What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Stallion

First Grade
It’s hard to know very mixed reporting and no confirmation from nrl. Some say barely broke even, this one claims they made $1million! Considering players took a massive pay cut from $20k to $3k the nrl would have some explaining to do if they made a massive profit!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/us...-profits-from-tonga-test-20181224-p50o2z.html

From cost point of view you’d be looking at $380k in player payments plus around $200k for stadium hire, plus other staff and advertising costs. GB would expect around $350-500k. So the game would need to bring in over $1mill to make it worthwhile.That would require a sell out of WSS at around $30 ticket avg price plus decent corporate box sales. I can see why the nrl don’t have confidence in themselves to achieve this, they couldn’t organise a successful RLWC, they are probably best leaving these things to others!

So you're stating on those figures (ground hire cost :no source etc)that rugby league cannot stage an international in Australia with the Kangaroos playing arch rival Great Britain!? I'm not convinced. You have used unsourced information and also assumed that other parties like local councils or the state government would not assist in such a test happening? Very poor endeavour and business acumen from those concerned as far as hosting such a match .That's my conclusion and sticking with it!
PS: What's more embarassing is that other codes can host such a test and of all sports (in its own heartland area of the world) Rugby league cannot do so at a profit! Shamefull and embarassing on all counts! And the guys pontificating otherwise are just insincere "spoilers" doing their obstropolous bit within the website as per usual!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you're stating on those figures (ground hire cost :no source etc)that rugby league cannot stage an international in Australia with the Kangaroos playing arch rival Great Britain!? I'm not convinced. You have used unsourced information and also assumed that other parties like local councils or the state government would not assist in such a test happening? Very poor endeavour and business acumen from those concerned as far as hosting such a match .That's my conclusion and sticking with it!
PS: What's more embarassing is that other codes can host such a test and of all sports (in its own heartland area of the world) Rugby league cannot do so at a profit! Shamefull and embarassing on all counts! And the guys pontificating otherwise are just insincere "spoilers" doing their obstropolous bit within the website as per usual!

No disagreement from me, it’s a very poor reflection on the nrl. I’m saying that it costs roughly $1million to stage a major international. That is what the nrl needs to bring in from a variety of revenue sources for it to be viable for them. The fact they don’t think they can achieve it is a pretty sad reflection on them.

The figures are guesstimates except the player salaries, $20k a game was negotiated with Rlpa last year. Venue hire is based on what nrlwa ceo told me it costs to hire nib for an nrl game ($140k) so presumably somewhere like a brand new wss would be more. GB need to make some money out of it so that figure might be a bit under.

Stallion

First Grade
No disagreement from me, it’s a very poor reflection on the nrl. I’m saying that it costs roughly $1million to stage a major international. That is what the nrl needs to bring in from a variety of revenue sources for it to be viable for them. The fact they don’t think they can achieve it is a pretty sad reflection on them.

The figures are guesstimates except the player salaries, $20k a game was negotiated with Rlpa last year. Venue hire is based on what nrlwa ceo told me it costs to hire nib for an nrl game ($140k) so presumably somewhere like a brand new wss would be more. GB need to make some money out of it so that figure might be a bit under.

So we do agree that a lack of business acumen and entrepreneurial endeavour is at play with the NRL/ARLC. Instead of ridiculing the theme of this thread I suggest you show your support for the theme like you have just shown? We do agree on this PR. It's a bad mistake and it deserves to be exposed and discussed. As at the moment it is a scheduling disgrace for the code. Bringing it to the attention of those on this site is valid and this is now thankfully occuring! We all know that it won't be proactively resolved but we do know that this major mistake exists! And should never occur again! It's embarassing!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There is a disdain for ANZ stadium . It is not regarded as a great venue. The new Parramatta stadium had it been 45000 capacity would also have sold out. I DID MENTION THE SFS!? it's not in use. The Kangaroos v LIONS match in NSW would be a success if prudent marketing was a reality . Unfortunately it's not! That's the point of the thread and I'm glad it's up as I'm pretty sure that this massive scheduling omission would have passed through to the keeper like a number of issues that exist for rugby league.

Yes, there is distain for ANZ but the biggest events in Sydney are still played there because of the capacity; Origin, Bledisloe, Socceroos matches etc. If there is demand for this match to the level that you claim there is, why wouldn't you suggest ANZ as the venue? It puts the event in front of everyone's eyes as a marquee event. Is that because despite your posts you know deep down that there isn't that level of demand for it?

Here is a list of the most recent crowds the Kangaroos have pulled in Sydney:

2017 v Lebanon at SFS: 21k
2014 v NZ @ SFS 25k
2010 v PNG @ Parramatta 11k
2008 v Fiji @ SFS 15k
2008 v NZ @ SFS 34k
2008 v NZ @ SCG 34k
2006 v NZ @ SFS 27k
2006 v GB @ SFS 24k
2005 v NZ @ ANZ 28k

Why on earth would you think that Aus v GB would sell 45k tickets and where is the evidence to back that claim?

