What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kite back to Canberra-Strongly rumored on 10 News!!!!!

greeneyed

First Grade
It did say on Sports Tonight that is is only "rumoured" that Kite will sign with us.... and there was another team in the mix.

mike83au

Juniors
Funny how these rumours start...

I heard the other day from some news source that the Storm were favourites to sign Kite....

Oh - i think it was Rebecca Wilson's column in the Sunday Telegraph :oops:

thickos

First Grade
The Warriors and Melbourne are I think the other teams after Kite. I agree that he could be handy, we will just have to wait and see however how the rest of the singing merry-go-round unfolds. But for mine, retention of the people off contract is key.

I agree with whoever rated Firman above Head - but I thought Firman is not off contract??

greeneyed

First Grade
From today's CT:

Raiders chasing Blues Origin star Plan to lure prodigal son Kite back home
Rugby league By Ewen Page/ Andrew Benson
Tuesday, 8 June 2004

Powerful St George Illawarra forward Brent Kite is considering an offer to return home and put a winning edge on the Canberra Raiders pack.

A former Queanbeyan Blues junior and Raider in 2001, Kite has been given permission to talk with rival clubs - and the Raiders and Manly Sea Eagles have both rushed to place bids.

The NSW Blues prop was locked up in Phil Gould's State of Origin camp in Sydney last night and wasn't available for comment.

But Raiders general manager Don Furner confirmed he made an offer for Kite last Friday, after the 23-year-old spoke with Raiders coach Matt Elliott.

A quality runner with pace, ball skills and size, Kite is exactly the forward the Raiders believe they need to get over the advantage line and create try-scoring opportunities.

"We've got a good, hard working pack, but there's times when you need that explosive runner who can break the defence near the line," Furner said.

"We need a big ball runner."

The 190cm, 105kg Kite fits that description and has come on strongly this season after switching from second row to front row with the Dragons.

For the Raiders, it's a case of buying back one of their own.

Last year they attempted to lure Kite back to the club where he made his NRL debut, after hearing he was chasing a change of scenery.

On that occasion, the Dragons declined to deal on the promising forward.

But this time around, with the salary cap tightening on a team laden with State of Origin players, the Dragons are prepared to entertain the thought of Kite and possibly hooker Mark Riddell leaving.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Dragons retain the right to make the final bid on both players. The club says it wants to retain both but the realities of the salary cap make that a remote possibility.

Furner admitted that the Raiders should not have lost the talented Kite in the first place. He left the club at the end of the 2001 season following a dispute over payment of medical costs associated with his broken leg.

"He left us under less than ideal circumstances under previous management," Furner said.

"We made it clear to him that we now have a different management structure here and that struck a chord with him."

Kite won't come cheaply, and it is believed the Raiders are offering significantly less cash than the rejuvenated Sea Eagles.

But both Furner and Elliott are banking on Kite's rumoured homesickness to seal the deal.

Kite's family - who make the trek to Sydney for many of his games - still live in Queanbeyan. His partner is thought to also have connections in the local area.

PLAYMAKER Mark McLinden admits the tendency to tighten up at the end of games is costing the Raiders dearly.

"We are making a habit of that after doing it a few weeks ago against Melbourne," McLinden said.

"It has got to the point now that when we are up eight points with 10 to go we almost expect the other team to come back and I think that is contributing to why it is happening.

"You try and look at the positives. You look at the game against Melbourne and again yesterday and you see seven-eighths of the game we dominated."

But it is the last eighth which counts in close games and that is where the Raiders are starting to struggle.

Languishing in 11th position on the ladder, the Raiders have taken a big drop from last year, when they finished the season in fourth. Dropping too many games from a winning position has cost them valuable competition points in 2004.

Mclinden believes the fitness of the team isn't an issue and the problem is more mental.

"The difference between us now and a year ago is when we were in that situation then we actually had the confidence to go on with it and weren't thinking negatively," he said.

"This year we are sort of concentrating on what the opposition are going to do and getting worried about being ahead. It is obvious to say that we can't go for 80 minutes and other teams can, but I don't think [fitness] is the issue.

