What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Pommy

Coach
Yes you are close minded! Fancy thinking that people don't follow a dominant code/sport when moving to a new country/area!? Plenty of people do this. I know firsthand numerous immigrants whom have adopted rugby league as their sport of choice since relocating to this part of the world.(my father being one of many)You think that doesn't happen!? You are extremely close minded! Rugby league is able to attract fans from various demographics and nationalities. It just does not have the establishment backing/support that codes like union are propagated with and enjoy. Despite this , the code of rugby league can still grow although some on this site, like yourself ,do not think this way! ? It's a very hard ask for rugby league, but it is achievable despite the obstacles. Your attitude being a case in point.

So you didn’t spend your time on the naughty step thinking about what you had done?
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen I’m saying lots of English expats don’t and this is why you have overestimated what the demand would be for a lions game in Sydney.
Don’t get me wrong I would love a game in Sydney it would save me a flight to NZ.
But just because you and I want it to happen doesn’t mean the masses do.
Also when your dad moved here how much Greek (sorry if that’s incorrect) sport was he able to stream in to his living room?

Stallion

First Grade
So you didn’t spend your time on the naughty step thinking about what you had done?
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen I’m lots of English expats don’t and this is why you have overestimated what the demand would be for a lions game in Sydney.
Don’t get me wrong I would love a game in Sydney it would save me a flight to NZ.
But just because me and you want it to happen doesn’t mean the masses do.
Also when your dad moved here how much Greek (sorry if that’s incorrect) sport was he able to stream in to his living room?

Biggotry has no barriers! He was able to watch on Greek tv and listen on Greek Radio. . Also read the Greek newspaper. He adopted the Bulldogs due to their colours being the same as the Greek national colours. And I have not overestimated the demand and attraction for a Kangaroos v England test in NSW. It would absolutely sellout in Newcastle for a start and the new stadium at Parramatta would be the same! No over estimation at play here at all!

Pommy

Coach
Biggotry has no barriers! He was able to watch on Greek tv and listen on Greek Radio. . Also read the Greek newspaper. He adopted the Bulldogs due to their colours being the same as the Greek national colours. And I have not overestimated the demand and attraction for a Kangaroos v England test in NSW. It would absolutely sellout in Newcastle for a start and the new stadium at Parramatta would be the same! No over estimation at play here at all!

What are you talking about bigotry for?
If selling out Newcastle is the best the lions can hope for the sport is f**ked.

Stallion

First Grade
What are you talking about bigotry for?
If selling out Newcastle is the best the lions can hope for the sport is f**ked.

My biggotry comment relates to the "naughty step" as you put it.
Lol. Not very consistent are you!? I have been championing the fact that Sydney or a major NSW city with a decent size stadium would be a sellout. Newcastle has a capacity of 33000 and can be extended with temporary seating to perhaps 40000. So yes Newcastle is definitely doable . And I have also pointed out that the new 30000 seat stadium at Parramatta would be full as well. Not to mention a massive tv audience which has been ignored by the so called "administrators " of the code in Australia. It's actually embarassing this whole scenario of Australia not willing to host Great Britain in rugby league. The people wanting to see rugby league not be internationally relevant are happy! It's also hurting junior recruitment and the general standing of the code in heartland areas of Australia . This is diabolical thinking on the part of so called rugby league administrators .

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
@Stallion

GB v Kangaroos in 2006 at the SFS drew 25k

The international game hasn’t grown in popularity since then. The crowd would be the same or smaller.

I am with @Pommy here. I would love the match to happen. My mouth would be watering in anticipation but sadly I’m in the minority on that one.

I am firmly in the camp that finds it unacceptable that the game won’t be played but also recognise that there is not an overwhelming demand for it to the point of a sold-out stadium in Sydney

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion

The international game hasn’t grown in popularity since then. The crowd would be the same or smaller.

I am with @Pommy here. I would love the match to happen. My mouth would be watering in anticipation but sadly I’m in the minority on that one.

