What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Pommy

Coach
$160 and more for tickets that should have been much cheaper! From memory their was a small allocation of GA tickets and they were comparatively high. Most tickets should have been reasonably priced. It's clear the poor attendance(*in these overpriced games) reflected not only poor venue/city selection but also high prices for a prodict aiming to gain back lost popularity in international rugby league. The Tonga game featured reasonable ticket prices unlike the major Kangaroos games .

So what were the numbers of GA tickets and what were the prices?
The Tonga game barely broke even according to reports so it’s hardly a shining example. That was with the Australian players taking a large pay cut.

Stallion

First Grade
So what were the numbers of GA tickets and what were the prices?
The Tonga game barely broke even according to reports so it’s hardly a shining example. That was with the Australian players taking a large pay cut.

You are still not getting it are you? The Tonga game was an outstanding atmosphere and advert for the international game going forward . Your greedy money grabbing stance does no favours for the image of the code in the eyes of neutral viewers or prospective fans of our code. SO your logic is let's price it out of reach from neutrals and low socio economic fans and on top of that show a half full stadium for a showpiece tournament trying to capture international recognition . Stop wasting my time Pommy!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You think they were over the top, that doesn’t mean they were actually over the top.
What were the prices for general admission tickets at these games?

$40 ga at Suncorp, not over the top by any stretch. In fact I challenge you to go to any professional sports World Cup final for less than you could have gone to rlwc2017 for.i paid $120 for a seat located in front of the england coaches box. That is dirt cheap compared to any other major entertainment event I’ve been to. Shit I paid more to go see the jersey boys at the capitol theatre in Sydney at the weekend. As a RL fan you should be absolutely ashamed if you are using the ticket prices as an excuse for not going to RLWC games.

Pommy

Coach
You are still not getting it are you? The Tonga game was an outstanding atmosphere and advert for the international game going forward . Your greedy money grabbing stance does no favours for the image of the code in the eyes of neutral viewers or prospective fans of our code. SO your logic is let's price it out of reach from neutrals and low socio economic fans and on top of that show a half full stadium for a showpiece tournament trying to capture international recognition . Stop wasting my time Pommy!

The games have to turn a profit, if they don’t there won’t be anymore. This is the exact reason GB won’t be playing in Australia.
You still can’t answer the question what were the prices and what were the numbers.
You’re just waffling which is not surprising, give us facts rather than waffle.

Stallion

First Grade
The games have to turn a profit, if they don’t there won’t be anymore. This is the exact reason GB won’t be playing in Australia.
You still can’t answer the question what were the prices and what were the numbers.

If they don't appear attractive to the public ato large the game is finished anyway! Take a hit for the future! But the 'expert' in you can't see this!

Stallion

First Grade
Money makes the world go around Stallion, it doesn’t take an expert to realise that.

And you blokes just don't seem to understand that this particular code needs to crawl before it can walk! Enticing prospective fans with lower price tickets is a good tact. You dudes seem to think half empty stadiums are a positive look for rugby league. All that look promotes , so scorn and ridicule from those that dislike the game and a disregard from those that may like rugby league. But see it as a "struggling" sport due to the empty seats in its big games. Go figure!

Stallion

First Grade

Seriously. I'm aware the ticket prices were high! It's some time ago. And their was considerable discussion as to ticket pricing for the final. Idiots like PR were trumpeting the high prices and I predicted absolutely no chance of a sellout for the final due to the ticket prices.PR shit himself and came back conceding that no full house would be happening . The reason being high ticket prices.But logic doesn't sit well with you blokes.

Pommy

Coach
And you blokes just don't seem to understand that this particular code needs to crawl before it can walk! Enticing prospective fans with lower price tickets is a good tact. You dudes seem to think half empty stadiums are a positive look for rugby league. All that look promotes , so scorn and ridicule from those that dislike the game and a disregard from those that may like rugby league. But see it as a "struggling" sport due to the empty seats in its big games. Go figure!

You can’t even tell us how cheap the tickets were at the games you are complaining about.
You literally don’t know what point you’re arguing.

Stallion

First Grade

You dumb shit . Are you even aware that the Lions v Kangaroos would be an absolute sellout in NSW 2nd largest city, Newcastle? I put it to you let's have all tickets for a 35000 capacity stadium at $30. Over one million dollars at the gate alone. Let's take away the 17 times $20000 for the Kangaroos equaling $340000. Take whatever the Lions receive and a profit before merchandIse sales is realised. Not only that profit figure but a massive prime time tv audience enjoying and being exposed to international rugby league. This also doesn't factor any local/state government concessions/deals for this to occur which may offset a number of other costs. instead we have NOTHING! Funnily enough, I mentioned this to a mate today whom casually follows rugbyleague and he was amazed that the Kangaroos were not hosting the Lions in at least one test during their tour of the Southern Pacific in 2019. In fact he was astounded the RL administrators have made such a call!

Pommy

Coach
You dumb shit Are you even aware that the Lions v Kangaroos would be an absolute sellout in NSW 2nd largest city Newcastle? I put it to you let's have all tickets for a 35000 capacity stadrum at $30. Over one million dollars at the gate alone. Let's take away the 17 times $20000 for the Kangaroos equaling $340000. Take whatever the Lions receive and a profit before merchandIse sales is realised. Not only that profit figure but a massive prime time tv audience enjoying and being exposed to international rugby league. Instead we have NOTHING! Funnily enough I mentioned to a mate whom casually follows rugbyleague and he was amazed that the Kangaroos were not hosting the Lions on at least one test during their tour of the Southern pacific in 2019. In fact he was astounded the RL administrators have made such a call!

