What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karmichael Hunt goes rah-rah

Thomas

First Grade
I don't care if you don't want him back. That's fine. I dare say if he comes back to the NRL in 4 years time there will be clubs falling over himself to sign him.

Your view is archaic as those held by the stuffy RU merkins who banned players if they played RL...

If just find this "oh lordy! He's betraying the game!! He's not loyal" bullcrap to be highly amusing.

Anyone who thinks there is loyalty in professional sport is kidding themselves. It's not his fault that he can't earn what he wants in the NRL. Is he worth that sort of money? Depends on who you talk to. But can he get that money elsewhere? Bloody oath...

If I was offered double the salary to do a similar job in France or the UK I'd quit my job in a heartbeat.

Reading his interview in the paper today it shows he doesn't like the fishbowl existance of living in a town where every slack jawed yokel down at the shops wants your autograph or a cheesy photo.

ramble_on

Juniors
I don't care if you don't want him back. That's fine. I dare say if he comes back to the NRL in 4 years time there will be clubs falling over himself to sign him.

Your view is archaic as those held by the stuffy RU merkins who banned players if they played RL...

If just find this "oh lordy! He's betraying the game!! He's not loyal" bullcrap to be highly amusing.

Anyone who thinks there is loyalty in professional sport is kidding themselves. It's not his fault that he can't earn what he wants in the NRL. Is he worth that sort of money? Depends on who you talk to. But can he get that money elsewhere? Bloody oath...

If I was offered double the salary to do a similar job in France or the UK I'd quit my job in a heartbeat.

Reading his interview in the paper today it shows he doesn't like the fishbowl existance of living in a town where every slack jawed yokel down at the shops wants your autograph or a cheesy photo.

I see the issue of not allowing him to return to RL more as a deterent for others who choose to chase the dollar.... I've no problem with it but I sure as hell don't want my favorite sport to become the new retirement fund for highly skilled dual-internationals.... or lote for that matter....

Yeah well, he could play Union for Australia and not have a fishbowl existence, god knows they just sacked the only player anyone would recognise.

As for showing loyalty, it's not about loyalty any more, it's about the game and Union is the enemy.

Union cried for 100 years when blokes left to earn a crust playing Rugby League, this is no different. They can all wank on about "seeing the world" or the "the challenge" but just like the blokes from years ago, it's for the dough.

No turncoat should be allowed back and that goes both ways.

I see the issue of not allowing him to return to RL more as a deterent for others who choose to chase the dollar.... I've no problem with it but I sure as hell don't want my favorite sport to become the new retirement fund for highly skilled dual-internationals.... or lote for that matter....

Spot on.

If that gormless prat running the game had the balls to say "If you leave for Union, the door is closed behind you"...

Thomas

First Grade
Banning someone from coming back to your sport is going backwards. It's archaic.

What do you think the main reason some players are leaving to play RU overseas is? Because they can get more money, right?

Well, perhaps the NRL should look into the fact that NRL players are pretty well the worst paid professional athletes in the world. Jesus, Ricky Ponting earned over $2 million last year including a $1,000,000 salary from the ACA.

How much does the captain of the Kangaroos earn in a far more punishing sport?

Thomas

First Grade
As for showing loyalty, it's not about loyalty any more, it's about the game and Union is the enemy.

Union cried for 100 years when blokes left to earn a crust playing Rugby League, this is no different. They can all wank on about "seeing the world" or the "the challenge" but just like the blokes from years ago, it's for the dough.

No turncoat should be allowed back and that goes both ways.

I know you hate RU, but both codes of rugby are becoming closer. Now kids can play both sports and get offers from both codes. NRL clubs are signing RU juniors from South Africa and RU franchises are signing kids who've played RL all their life.

Shutting the door on someone because they wanted to try something different is petulant. It smacks of the blubbering kid in the playground. And yes, RU officials did it for 100 years and f**k, its something I hate about the game.

The NRL shouldn't go down that path.

Kiki

First Grade
I know you hate RU, but both codes of rugby are becoming closer. Now kids can play both sports and get offers from both codes. NRL clubs are signing RU juniors from South Africa and RU franchises are signing kids who've played RL all their life.

Shutting the door on someone because they wanted to try something different is petulant. It smacks of the blubbering kid in the playground. And yes, RU officials did it for 100 years and f**k, its something I hate about the game.

