What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladder Predictions for 2012

Which teams will make the playoffs in 2012?

• Manly

Votes: 128 72.3%
  • Warriors

Votes: 130 73.4%
  • Nth Qld

Votes: 105 59.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 96 54.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 128 72.3%
  • Canberra

Votes: 42 23.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 145 81.9%
  • Souths

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 93 52.5%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Penrith

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 55 31.1%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 121 68.4%
  • Cronulla

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Canterbury

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timka4

Bench
lol he is just struggling to cope and understand how much of a fail it was to sign shit merkin Sutton over Sandow. Another LOL@50uff$ moment.

Molly

Juniors
a lot of these top 8s look too much like this years top 8, that very rarely happens...

That is true....over the past four years at least 4 sides have dropped out each following year (5 in 2010) so on that basis potentially 4 will miss again next year?

One of the top two teams has missed the eight the following year for the past two years (Bulldogs in 10 and Panthers this year)

Over the past 5 years only the Sea Eagles have been in finals each year with the Dragons Warriors Broncos and Storm each 4 times.

Every side has been in the eight from 2007-2010.

So if you go by the last few years, you would back Manly to get there again and the Storm to miss. That leaves three others to miss from the remaining six.

Obviously it wont happen though.....!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interesting people knocking us down as low as 12th-13th because of injuries when injuries played a major part in our late-season 'fade' from 4th to 7th.
Rubbish.

You won games while missing Thurston then started losing when he returned.

Downhill again for the Cowboys IMO.

Shorty

Staff member
Interesting people knocking us down as low as 12th-13th because of injuries when injuries played a major part in our late-season 'fade' from 4th to 7th.
Should be used to it by now, we'll be there.
A lot of people didn't expect us to make the finals this year anyway.
Rubbish.

I would say that was because the dynamics changed, so I don't really think that's a valid argument.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
1st-4th
Warriors, Storm, Dragons, Tigers

5th-8th
Manly, Bulldogs, Knights, Roosters

9th-12th
Souths (duh), Broncos, Eels, Cowboys

13th-16th
Titans, Panthers, Raiders, Sharks

No discernable order but I feel they'll be the general groups.

Apey

Staff member
Can't see the Knights dropping any positions - we managed to finish 8th this year with an "average" squad and a fair share of injuries. Next year with Bennett and less nuffies I would expect us to be in the top 8 at the very least. I would guess 6th at this stage.

undertaker

Coach
I'm still not convinced about Newcastle.

I feel the tinkler Bennett thing could blow up

Realisitically, this season, we should've finished around 4th/5th had we been able to capitalise and close out those close games that we lost this year. The last two seasons under Stone have been a big case of "what if?". We have, to an extent, relapsed into the mentality we had during the Hagan years: blowing big leads (e.g. vs Bulldogs), playing brilliantly in the 1st half and then struggling to hold on in the 2nd, making stupid errors from playing fancy, razzle-dazzle football when percentage play/doing the fundamentals is what is required etc. Also, our defence has been haphazard during the Stone years, letting in some very soft tries. Under Smith, sure enough, we weren't going to win the premiership (although we will never know about 2009, as we were set for a top 4 finish before Smith announced his departure to the Roosters and the players' attitude really went to crap after that. I believe we were 2nd on the ladder halfway through that season). However, we were able to close out the close games, find a way to win after trailing for most of a match etc.

I am not expecting instant overnight success and hope that Sir Wayne is going to be the saviour of the Knights and will win us the premiership in his first year at the Knights (unlike some delusional 50uff$ fans who think they're going to win the comp every year, even after breaking a 7 game losing streak, acting like they have won the comp). However, I think over time, what Bennett will be able to instill in the players is some of the football we were playing during the Smith years. The QF vs Melbourne highlights everything I just said: we are more than capable of matching it with the big guns (even though we don't have any star players of the calibre of Johns/Fittler/Daley etc.), but stupid errors at critical moments in the game, cheaply turning over possession and having to do more defense as a result, low completion rates, impatience (i.e. Gidley grubbering early in the tackle count of the Storm's 20m line when not needed) pretty much sealed our fate. We became our own worst enemy. Even though the scoreline was a respectible 18-8 in the end, I knew we were going to lose once the Storm scored that first try after we butchered two chances in the first 13 minutes thanks to Neville Costigan. We more than matched them in the first 13 minutes, and had 2 golden opportunities before Costigan bombed the 2nd time and the Storm scored against the run of play, and it all went downhill from there.

Finally, I will say that I do expect Darius Boyd to have a big impact at the Knights. I was very impressed with his performance in the Broncos SF, played outstanding in a losing side. He is undoubtedly our best signing since Ben Kennedy back in 2000 (the Knights recruitment team is another group of ppl I have been very critical about, but that's a rant for another thread). With the exception of Uate, we have had a lack of speed and pace in the backline since the late 90s/early 2000s when O'Davis, Albert, MacDougall, Matt Gidley and Tahu were fit. I don't expect Tahu to have much of an impact and don't expect him to play much next year, given how injury-prone he was. I still cannot believe we signed him (not to mention the falling out between him and some of the other players like Gidley during Origin last year)

That's the end of my long rant. Time to go to bed. However, that was an honest assessment of what I think of my team's chances over the next few years.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
next year will be interesting especially for

Manly - Can they back it up
Parramatta - Interested to see how they go after a year under kearney and the presence of a proper 7
Titans - signings
Bulldogs - who will be the coach
Warriors - good signings but loss of their coach
Raiders - will they improve
Knights - Bennet
Dragons - Lack of bennet

i think these teams fans will be in for interesting years

undertaker

Coach
Can't see the Knights dropping any positions - we managed to finish 8th this year with an "average" squad and a fair share of injuries. Next year with Bennett and less nuffies I would expect us to be in the top 8 at the very least. I would guess 6th at this stage.

