What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karmichael Hunt goes rah-rah

ramble_on

Juniors
comparisons of Ponting's and Hunt's salaries in this debate is farcical at best.... comparing the NRL to the European leagues is way beyond that...

Yeah, its interesting reading some of praise on the forum in general directed towards Wayne Bennett and the influence he had on our club - which is evident under the current circumstances.

Prior to around 12 months ago the phrases "he only appears to be a good coach because he has the cattle" and "overrated" were very much common place (even amongst the odd Saints fan no doubt).

Nice to see the mood in general finally change.

And yes, Henjak indeed has a lot on his plate but as a rookie coach it'll be a good test for him.

Gotta put my hand up on that one.

I was wrong.

VictoryFC

Bench
comparisons of Ponting's and Hunt's salaries in this debate is farcical at best.... comparing the NRL to the European leagues is way beyond that...

I wasn't comparing wages, rather making the point that its nonsensical to do so. The point I was making was that its all relative - the other guy suggested that a sport that is perceived to be harder to play should automatically reward its players more than other sports. Which is, as you say, farcical at best.

JW

Coach
Gotta put my hand up on that one.

I was wrong.

I must admit though EA, it was probably not unreasonable to see Bennett ply his trade in a different organisation such as the Dragons to fully see what he was capable of. 21 seasons is an effing long time to be stuck in the same spot.

ramble_on

Juniors
I wasn't comparing wages, rather making the point that its nonsensical to do so. The point I was making was that its all relative - the other guy suggested that a sport that is perceived to be harder to play should automatically reward its players more than other sports. Which is, as you say, farcical at best.

my appologies VictoryFC for not including a quote in my delayed reply... I was refering to comments made by thomas and hutch......

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah I always understood posters opinion on Bennett - they weren't around to see what he did in the BRL (not to mention it's reputation as being a second rate competition) and the only other club he coached in the NSWRL was alongside another bloke who's name escapes me, so it was fair that fans wanted to see Bennett prove himself in Sydney and truth be told he's done a remarkable job. If he didn't impress you with his influence on the Kiwi's than he's certainly impressed you with his performance at the Dragons.

On Karmichael Hunt, he's going to be a big loss for the club but I'm unsure whether or not he'll be a huge loss on the game. I concede we had yet to see the best of Karmichael and that any loss of his magnitude is a blight but the deed is done and the NRL need's to ensure it won't happen again, we can't afford to keep turning over players of his capability.

Loudstrat

Coach
Wheres Frank Grimes? He pissed off to Japan too?

League players leave with rep jumpers - come back lucky to earn club ones. As for having done everything in the game - :lol: He's barely scratched the surface.

Vicious

Bench

League players leave with rep jumpers - come back lucky to earn club ones. As for having done everything in the game - :lol: He's barely scratched the surface.

Is he definately going ???
If so why hasn`t he already announced where he`s going ??? I know he wants to play SOO3, but would he be banned from playing if he announced he was leaving before SOO3 ???

hellteam

First Grade

Won premiership, won 4 Origin series, 11 tests for Australia.

More then most Parra players would even dream about. Massive loss for the Broncos, hopefully he comes back after his few years overseas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disapointing for the game but I don't balme anyone for moving to Sth of France for $00,000's more in salary. Can anyone here honestly say they would do different?

Loudstrat

Coach
Won premiership, won 4 Origin series, 11 tests for Australia.

More then most Parra players would even dream about. Massive loss for the Broncos, hopefully he comes back after his few years overseas.

That's everything is it?

How about 150, 200, 250, 300 club games?
Cementing a spot in the state - national sides?
Club captain?
Rep skipper?
Dally M medal?
Clive Churchill?
Harry Sunderland?
Golden Boot?
skipper a side to a GF?

How about topping a club tryscoring list? Getting a sponsorship contract? Life membership of club? Proving to be remembered in his position?

Having a stab at Irvine's record?

