What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It will take ten years of consistent fixtures, kangaroos getting beat more often, media hype, nrl investment and a magical disintegration of rl fan apathy to ever see close to 45k in Sydney again for an ashes sèries. It’s by no stretch impossible but I see absolutely zero evidence the nrl has the vision, interest or money to do it. More chance in Brisbane I’d say.

This

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I question the general fan apathy , although their is an element. I do believe this element of apathy stems from poor administrative emphasis and lack of due diligence for the international game.

You are spot on! The Ashes and Anzac series (full three-game seris, not one-off tests) could be massive if there was a concerted effort by the NRL, NZRL, RFL & RLIF to put it in the calendar regularly and stick to it.

Stallion

First Grade
You are spot on! The Ashes and Anzac series (full three-game seris, not one-off tests) could be massive if there was a concerted effort by the NRL, NZRL, RFL & RLIF to put it in the calendar regularly and stick to it.

Yes. However just one Lions v Kangaroos test would have made a significant plus for the code internationally speaking. It would have also complemented and encouraged aspiring footballers to play rugby league instead of other codes. A massive prime time opportunity lost from poor scheduling and even poorer priorities.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes. However just one Lions v Kangaroos test would have made a significant plus for the code internationally speaking. It would have also complemented and encouraged aspiring footballers to play rugby league instead of other codes. A massiver prime time opportunity lost from poor scheduling and even poorer priorities.

I would love to have seen the Kangaroos v Lions test this year in Australia but I can't agree that one test would have made any difference. If it were a part of a new concerted push to revive a series or part of a new push by the NRL to promote the Kangaroos regularly against the best challengers then yes. But as a one-off (most likely poorly promoted) match, then it won't even be a blip on the radar.

Stallion

First Grade
I would love to have seen the Kangaroos v Lions test this year in Australia but I can't agree that one test would have made any difference. If it were a part of a new concerted push to revive a series or part of a new push by the NRL to promote the Kangaroos regularly against the best challengers then yes. But as a one-off (most likely poorly promoted) match, then it won't even be a blip on the radar.

It's better than what's happening!

Stallion

First Grade
Why is a game against the roos better than 2 games against kiwis and one against Tonga and PNG?

There is no test match between the touring Lions and the Kangaroos in Australia in 2019 Just one test to complement the other matches would have been better than nothing!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes. However just one Lions v Kangaroos test would have made a significant plus for the code internationally speaking. It would have also complemented and encouraged aspiring footballers to play rugby league instead of other codes. A massiver prime time opportunity lost from poor scheduling and even poorer priorities.

A one-off test would have done none of these things unless it was tied to a greater push by the game culminating in greater marketing efforts and a greater commitment to the Ashes (even it was Aus v Eng instead of GB from now on). If that were true then all of the one-off tests in the past would have sparked these things including the one-off test against the Kiwis this year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Remember when the RUWC was here and they said it would inspire millions of kids to play the game, guess what? Kids don’t take up sport because of one off internationals, they play it because it’s seen as cool, their mates are playing or it or the school is playing it.

Stallion

First Grade
Remember when the RUWC was here and they said it would inspire millions of kids to play the game, guess what? Kids don’t take up sport because of one off internationals, they play it because it’s seen as cool, their mates are playing or it or the school is playing it.

Kids also play the sport if they enjoy it! That's the main reason I suggest! Trust me I've played most football codes and rugby league and soccer were the most enjoyable for myself. Being exposed and aware of the sport helps!

Stallion

First Grade
Catching up with a longtime mate over-the-past weekend and we had an intriguing conversation on footy (rugby league) He currently manages a pub in Broome and says rugby league is getting bigger in WA. Think his pub is now sponsoring a newly formed rugby league team. He thought it was odd that their is no move afoot for a WA side in the NRL as it would greatly assist flexibility in scheduling and tv coverage times. My mate also thought that Brisbane should have a second team as this would also gain more options for scheduling games and tv times. My mate goes for the Broncos but grew up in Newcastle . I told him about the touring Lions not playing the Kangaroos this year and he shook his head in disbelief!

Pommy

Coach
Catching up with a longtime mate over-the-past weekend and we had an intriguing conversation on footy (rugby league) He currently manages a pub in Broome and says rugby league is getting bigger in WA. Think his pub is now sponsoring a newly formed rugby league team. He thought it was odd that their is no move afoot for a WA side in the NRL as it would greatly assist flexibility in scheduling and tv coverage times. My mate also thought that Brisbane should have a second team as this would also gain more options for scheduling games and tv times. My mate goes for the Broncos but grew up in Newcastle . I told him about the touring Lions not playing the Kangaroos this year and he shook his head in disbelief!

0514457a21011b8355478ca6216d4294347f00-wm.jpg

Stallion

First Grade
And he shook his head in disbelief?

I caught up with a mate on the weekend, big rugby league fan too, he just so happened to share all of my opinions.

Just stating that things like: the Kangaroos not playing a touring Lions team is a massive mistake but not really common knowledge as its been "passed through to the keeper." Seems a common practice in rugby league circles or perhaps just this website. It's like the administrators are plotting "Lets not do the right thing by the code and hope noone notices!" And yes they are getting there wish!

Pommy

Coach
9month till the tour...and nothing has been finalized..

It makes it really hard for travelling fans, people coming from the UK would likely be doing a once in a lifetime trip in many cases and taking a month off work. It doesn’t make it easy.

Last edited:

Latest posts