promotion does have a positive effect. It would probably get people going to the grandfinal also going to the races. It would also increase the awareness of the grandfinal in Sydney. Using things like the Sydney Springs carnival to cross promote the rugby league finals series is something that should be done in my opinion.

Racing whilst loved by the lower classes for the gambling side has an elitist over tone and rugby league has based itself on being for the working class. I’m not sure they would want to promote such a game.

Stallion

First Grade
Racing whilst loved by the lower classes for the gambling side has an elitist over tone and rugby league has based itself on being for the working class. I’m not sure they would want to promote such a game.

I'd suggest they would. One of racings best and most dynamic officials is a confessed rugby league fan, Peter Vilandes. He's also somewhere in the ARLC set up.In Australia, horse racing is very much a people's domain. Not elitist at all like in England. Nothing like it in fact.

Springs09

Juniors
There are angles proactive organisations can use to promote events. Mentions during primetIme coverage of the code (grandfinal etc)with emphasis done to get it out there. It's a matter of publicing effectively and cross promotion. For instance, I've always wondered why the NRL don't use the Sydney race day prior to the grandfinal to have a race featuring all NRL clubs jumpers on the jockeys and call it the "Grandfinal Prelude" or "Challenge". Don't think rugby-league games are marketed well at all. Such cross promotion does have a positive effect. It would probably get people going to the grandfinal also going to the races. It would also increase the awareness of the grandfinal in Sydney. Using things like the Sydney Spring carnival to cross promote the rugby league finals series is something that should be done in my opinion. Things like that would work.

Increase awareness of the Grand Final in Sydney? Cause yeah, the GF certainly isn't promoted enough when it's all you hear about on any news coverage the whole week.

Only mega-fans ever know what's happening at the end of the year. Most fans will be clued up by the end of the year when it starts to be mentioned more on TV or their club gets kicked out and they look up if there's any internationals in their city post-season. This isn't just RL. Even with amateur club sides, most players wouldn't even know where and who they are playing until the week before.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And in the case of Brisbane the Broncos don't want to share their city with another NRL franchise.

I'm not sure McDonalds get a say in where Burger King opens up an outlet! Of course they dont, what business would want to share its customer base?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I see the NFL had a floating pitch promoting superbowl in Sydney harbour, with NRL players on it lol. Our sport has no idea about marketing let alone the notion of cross promotion!

TheFrog

Coach
I'm not sure McDonalds get a say in where Burger King opens up an outlet! Of course they dont, what business would want to share its customer base?
The problem is not that the Broncos want Brisbane all to themselves, it's that the NRL allows them to have it.

Coastbloke

Bench
I'm hearing the whole tour is in serious doubt now....a decision will be made next week

Are you hearing any reasons why?
Is it viability through lack of Kangaroos matches?
Is there any talk of replacement tours/fixtures?

Maybe the 9s are considered as sufficient enough International competition at the end of the year.. :confused:

roughyedspud

Coach
Why?

this tour won't generate enough money...just like some of us said it wouldn't months ago..

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Another anecdotal conversation with a local solar power sales person yesterday about rugby-league. Two main points brought up were: this guy was also a rugby league junior in Merewether at 16 that went over to union due to all of his mates doing so(social relevance being the reasoning for changing codes) & 2. He loudly exclaimed "WHAT!?" when I informed that the Lions were to tour the South Pacific this year and are not playing the Australian Kangaroos.