100% agree with the parts in bold. By less nuffies, I assume you're referring to blokes like Dan Tolar:lol:

As I already said in the previous post, Boyd will definitely have an impact. Snowden will have an impact if he can stay fit and healthy, as I'm aware that he has some neck problems. Tahu, 50-50, but I'm leaning more towards him being a dud. Buderus, I don't know how he has been playing in the ESL, but I assume he will take on a similar role to what Luke Priddis did at the Dragons during Bennett's reign. I don't expect him to be as good as he was before he left the Knights at the end of 2008 (remember, he will be 34 next year), but could have some utility value off the bench.

cleary89

Coach
Manly will have a year like saints had this year. Lots in the aus squad, a long pre season, lots in origin plus every team wanting to take on the premiers. Going to take its toll and they will slip down the ladder.

Tigers have lost moltzen, lui, gibbs, fifita off the top of my head and only signed blair who has 1 good game a year. Imo they over achieved this year and wont make the 8 next year.

Newcastle will all be looking to impress bennett. I imagine he runs the ship like coach carter. Back chat, you will run etc. He commands respect and will get it, so i can see them being the fittest they have been and will get some consistency in their game.

undertaker

Coach
next year will be interesting especially for

Manly - Can they back it up
Parramatta - Interested to see how they go after a year under kearney and the presence of a proper 7
Titans - signings
Bulldogs - who will be the coach
Warriors - good signings but loss of their coach
Raiders - will they improve
Knights - Bennet
Dragons - Lack of bennet

i think these teams fans will be in for interesting years

I will admit that I'm not a fan of the Eels. In fact, they're one of my most hated teams (I think this is attributed to my perception of the experiences I've had with the vast majority of Eels fans I've met at games, as well as the fair-weathered/closet Eels supporters who come out when the Eels make the GF). However, I will give credit where credit is due, and that is if there is one team I wouldn't like to face in the finals, it would be the Eels. Your mob are one of the few sides in the comp that has always had the ability of doing what you guys did in 2009 (the Tigers being another). I think that with a bit of momentum (especially in the 2nd half of the season) and luck (I think Eels lost 3 Golden Point games this year), if Kearney and the coaching staff can sort out the crap that happened this season, I predict that the Eels will go very close to winning the comp if they can even just scrape into the 8 and peak towards the end of the season like they did a couple of years ago. Sandow will have an impact if he can sort out his issues regarding poor defence, but as was shown in the 2nd half of last season, he does have the attacking flair and skills to help the Eels go a long way.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
The Storm have been very lucky that the big 3 (Cronk, Smith, Slater) haven't had any major injuries and have played nearly week-in, week-out. If they stay fit and healthy, they will DEFINITELY be a top 4 side for quite a while.

When two of them didn't play, they got hammered against the Roosters in Rd 26.
I'm not putting the doomsday curse on the Storm, but that performance was a cause for concern. This season, even after shedding all those players from last year, they were still able to hide behind the facade of having those three players for the whole year. I have a feeling that at least one of those three is bound to have a major injury soon, and the level of depth in their side will be tested for the first time in a long time.

Last edited:

Didgi

Rubbish.

:? It wasnt just his influence but while we're on him, JT's injury derailed his season and he returned missing his Dally M leading form. Then there Tariq's leg, Scott playing a large part of the back end of the season with a back injury severely limiting his effectiveness, not to mention the earlier season losses of two international centres for large lengths of time.

undertaker

Coach
I actually think LOL@50uff$ will make the 8 next year.

Warriors to miss out unfortunately.

I agree with the second statement. There's a high chance that the Warriors, like the Eels did in 2010 and the Roosters this year, will suffer from a bout of second-year syndrome, especially with a young, inexperienced squad.

However, disagree with the first. LOL@50uff$ with be a lot worse next year, and won't get anywhere near the top 8 without any halves. It will be the same old, same old: will win the Charity Shield, then Rusty et al. will come out saying "See, we're going to win the comp this year", before a lacklustre start to the season will bring even the most ardent 50uff$ supporter back to reality. I'm not saying that Sandow is one of the best halves in the NRL. However, all those 50uff$ supporters who were bagging him out and were happy to see his back after he signed with Parra will be in for a large dose of humble pie when the table shows that after Rd 26 next year, 50uff$ haven't only lost the Souff Sydney Premiership (aka 9th position), but are languishing down the bottom of the ladder. Even with their 16 legs, they still won't be able to climb the ladder.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
2011 is another year, and the likes of Bowen and Payne are going to feel it come the big games.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
1. Manly
2. Storm
3. Knights
4. Warriors
5. Souths
6. Tigers
7. Broncos
8. Cowboys

9. Eels
10. Dragons