No - it's a cop out. He's achieved a bit - but has barely begun to climb the mountain of achievement.

Loudstrat

Coach
What thread? What is your rampant obsession now dickwad? Upset that your poster boy is pissing off to Japan? Throwing a tanty are we?

:lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Don't worry Frank, Loud has to be one of the biggest fair-weather posters on these boards. The fact that he had to get a new account speaks volumes of his character.

I'm glad cutie is going to Rugby Union.

Good luck to him, he can take Lote's spot on the Rexona Challenge.

Hasn't been that good lately anyway. A few glimpses here and there but nothing consistantly good, no great loss.

Union is sooo lame.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25725423-2722,00.html

Hunt has Irish eyes for Munster

Dan Koch | July 03, 2009
Article from: The Australian

EUROPEAN rugby union giant Munster has emerged as a frontline candidate to secure Broncos star Karmichael Hunt.

As revealed in The Weekend Australian last month, Hunt will pursue his blossoming career overseas next season, having turned his back on a $425,000 deal from the Broncos.

Hunt, who is out of contract at the end of the season, is weighing up two offers from Japanese rugby and has also attracted interest from Super League clubs.

However, it is believed Hunt is giving serious consideration to accepting a deal with Irish powerhouse Munster.

As well as providing a far stronger competition than Japan, Munster boasts the added lure of having Hunt's high school coach Tony McGahan at the helm.

Hunt yesterday reiterated his desire to wait until the end of the State of Origin series before announcing his decision.

However, Broncos fans will tonight be given a glimpse into the future without him in the No1 jumper, after he succumbed to the ankle injury he sustained in last Sunday's loss to Parramatta.

Exciting youngster Josh Hoffman, who is a cousin of dual international Wendell Sailor, has been handed the job for tonight's match against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

He spent much of yesterday morning's training session picking Hunt's brain.

"He is a good kid. He has a heap of talent," Hunt said of the man who may well replace him next season.

"He has good pace and great feet and he has that knack of knowing where and when to chime into the backline, which all good fullbacks have.

"He is a pretty relaxed sort of guy. He won't be overawed."

Coach Ivan Henjak said Hunt had been close to playing but the risk of aggravating his ankle wasn't worth the risk.

"K just wasn't there; he didn't have the range to be able to run properly," Henjak said.

"It would have been a big risk to try to get 80 minutes of football out of him given we have only had the short, five-day turnaround between games.

"Maybe if he has another two days, but he just wasn't right."

Hoffman made his debut as part of the baby Broncos squad last season and retained his place the following week before dropping back to Brisbane's Toyota Cup side.

Off-season shoulder surgery delayed his start this year, but Henjak said Hoffman, 20, was one of the leading candidates to replace Hunt next season.

"He hasn't played a lot of football this year, which is why we didn't use him in the Sharks game," Henjak said.

"But he has a few games under his belt now and he will do a good job for us. He is in the frame (to replace Hunt).

"We have to get through this year first and Karmichael is here for now. We will make a decision on who we will go with in pre-season, but Josh is certainly in the picture."

Some welcome familiar faces also breezed through yesterday's hit-out.

International right-side pairing Justin Hodges (knee) and Israel Folau (sternum) along with comeback kid Tonie Carroll are all set to take their places in what is a must-win game for both clubs.

Tipped to be premiership contenders this season, the Broncos (ninth) and Warriors (11th) have just one win between them in the past four rounds and risk losing touch with the top eight.

"It is going to be a tough match," Henjak said.

"It is always physical against the Warriors, and they are getting to a stage in their season where they need some wins.

"It won't be fatal if either side loses, but it will certainly put a bit more pressure on.

"We were roughly in the same position, points-wise, last year except for our for-and-against and we went into our next game and lost.

"We still managed to finish fifth, so it won't be fatal to us.

"But in terms of our confidence heading into the bye, it is an important game for us."
Story

Latest posts