What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney's DUBIOUS team selections/use of the bench YET AGAIN!

spartan2153

Juniors
Kearney will see out his contract & will probably get a extension half way thru next year. The board have put all there eggs into his basket so he will get everything he wants. Next. Year will be a massive acid test because none of our previous coaches especially our last had the flexibility if that much money to play with

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Kearney will see out his contract & will probably get a extension half way thru next year. The board have put all there eggs into his basket so he will get everything he wants. Next. Year will be a massive acid test because none of our previous coaches especially our last had the flexibility if that much money to play with

That's the way I see it too. God knows why. In the real world, you have to earn that kind of status. Granted, he does not have a fantastic squad to work with presently but I have seen nothing that warrants the kind of support and praise this bloke seems to generate with some people. It's funny how with many of the previous coaches it was all "perform or perish" but with SK it's "he deserves time"....like he has a proven track record or something - which, we all know, he hasn't.

I just hope the powers that be for this club do not throw an extension at him until at least the end of next year - once he has actually achieved something.

WOE

True EEL

Bench
i'm sorry i can't agree with this theory of not having sufficient players or can't trust a full squad of 17 players...wtf????

you MUST utilise all resources you have available to you. so what if you think you have a weak squad, why play 16 v 17??? and what confidence is the Coach instilling in his team/squad and the player in question (such as Rogers, O'Hanlon, Webb, etc) if he demonstrates to them and the team that they are just simply not up to it and you are just there as a fill in, emergency, back up etc

to me its not on.....he should be trying to build or instill confidence in these young guys or extra guys he has on the bench by utilising them - and if they do well they do well, great, if they fail, pick them up and encourage them for next week, FMD its not brain surgery?!?!?!

i mean let's leave O'Hanlon cold on the bench in the rain for 80 minutes, then throw him into Golden Point....let's play Joseph Paulo (out of the clear blue sky) for what 6 mins???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Kearney's earnt the right to have a lot of money to play with by having to spend his first year as coach a million bucks uner the cap.

Did any of the previous coaches have to deal with that?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's the way I see it too. God knows why. In the real world, you have to earn that kind of status. Granted, he does not have a fantastic squad to work with presently but I have seen nothing that warrants the kind of support and praise this bloke seems to generate with some people. It's funny how with many of the previous coaches it was all "perform or perish" but with SK it's "he deserves time"....like he has a proven track record or something - which, we all know, he hasn't.

He does have a proven track record.

He's spent his entire career being a winner.

True EEL

Bench
He does have a proven track record.

He's spent his entire career being a winner.

i wish SK every success ok.

but he hasn't proven anything, especially not being a winner, as a head coach! lets not confuse playing career and coaching
the only top-level success he has legitimately had as a head coach has been with NZ and let's face it, he did have a bloke by the name of Wayne Bennett 'helping' out...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
i wish SK every success ok.

but he hasn't proven anything, especially not being a winner, as a head coach! lets not confuse playing career and coaching
the only top-level success he has legitimately had as a head coach has been with NZ and let's face it, he did have a bloke by the name of Wayne Bennett 'helping' out...

same here but I dont know how good he is just yet

I just dont want to see us sack a coach every 12 months like we have been doing, we need to trust the decision made by the board and build on our staff and our squad and give them a chance imo

Kornstar

Coach

I just dont want to see us sack a coach every 12 months like we have been doing, we need to trust the decision made by the board and build on our staff and our squad and give them a chance imo

I agree that we can't sack a coach every year but he needs to improve dramatically next year or we may need to start again in 2014 when his contract runs out and we get yet another coach, there should be no talk of contract extensions until after the season is finished next year!

True EEL

Bench

i'm certainly not suggesting SK be sacked. right or wrong, the aftermath of the DA sacking decison (and others from the recent past) surely means that SK should be given the benefit of seeing out his full 3-year term (unless perhaps things get diabolical next year lol).....but i DO NOT think the club should be looking to extend his contract right now

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
once he assembles his own squad and he has had a full season to get them to perform, then yes we can judge him from there then talk about any contract extensions

way too early right now imo

Kornstar

Coach
once he assembles his own squad and he has had a full season to get them to perform, then yes we can judge him from there then talk about any contract extensions

way too early right now imo

No coach will ever get their own squad, they will always inherit players. They then have to work with what they got and add and subtract when possible.

It could take him till 2015 to get his entire squad as Hayne is here till 2014 and he may not want him! Are we to wait that long?

A good coach should be able to work with the squad he inherits, he is a rookie, so he needs to learn.

Now the morons who I voted in have put him there, we need to stick with him but if he doesn't work out they all need to fall on their swords!

I hope he doesn't get second year syndrome........

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No coach will ever get their own squad, they will always inherit players. They then have to work with what they got and add and subtract when possible.

But not every coach inherits a side a million dollars under the cap.

Don't lose sight of this fact because it's very pertinent.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
more evidence (wther you were beuing slightly facetious or not) that you only judge people as valid or not on whether or not they agree with your general opinions lol....;-)

Why would I value the opinions of people who are not only wrong, but confident enough to be wrong in a public forum where they can't go back and deny what they said?

Kornstar

Coach
But not every coach inherits a side a million dollars under the cap.

Don't lose sight of this fact because it's very pertinent.

You say we are a million dollars under, do you have proof? No one really knows, I have no doubt we are under but I question a million.

spartan2153

Juniors
I agree that we can't sack a coach every year but he needs to improve dramatically next year or we may need to start again in 2014 when his contract runs out and we get yet another coach, there should be no talk of contract extensions until after the season is finished next year!
The board said they didn't plan on extending da's contract so there is no use having him coach his last year. Same criteria should apply next year if he fails to make the semis

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You say we are a million dollars under, do you have proof? No one really knows, I have no doubt we are under but I question a million.

If you're uncomfortable with a million, how about 'shitloads'?

We've lost Mateo, Inu, Grothe, Keating, Cayless and Tahu and replaced them with Paul Whatuira and friends.

How much do you think we're under the cap by?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The board said they didn't plan on extending da's contract so there is no use having him coach his last year. Same criteria should apply next year if he fails to make the semis

Fair enough.

Brian Smith stepped down rather than waste our time. Anderson should have done the same and so should Kearney if we're not going to keep him.

spartan2153

Juniors
Fair enough.

Brian Smith stepped down rather than waste our time. Anderson should have done the same and so should Kearney if we're not going to keep him.
Why would he step down when the board told him he would see out his contract as well
Him leading us to a grand final just 12 months before

Latest posts