"The thing with football is there are so many contributing factors it is never just one simple answer - if it was such a simple answer everyone would be playing well."

legend

Coach
With Drew almost certainly gone, the signing of Kite could be a masterstroke and the catalyst to keep Joel in the ACT as he wanted to see which quality players the Raiders sign before he commits to another deal.

Someone mentioned the idea of Macca at fullback and I like this idea. If we get a quality half, I think we can make a big run next year.

No Drew, Payten and Evans means we should be well under the cap and this is a positive sign IMO.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
If Brett Firman is available WE MUST SIGN HIM.

Make no mistake Head has done great for the Dragons but Firman is twice the player - and more to the point is the dominant playmaker we so desperately need, Head would only provide good organisational ability but Firman is the TOTAL PACKAGE.

THen again I thought he re-signed for 2 years before this season, but stranger things have happened...

Personally, if it came to a choice between Matt Orford and Brett Firman - I'd take Firman in a heartbeat - that's how good I think he is - and believe me I rate Orford very highly.

azza

Juniors
Personally I think Head has better organisational skills than Firman, but either would be better than our current halfback in Brad Drew.

Another thing - I couldn't possibly stand seeing McLinden at fullback anymore - if he goes there on a permanent basis, I'd expect to see him leave this club and go somewhere else. Positionally he isn't great at halfback and is better in the halves, more in the Preston Campbell mould of player - he is a great player but the problem is too much pressure is placed on him to organise the team and come up with try scoring plays which ruins the spontanaeity in his game.

Anonymous

Juniors
Someone mentioned the idea of Macca at fullback and I like this idea. If we get a quality half, I think we can make a big run next year.

That would be me :D

I remeber that game vs. The Warriors when Choc was suspended, when Marty was at fullback and he had a blinder. And everyone, lets face it, Choc is on the slippery slope out of here. I would like to see:

1-McLinden

6-Carney
7-Head/Firman/Orford/K.Gidley

However, Choc is a Canberra legend so Carney should be used off the bench untill Choc retires.

greeneyed said:
A quality runner with pace, ball skills and size, Kite is exactly the forward the Raiders believe they need to get over the advantage line and create try-scoring opportunities.

"We've got a good, hard working pack, but there's times when you need that explosive runner who can break the defence near the line," Furner said.

"We need a big ball runner."

You know, that's very true. We're having trouble penetrating the line, and most of our forwards just go straight forward, but Kite has a good step and a great offload. The more I think about it, the more I think his signing would be a great idea.

laurie

Juniors
Kite will b at canberra for almost 300000 a season !! way to much for him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need a half back !! we aint had a good 1 since sticky

legend

Coach
I doubt we offered him that much if the Eagles offered a significant amount more.

Now that Drew is out of the picture, we can concentrate on using his contract money wisely. I wonder how much Drew was on? I'd say at least 180k.

If the rumour of Dave Furner coming back is true, and with kenny back aswell, why would we bother signing forwards, especially with the guys we have waiting in the wings, and with backs line carney, campese, milne, png steve, graham, smith sitting in premier league, the only thing our backline really needs is someone to direct it, we already have the speed, the bulk in the line, we have a good make up there, a ball running five eighth in mclinden running off someone like orford or johns who would only be around for a few years (by which time carney would be old enough to step up) would be lethal.

I just hope to god they think of buying a halfback before they lash out on forwards, ive heard that firman is going to seek a release if they try and make him a hooker.

GreenGuy

Thats what im hoping--they have their priorities straight. i.e. WIKI, MONAS, GETTING RID OF DREW and GETTING A DECENT HALF. You can cross one of those off the list now i guess.

I want Kite, Wiki, Monoghan and Firman all in green next year. Tahu and Kennedy would also look pretty good. Remember we didnt dign neone last year so we should have some money!!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
I would place it in this level

Sign Wiki
Sign Monnas
Sign a half
Sign a cheap but valuable centre/winger for some depth
Sign a good young forward

Latest posts