I am firmly in the camp that finds it unacceptable that the game won’t be played but also recognise that there is not an overwhelming demand for it to the point of a sold-out stadium in Sydney

An amazing closed mindedness being shown by your observation! We are now in a different era.We have numerous English players in the NRL. This has a positive flow on effect in selling tickets and creating interest with a potentially newer market that isn't being given the opportunity to see prime time Kangaroo internationals against established rivals like England. Your determined stance to not have the Kangaroos sighted by fans in Australia at prime time and in NSW is mind boggling! . I reiterate Newcastle would be sold out with reasonable ticket pricing and promotion. Extra seating would be in play as well!

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
If they don't believe it is economically viable then so be it. Having said that, I can't see how hosting the Kiwis is any more of a windfall.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
An amazing closed mindedness being shown by your observation! We are now in a different era.We have numerous English players in the NRL. This has a positive flow on effect in selling tickets and creating interest with a potentially newer market that isn't being given the opportunity to see prime time Kangaroo internationals against established rivals like England. Your determined stance to not have the Kangaroos sighted by fans in Australia at prime time and in NSW is mind boggling! . I reiterate Newcastle would be sold out with reasonable ticket pricing and promotion. Extra seating would be in play as well!

As has been said previously in this thread. If selling out Newcastle and places like Townsville are considered major goals then it shows how far the ARLC have let the proud Kangaroo jersey fall.

In Sydney, Kangaroos crowds have been on the decline for a while. England, in GB shirts aren't going to arrest that slump by playing one game. I wish it would but it won't. It is going to take a concerted effort by the ARLC to restore the pride in the Kangaroos jersey and the international game. I, as an internationalist certainly hope they do and the current momentum does fully restore GB / England and New Zealand games at the very least to becoming automatic sell-outs at Suncorp, Allianz, ANZ (shall we dream?) and be able to draw huge crowds to venues like Optus Stadium and Docklands Stadium / MCG within the next decade.

Springs09

Juniors
@Stallion

Well I disagree with that, it absolutely has grown in popularity. The Kangaroos might not have though.

I think an England v Australia game could easily get a good crowd in NSW, especially if it was an Ashes series. For some reason England has been confined to Melbourne for the last ten years, apart from the final last year. I don't know why we are arguing against having a game here? Just because Stallion is an idiot and doesn't know when to shut up doesn't mean his original point isn't right. There should be an England v Australia game in Sydney (and Brisbane and Melbourne) next year.

Stallion, everyone understands your point. The problem is it has been made over and over again in several other threads for the last few months. Give it a rest, your tantrum-like posts don't help anything.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors
As has been said previously in this thread. If selling out Newcastle and places like Townsville are considered major goals then it shows how far the ARLC have let the proud Kangaroo jersey fall.

In Sydney, Kangaroos crowds have been on the decline for a while. England, in GB shirts aren't going to arrest that slump by playing one game. I wish it would but it won't. It is going to take a concerted effort by the ARLC to restore the pride in the Kangaroos jersey and the international game. I, as an internationalist certainly hope they do and the current momentum does fully restore GB / England and New Zealand games at the very least to becoming automatic sell-outs at Suncorp, Allianz, ANZ (shall we dream?) and be able to draw huge crowds to venues like Optus Stadium and Docklands Stadium / MCG within the next decade.

It's hardly a decline, more non-existent because they hardly play games there.
Since the last time they played Great Britain:
27k v NZ, 2006 Tri Nations Final
34k v NZ, 2008 ANZAC Test
34k v NZ, 2008 World Cup
15k v Fiji, 2008 World Cup Semi Final
11k v PNG, 2010 Four Nations
25k v NZ, 2014 ANZAC Test
21k v Lebanon, 2017 World Cup

In the last ten years they have played 3 games there and not exactly big ones.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well I disagree with that, it absolutely has grown in popularity. The Kangaroos might not have though.

I think an England v Australia game could easily get a good crowd in NSW, especially if it was an Ashes series. For some reason England has been confined to Melbourne for the last ten years, apart from the final last year. I don't know why we are arguing against having a game here? Just because Stallion is an idiot and doesn't know when to shut up doesn't mean his original point is right. There should be an England v Australia game in Sydney (and Brisbane and Melbourne) next year.

Stallion, everyone understands your point. The problem is it has been made over and over again in several other threads for the last few months.

Mate, I agree 100% - I would love a GB v Kangaroos game next year and I'm happy for it to be in Sydney. I think an Ashes series would pull bigger crowds than a one-off test but I don't think we are selling out WSS - I would love us to but I don't see it. The game is on the right path though and hopefully we will be building the crowds back over the coming decade with the new calendar and increased spread of the game.