The NRL shouldn't go down that path.

as much as i HAAAATE union and all it's heinous toffy fans, i agree with you.

if the NRL had this policy than we wouldn't be watching Big Dell be amazing and a huge drawcard for league right now.

Charlie124

First Grade
f**ken leave him alone some of you

I've met cutie and I bloody liked him, he's a really good footy player and his reasons are genuine so good on him.

Best of luck, mate!

LeaveBritneyAlone_thumbnail.jpg

LEAVE cutie ALOOOONEE!!

Seriously though this really shouldnt be surprising to anyone at all.

Thomas

First Grade
as much as i HAAAATE union and all it's heinous toffy fans, i agree with you.

if the NRL had this policy than we wouldn't be watching Big Dell be amazing and a huge drawcard for league right now.

Hey!!! I'm not heinous or toffy!! I'm more creepy and leery.

Raider_69

Post Whore
meh, no loss
I've said it 1000 times, but for every one that goes to RU, there are 10 kids willing to step up and make a name for themselves. He will be soon forgotten, like Walker was, like Sailor was, like Tiquiri was, like Rogers was, like SBW was, like Gasnier was, like Tahu was etc

As soon as the next big thing hits the grade no one will even care what he's doing. But its should be a one way street, no returns

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Why are some of you carrying on like he has jilted your sister at the aisle ?

The guy has done all there is to do in our sport at only 22. He is a fantastic player and one every supporter would love to have at there club. (Other than the odd nutjob).

If at 22 I was offered the chance to earn good coin overseas and experience another culture then why not ? sh*t at 34 I would jump at the chance.

He is still young enough to come back to the NRL if he wanted to in the future. Brad Thorne did it as has Wendell Sailor and the sun is still rising in the morning.

aussies1st

Staff member
No, of course not. :roll:

Of course hes going to be a loss for you guys. But in terms of NRL, we have had superstars leave with new ones taking their place. Lose Sailor, Tuqiri, Rogers - discover Falou, Slater, Inglis
Probably the only one we have yet to cover is SBW.

hutch

First Grade
Well, perhaps the NRL should look into the fact that NRL players are pretty well the worst paid professional athletes in the world. Jesus, Ricky Ponting earned over $2 million last year including a $1,000,000 salary from the ACA.

exactly right, if we paid these footballers what they deserve, they wouldnt need to chase more money elsewhere. we are the biggest domestic rugby comp on earth, by a long way. we get the biggest crowds, biggest tv audiences and generate the most interest, yet we cant pay our top players anywhere near the amount smaller league and union comps can overseas. why? the nrl, even though it undersold itself in its tv deal, makes hundreds of millions of dollars through tv and sponsorship, yet the players receive only a minor portion of it.

and yes, we do have fantastic juniors who replace some of the stars who leave, but the nrl is a lot worse off for not having players such as tuquri, sbw, gasnier, tahu, gower and hunt. worse off in talent, and also because of the publicity we lose. we are starting to gain a reputation as a feeder comp, when we should be number 1.

JW

Coach
I agree. The loss of Bennett cannot be understated. I said this to fellow Brisbane fan mates at the start of the year despite the "Bennett who?" retorts I was met with when we were atop the ladder.

Yeah, its interesting reading some of praise on the forum in general directed towards Wayne Bennett and the influence he had on our club - which is evident under the current circumstances.

Prior to around 12 months ago the phrases "he only appears to be a good coach because he has the cattle" and "overrated" were very much common place (even amongst the odd Saints fan no doubt).

Nice to see the mood in general finally change.

And yes, Henjak indeed has a lot on his plate but as a rookie coach it'll be a good test for him.

VictoryFC

Bench
Banning someone from coming back to your sport is going backwards. It's archaic.

What do you think the main reason some players are leaving to play RU overseas is? Because they can get more money, right?

Australian cricket has to support how many players? If there was that much money in league, the players would get it. Other professional sports have all indicated that if the money is there, players will bleed the clubs dry, salary cap or no salary cap.

NFL teams have a salary cap of $110 million because they can support that figure, and because league revenues dictate what the salary cap sits at. NRL can't. Man Utd has a wage bill of $200 million odd. NRL doesn't. So what do the NRL admin have to look at? Increasing wages? Great idea; how do you go about it?

A start would be the TV rights negotiations. Nonetheless, its pointless to say Ricky Ponting doesn't deserve to be earning what he does - he does deserve it, cos theres enough money to give him that kind of salary.

Latest posts