Lol, im a dumb shit? The stadium capacity is 33000 so you don’t clear a million with your pricing structure.
Also you’re planing on charging the same for seats as on the hill?
Looks like maths is another subject I hope you’re not teaching to the kids of Newcastle.

batley

Juniors
.The Aussie style of footy has killed the game and that's the reason for no internationals.There is no flair and it is very robotic.They can't even get decent crowds for the club games so Internationals have no chance. How come for Union Internationals can fill the house( in a supposedly League stronghold) even though the home team has a shocking record in regards to wins?

Stallion

First Grade
Lol, im a dumb shit? The stadium capacity is 33000 so you don’t clear a million with your pricing structure.
Also you’re planing on charging the same for seats as on the hill?
Looks like maths is another subject I hope you’re not teaching to the kids of Newcastle.

Lol. I'm informing you that the Newcastle stadium can easily add further seating due to the demand for such a test . I'm stating that all tickets priced at $30 would have such a test at full capacity. (Hill included!) I've attended this stadium with plenty of room available for Darren Lockyer's last test . The number was just under 33000 in attendance.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
.The Aussie style of footy has killed the game and that's the reason for no internationals.There is no flair and it is very robotic.They can't even get decent crowds for the club games so Internationals have no chance. How come for Union Internationals can fill the house( in a supposedly League stronghold) even though the home team has a shocking record in regards to wins?

Positive establishment based promotion and expat attendance (Irish for example) assisted some union test sellouts in Sydney on user friendly Saturdays in user friendly (location wise to pubs etc ) stadiums. However we have people in this site whom don't think English expats and a touring group would not attend a Kangaroos v LIONS test in NSW? Incredibly poor regard for the international game from some of you!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Positive establishment based promotion and expat attendance (Irish for example) assisted some union test sellouts in Sydney on user friendly Saturdays in user friendly (location wise to pubs etc ) stadiums. However we have people in this site whom don't think English expats and a touring group would not attend a Kangaroos v LIONS test in NSW? Incredibly poor regard for the international game from some of you!

What were the ticket prices like?

Stallion

First Grade
What were the ticket prices like?

Not really interested in union . But I do know their supporter demographic is much more wealthier than most rugby league fans. So if that's your line think again. Different charges for different clientelle/customers I suggest! But then again this does not register in the minds for some on this site.

Pommy

Coach
Not really interested in union . But I do know their supporter demographic is much more wealthier than most rugby league fans. So if that's your line think again. Different charges for different clientelle/customers I suggest! But then again this does not register in the minds for some on this site.

So Irish migrants can afford to go watch union but Australians can’t afford to watch the Roos? Ok then...0

Stallion

First Grade
So Irish migrants can afford to go watch union but Australians can’t afford to watch the Roos? Ok then...0

Different demographic involved between union and league fans. This is mainly due to rugby league not being allowed a presence in elite private schools. Think you can work it out from there! Then again?! I'd suggest not given your track record. Truelly ignorant.

Pommy

Coach
Different demographic involved between union and league fans. This is mainly due to rugby league not being allowed a presence in elite private schools. Think you can work it out from there! Then again?! I'd suggest not given your track record. Truelly ignorant.

Now you have demonstrated you have no idea what you are talking about here.
If you are going to bring the whole ‘not allowed in public schools’ argument up you might want to do some research on how Anglo sports were treated in Ireland for a long time, it was only Bout 10 years ago they GAA lifter their ban on playing the sport in their stadiums.
You’re argument doesn’t stack up, you pretty much claim the entire population of Australia needs a helping hand to get in to league where as the Irish expat population can pack out stadiums. You can’t pin that on union or ticket prices. I would put my neck out and say the majority of Irish migrants are doing working class jobs in Australia yet they can afford to buy tickets that Aussies can’t?

Stallion

First Grade
Now you have demonstrated you have no idea what you are talking about here.
If you are going to bring the whole ‘not allowed in public schools’ argument up you might want to do some research on how Anglo sports were treated in Ireland for a long time, it was only Bout 10 years ago they GAA lifter their ban on playing the sport in their stadiums.
You’re argument doesn’t stack up, you pretty much claim the entire population of Australia needs a helping hand to get in to league where as the Irish expat population can pack out stadiums. You can’t pin that on union or ticket prices. I would put my neck out and say the majority of Irish migrants are doing working class jobs in Australia yet they can afford to buy tickets that Aussies can’t?

Not so you ignoramus! If you care too look at other forms of repression against rugby league, you will find them. In my last vocation I had an Aussie bloke email information that he and his mate were told ;" You can play any other sport except for rugby league " whilst intending to play amateur rugby league during the off season after playing amateur union in Ireland. You can try to give an impression that the repression of rugby league has ceased however it hasn't. In Australia most public schools allow all football codes. However most elite private schools do not allow all football codes with rugby-league being the code consistently left out. The Aussie players in Ireland example happened in 2011. I'd suggest their are many more subtle ways that the union influence is doing its concerted bit against rugby league. Mind you its not only happening in Ireland! So don't preach that rugby league is not being repressed . It is and these dubious people are hell bent on seeing rugby league stay in its place as subservient to union and also maintaining a precarious existence around world. At no stage did I mention working class Irish immigrants, whom many are new fans of rugby league, when being exposed to it on the Eastern seaboard of OZ. My comment relates to an affluence that is a flow on with union having a mortgage in being the sport played in elite private schools. These affluent schools happen to be doing the development work of the union code with codes like rugby league completely on the outer. Your rose coloured glasses show your ignorance.

Last edited:

Latest posts