Springs09

Juniors
Mate, I agree 100% - I would love a GB v Kangaroos game next year and I'm happy for it to be in Sydney. I think an Ashes series would pull bigger crowds than a one-off test but I don't think we are selling out WSS - I would love us to but I don't see it. The game is on the right path though and hopefully we will be building the crowds back over the coming decade with the new calendar and increased spread of the game.

Well I disagree with the last bit as well. The new calendar hasn't really done anything for the international game in Australia. We might get 1 game next year but NZ and Tonga will likely want their games to be in NZ. After that we are looking at 3 straight years without home internationals. A tour to Europe in 2020, World Cup in England 2021 and our famous year off in 2022 while NZ tour Europe. We might have some one-off tests against NZ before the tours but it really is dire that in a five year period we are looking at 2-3 home tests.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's hardly a decline, more non-existent because they hardly play games there.
Since the last time they played Great Britain:
27k v NZ, 2006 Tri Nations Final
34k v NZ, 2008 ANZAC Test
34k v NZ, 2008 World Cup
15k v Fiji, 2008 World Cup Semi Final
11k v PNG, 2010 Four Nations
25k v NZ, 2014 ANZAC Test
21k v Lebanon, 2017 World Cup

In the last ten years they have played 3 games there and not exactly big ones.

By 'a while now' I was referring to past decades where the Kangaroos where a real drawcard - admittedly that was going back 30 or 40 years now. That's where I want them to return to.

Stallion

First Grade

I note you still haven't acknowledged the ridiculous ticket prices for both England v Kangaroos games in Brisbane and Melbourne. This fact alone has negatively impacted the international look of the code in the eyes of many. ENGLAND V Kangaroos is long overdue . And the stadiums in NSW I have mentioned will be at full capacity given decent promotion and ticket pricing. Alas their is no opportunity for this to happen as a result of poor NRL scheduling for internationals.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I note you still haven't acknowledged the ridiculous ticket prices for both England v Kangaroos games in Brisbane and Melbourne. This fact lone has negatively impacted the international look of the code in the eyes of many. ENGLAND V Kangaroos is long overdue . And the stadiums in NSW I have mentioned will be at full capacity given decent promotion and ticket pricing. Alas their is no opportunity for this to happen as a result of poor NRL scheduling for internationals.

No, I won't acknowledge your repetetive argument that the pinnacle of international rugby league should sell off the tickets cheaply. The prices were reasonable enough and for such an occassion should not have been lowered. Sure, you might say we would get more people through the gate, but we might not too and then what? Less revenue....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well I disagree with the last bit as well. The new calendar hasn't really done anything for the international game in Australia. We might get 1 game next year but NZ and Tonga will likely want their games to be in NZ. After that we are looking at 3 straight years without home internationals. A tour to Europe in 2020, World Cup in England 2021 and our famous year off in 2022 while NZ tour Europe. We might have some one-off tests against NZ before the tours but it really is dire that in a five year period we are looking at 2-3 home tests.

The RLIF have done what they can. It is up to the ARLC to take the Kangaroos jersey seriously, organise matches in Australia and restore interest.

Springs09

Juniors
The RLIF have done what they can. It is up to the ARLC to take the Kangaroos jersey seriously, organise matches in Australia and restore interest.

I'm not blaming anyone I just disagree that the international game is on the right path and the new calendar was a step in the right direction - particularly for Australia.

Springs09

Juniors
No, I won't acknowledge your repetetive argument that the pinnacle of international rugby league should sell off the tickets cheaply. The prices were reasonable enough and for such an occassion should not have been lowered. Sure, you might say we would get more people through the gate, but we might not too and then what? Less revenue....

I was at both games. Tickets were a rip.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not blaming anyone I just disagree that the international game is on the right path and the new calendar was a step in the right direction - particularly for Australia.

Are there are parts of the new calendar that I would like to be better? Absolutely, a confed cup / 6 nations / 4 nations (one of these) - but I will take it, it is a huge step forward and the Oceania Championship is huge for the game. The Kangaroos play at the whim of the players union so I guess the game as a whole had to make the decision to move forward despite this for the sake of other nations.

Latest posts