Pommy

Coach
So stallion I’m still waiting for your figures so I can do the maths you told me to do.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, there is distain for ANZ but the biggest events in Sydney are still played there because of the capacity; Origin, Bledisloe, Socceroos matches etc. If there is demand for this match to the level that you claim there is, why wouldn't you suggest ANZ as the venue? It puts the event in front of everyone's eyes as a marquee event. Is that because despite your posts you know deep down that there isn't that level of demand for it?

Here is a list of the most recent crowds the Kangaroos have pulled in Sydney:

2017 v Lebanon at SFS: 21k
2014 v NZ @ SFS 25k
2010 v PNG @ Parramatta 11k
2008 v Fiji @ SFS 15k
2008 v NZ @ SFS 34k
2008 v NZ @ SCG 34k
2006 v NZ @ SFS 27k
2006 v GB @ SFS 24k
2005 v NZ @ ANZ 28k

Why on earth would you think that Aus v GB would sell 45k tickets and where is the evidence to back that claim?

Where is the evidence that it won't! ? Positive marketing and backing the product has failed dismally in this regard. And so have you! I find it incredible you (the peanut gallery ) cant fathom anot interest for people to want to see the Kangaroos playing the Lions in NSW. You have conveniently not mentioned great crowds of past decades. So in your mind that can't be replicated? Some of us are not that negative!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Where is the evidence that it won't! ? Positive marketing and backing the product has failed dismally in this regard. And so have you! I find it incredible you (the peanut gallery ) cant fathom anot interest for people to want to see the Kangaroos playing the Lions in NSW. You have conveniently not mentioned great crowds of past decades. So in your mind that can't be replicated? Some of us are not that negative!

You are the one claiming that it will sell 45k tickets in Sydney despite the Kangaroos not having drawn that in Sydney since 1974. Asking me for evidence that it won't is like saying that the tooth fairy is real and when I ask you for evidence, you turning around and asking me for evidence that she isn't real.

I know you love avoiding questions with insults but address a question with a straight answer for once; where is the evidence that they will draw 45k? And no, Kangaroos crowds from the 70's have zero relevance to their ability to draw crowds today. Also, why did you choose Newcastle over Sydney as a proposed host? Was it because deep down you know that your claim of being able to draw 45k is without substance?

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
You are the one claiming that it will sell 45k tickets in Sydney despite the Kangaroos not having drawn that in Sydney since 1992. Asking me for evidence that it won't is like saying that the tooth fairy is real and when I ask you for evidence, you turning around and asking me for evidence that she isn't real.

I know you love avoiding questions with insults but address a question with a straight answer for once; where is the evidence that they will draw 45k? And no, Kangaroos crowds from the 70's have zero relevance to their ability to draw crowds today. Also, why did you choose Newcastle over Sydney as a proposed host? Was it because deep down you know that your claim of being able to draw 45k is without substance?

It's diabolical that people like yourself do not think rugby league cannot draw a good crowd in Sydney!? You are quick to dismiss , not even entertain that some new generations of supporters may just warm to international rugby league, especially a massive traditional rivalry in the Lions and Kangaroos . From my experience as a teacher, I show kids photos of massive crowds from test of decades gone by and they are impressed and wonder why they don't get the opportunity to see such games nowadays!.You seem to think rugby league cant attract crowds in its own heartland .I firmly believe it can and gain the youth vote as well! But it's being held back by flawed and timid excuses favoring not having international rugby league on show in Australia! It's so dissapointing and you should be ashamed of your negative stance. Rugby league deserves better but it's not getting it's just place in the sun! The negativity is what is dissappointing me the most. It's a great product and internationally the many class British players along with the coaches involved (Bennet/ Meninga) would add to a great test spectacle between the Kangaroos and Lions in Australia. It's embarassing what has been provided for international rugby league in 2019 for the Australian public. A genuine shame!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's diabolical that people like yourself do not think rugby league cannot draw a good crowd in Sydney!? You are quick to dismiss , not even entertain that some new generations of supporters may just warm to international rugby league, especially a massive traditional rivalry in the Lions and Kangaroos . From my experience as a teacher, I show kids photos of massive crowds from test of decades gone by and they are impressed and wonder why they don't get the opportunity to see such games nowadays!.You seem to think rugby league cant attract crowds in its own heartland .I firmly believe it can and gain the youth vote as well! But it's being held back by flawed and timid excuses favoring not having international rugby league on show in Australia! It's so dissapointing and you should be ashamed of your negative stance. Rugby league deserves better but it's not getting it's just place in the sun! The negativity is what is dissappointing me the most. It's a great product and internationally the many class British players along with the coaches involved (Bennet/ Meninga) would add to a great test spectacle between the Kangaroos and Lions in Australia. It's embarassing what has been provided for international rugby league in 2019 for the Australian public. A genuine shame!

Those massive crowds that you describe for Kangaroos matches in Sydney haven't existed since the 1970's, not one over 45k since 1974 in fact. That was 45 years ago. Oh and you didn't answer the question.... again. I've given you a list of crowds since 2005. None of them really came close to 45k and the Kangaroos haven't drawn 45k+ in Sydney since 1974. What makes you think that a match between GB and Australia this year in Sydney would draw 45k?

