What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kelly Clarkson announced as NRL Grand Final pre match entertainment

Eels Dude

Coach
Fair enough, not sure I would class her major but she has had success for a manufactured pop idol. Not my music taste so I had to google to find out what she had done. Agree she is a step up from some of the dross over the years but then it wouldn't take much.

Yeah I wasn't meaning to get personal... but it seems whatever the NRL do people find a reason to whinge.

Earlier this year they got Bon Jovi, who are one of the biggest and most popular bands in the world to market the NRL season. That was a terrific deal promotion wise... but people still whinge because they don't like the song or it's not their preferred music style.

People need to understand how small the NRL is compared to other professional sporting competitions around the world. They can't just waste tens of millions of dollars to fly out U2 out to play two songs as a match prelude.

Pyroz

Juniors
Why don't we have locals? Local game. Local support. Crowd won't boo as loudly.

Can't wait for the blackhawk thing they do every year as well :roll:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why the f**k do they do this?

I don't want the noise.

The game is the interest not some can't get a real job loser before hand.

Now when U2 start thier concerts with a game of footy, this will maybe make sense until then f**k the loser musicians off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Used to love the British army marching band at Wembley challenge cup finals, now there was entertainment!

The NRL should have fore saw Manly making the GF and booked Pearl Jam to play "animal". Would suit them down to the ground:
"one,two, three, four, five against one. Five,five, five against one"

Yeah I wasn't meaning to get personal... but it seems whatever the NRL do people find a reason to whinge.

Earlier this year they got Bon Jovi, who are one of the biggest and most popular bands in the world to market the NRL season. That was a terrific deal promotion wise... but people still whinge because they don't like the song or it's not their preferred music style.

People need to understand how small the NRL is compared to other professional sporting competitions around the world. They can't just waste tens of millions of dollars to fly out U2 out to play two songs as a match prelude.

This. If the NRL got Paul McCartney to perform, people would whinge because it's not John Lennon. If they got AC/DC to perform, people would whinge because Bon Scott isn't there. The pre-match entertainment is really a small part of the day and if you're expecting some massive international act, then you're kidding yourself.

That said, most of the acts people are suggesting on here are shit house.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Used to love the British army marching band at Wembley challenge cup finals, now there was entertainment!

That's what I want to see. A marching band. A television that explodes. A junior team relay.

You know what. Strike the footy. Let's just stage a North Korea style extravaganza.

Loudstrat

Coach
Now ya talking! Kim Jong Il in a Souffs jersey singing "I'm so ronery"

slide1.jpg

LOL shut up LoudTWAT...

LOL @ thinking this generation wants to hear some washed up 80's band. You gonna roll Maiden out in their wheelchairs?

Those bands would of been good pre match entertainment for the GF when your club last won a premiership, but it's not suitable in 2011.

I don't like Miss Clarkson, but I know my old buddy Godz Illa does, so he'll be happy.

I would of liked to of seen Nicole Scherzinger's fine ass...
You think everyone in the stands is from your generation? You lot got Daddy to get the tickets - and Daddy would definitely prefer Maiden!

Agreed. Gallop needs more Motorhead on his ipod.

I heard Gallop was into more sissy music. Def Leppard, Ratt etc. hence Bon Jovi "this is our house" rather than "Die With Your Boots On" for the NRL theme.

Being a storm fan I thought "Wasted Years", "Evil that men do" and "Can I play with madness" would be more appropriate. ;-)
:lol:

you do realise they broke up a couple of years ago. and the thing ismorello, timmy c and wilks arent the type to try and reform for a one off token event without it being super important. morello may be a big cubs fan but hes one of those rare people theres no amount of money you could throw t him, if he didnt want to do it he wouldnt do it, shame though. i still reckon van halen opening the day with panama would be awesome or pearl jam theyre touring soon right and they got that pj20 documentary coming out, playing given to fly would be an awesome song on gf day, instead we get kelly clarkson, no offence to her but her music isnt really rugby league type music. i suppose its ike 2005 when we had the veronicas and pete murray, maybe well get two bands playing. we could get pete murray his album just came out nad i know he played soo, but from a marketing point of view, more exposure more sales, and id much prefer a double dose of pete murray than having to listen to kelly clarkson on gf day

lol i realised this morning when i re-read my post. a shame though. there are tons of good bands who even if not hugely popular amongst the general population would go down better than kelly clarkson. the idea that Clarkson is hugely popular only exists because middle age women who can't work a computer and go out buying pop shite off the radio. Sales are such a pathetic indication of popularity

tbh though i don't believe for a second the general consensus that having a big name artist will do anything for viewership

just get Carlos Santana to do some cover songs, i hear he performs for acid and mushrooms

if the NRL want to do that just get some edgy and offensive artist, ratings galore. I hear M1 of Dead Prez just dropped Obama Nation 2 with Lowkey............. that'd give nrl global coverage :crazy:

Good decision by the NRL! Very female friendly and popular with young and old people. Geez rugby league fans love a good whinge!

thats because the grand final is supposed to be for RUGBY LEAGUE FANS. not the females and pensioners of Australia.

also it's not like its either or. the nrl could have got several artists to suit everyone. but instead they waste their money on some plastic yank