And

Why did you choose Newcastle? Is it because you know that the above is true about Sydney and that they won't get near 45k.

Let's see if you can give a straight answer on the third time of asking.

Stallion

First Grade
Those massive crowds that you describe for Kangaroos matches in Sydney haven't existed since the 1970's, not one over 45k since 1974 in fact. That was 45 years ago. Oh and you didn't answer the question.... again. I've given you a list of crowds since 2005. None of them really came close to 45k and the Kangaroos haven't drawn 45k+ in Sydney since 1974. What makes you think that a match between GB and Australia this year in Sydney would draw 45k?

And

Why did you choose Newcastle? Is it because you know that the above is true about Sydney and that they won't get near 45k.

Let's see if you can give a straight answer on the third time of asking.

Ok. This the answer. The Kangaroos mostly dominated international rugby league from the 1970s onwards. Only recently have the British players along with an astute coach have become competitive. If ever a game against the Lions should occur it's now! Very competitive side and the general public are very familiar with stars like Widdup, Graham etc. It's extremely logical for this to happen yet it's not! It's wrong.

Pommy

Coach
Is it possible that in the early 70s huge numbers of £10 poms would have been swelling those crowds?
Now migration has changed and you would be much more reliant on Australians to fill the seats.
Again just a thought.

Stallion

First Grade
Is it possible that in the early 70s huge numbers of £10 poms would have been swelling those crowds?
Now migration has changed and you would be much more reliant on Australians to fill the seats.
Again just a thought.

Lol .Any excuse but coming with rugby league is good enough and has enough fans for Kangaroos v LIONS to happen in Australia. But no we get this stuff!? I'm amazed!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ok. This the answer. The Kangaroos mostly dominated international rugby league from the 1970s onwards. Only recently have the British players along with an astute coach have become competitive. If ever a game against the Lions should occur it's now! Very competitive side and the general public are very familiar with stars like Widdup, Graham etc. It's extremely logical for this to happen yet it's not! It's wrong.

Yes, I agree that it should be happening, no question. But my question was what makes you think that the match would draw 45k? Widdop, Graham, Burgess & Hodgson? I think that a series rather than a one-off test would be very popular and probably more profitable for the ARL.

At the end of the day, if the Kangaroos player payments are making test matches unprofitable, then they are getting paid too much for the honour of representing their country because they are pricing themselves out of the market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So we do agree that a lack of business acumen and entrepreneurial endeavour is at play with the NRL/ARLC. Instead of ridiculing the theme of this thread I suggest you show your support for the theme like you have just shown? We do agree on this PR. It's a bad mistake and it deserves to be exposed and discussed. As at the moment it is a scheduling disgrace for the code. Bringing it to the attention of those on this site is valid and this is now thankfully occuring! We all know that it won't be proactively resolved but we do know that this major mistake exists! And should never occur again! It's embarassing!

I havent ridiculed this thread, I’ve ridiculed you whenever you’ve brought this topic up in other threads as this one exists. And for the umpteenth time everyone agrees with you it is a sht reflection on the nrl and a very poor decision. I’m not sure what is left to discuss though. It’s a poor decision, it is weak by the nrl, it’s a missed opportunity for the kangaroo brand and it’s not going to change because we keep saying it on here. What’s left to discuss?

Pommy

Coach
Lol .Any excuse but coming with rugby league is good enough and has enough fans for Kangaroos v LIONS to happen in Australia. But no we get this stuff!? I'm amazed!

You literally claimed rugby union infiltrated cricket Australia to sabotage the rugby league World Cup, but less British migrants in Australia is a mental reason for smaller crowds....

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will take ten years of consistent fixtures, kangaroos getting beat more often, media hype, nrl investment and a magical disintegration of rl fan apathy to ever see close to 45k in Sydney again for an ashes sèries. It’s by no stretch impossible but I see absolutely zero evidence the nrl has the vision, interest or money to do it. More chance in Brisbane I’d say.

Stallion

First Grade
I havent ridiculed this thread, I’ve ridiculed you whenever you’ve brought this topic up in other threads as this one exists. And for the umpteenth time everyone agrees with you it is a sht reflection on the nrl and a very poor decision. I’m not sure what is left to discuss though. It’s a poor decision, it is weak by the nrl, it’s a missed opportunity for the kangaroo brand and it’s not going to change because we keep saying it on here. What’s left to discuss?

That's reassuring Pommy. More of the same ! These dodos in the NRL are incompetent. They need to know this and we need to let them know as much as possible. We agree Pommy. It's the emphasis of this mistake that needs upgrading and publicity. Going through to the keeper won't help these dodos not repeat the mistake again! And this one is a massive error financially and culturally for the code. Its damage is more than just money!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
You literally claimed rugby union infiltrated cricket Australia to sabotage the rugby league World Cup, but less British migrants in Australia is a mental reason for smaller crowds....

Lol. I still have my suspicions given the track record of rugby union as a code toward rugby league. It's a fair assumption. I'll stick with it thanks . You might not think rugby league is being repressed in various ways . I and others do.

Last edited: