What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladder Predictions for 2012

Which teams will make the playoffs in 2012?

• Manly

Votes: 128 72.3%
  • Warriors

Votes: 130 73.4%
  • Nth Qld

Votes: 105 59.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 96 54.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 128 72.3%
  • Canberra

Votes: 42 23.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 145 81.9%
  • Souths

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 93 52.5%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Penrith

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 55 31.1%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 121 68.4%
  • Cronulla

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Canterbury

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will probably get shot down for this, but this is what I think the Ladder will be in 2012:

1.Tigers
2.Manly
3.Storm
4.Cowboys

5. Knights
6. Warriors
7. Rabbitohs
8.Eels

9.Broncos
10.Dragons
11.Bulldogs(we have no coach, so the jury is out)
12. Panthers

13.Roosters
14. Raiders
15. Titans
16.Sharks

NAS

Juniors
Is it a Top 9 now?

I agree with people saying this year is incredibly hard to pick. Using my ladder as an example, I could easily put any team from 5th-16th in and have as much credibility.

I had them 8th, but I swapped them with the cowboys...my bad......that said, I wouldn't be willing to bet on any of my choices......It's a case of anyone on their day....

dogslife

Coach
Manly - Can't see them going back to back, but should still be there abouts. Losing Rodney, Robertson and Hoppa will hurt, and no signings from memory

Warriors - Shouldn't be too far off the mark next year aswell, especially as the young halves pairing gains more and more experience. Nathan Friend will really add something aswell

Broncos - A lot will depend on who partners Wallace in the halves. Don't really see Wallace being the go to guy that Brisbane need him to be on a full time basis, I tend to think the Broncs PF against Manly was a snapshot of the near future, will need to add a bit of experience with Wallace in the halves if they're to give it a red hot go

Storm - Nothing much will change to be honest, as long as the Big 3 stay fit and healthy you'd almost have to expect Melbourne to be a genuine contender again this year, especially as a lot of their young blokes have gained invaluable experience this year

Dragons - Hard to predict how hard losing Bennett will be on these blokes. Losing Boyd and Gasnier doesn't help either, but they have a few quality signings coming in, I expect them to be in the bottom half of the 8 at least come September

Tigers - Too tough to predict, they can either be brilliant, or hard to watch. Not sure what effect Adam Blair will have on the side, losing Gibbs, Fifita and Moltzen will be tougher on them than most fans think. Predicting another middle of the 8 finish again

Cowboys - Big improvers next year I think. The older brigade of Bowen, Payne, Johnson and Tate aren't done with yet I don't think, and they have some good quality younger blokes coming through like Sims and Taumalolo, definately in the 8 somewhere

Knights - Much like the Cowboys, should be big improvers. Some quality signings in Snowden, Buderus and Boyd, and dropped a lot of dead weight that needed to go, and of course no discounting the Bennett factor. Top 4 for sure

Dogs - Who would know, I've definately given up trying to predict how these blokes will go. A lot depends on who is coaching of course, dropped some dead weight, great signing in James Graham, but definately in need of a quality 6. Can't make a prediction until I know who the coach will be

Souffs - Will be lucky to make it to their rightful place of 9th or 10th next year. As big a crumb as he is, Sandow was about the only bright light for this mob last year, could do anything with a fit forward pack, but persisting with Sutton at 6 is asking for trouble, and no indication yet on who will partner him in the halves, could be a season to forget

Roosters - I thought they could back it up this year, dead wrong. Cannot make any sort of prediction for next year, depends who partners Pearce in the halves, don't really see Anasta as the bloke to step up, could linger around the 8, could run last, can't tell

Panthers - Losing a lot of experience, and their recruits wouldn't really fill you with any confidence, definately a rebuilding year for the mountain men, and could be a long year

Sharks - Losing Douglas and Snowden will hurt, their chances will depend on whether or not they sign Carney, Jeff Robson won't get the job done. Could make a crack at the 8 with Carney, without him, Sharks in for another long year

Parra - Should definately improve, good signings in Sandow, and the Tonga's, and considering half the retiring players being paraded at this year's GF were from Parramatta, things can only improve. Can see them making the 8

Raiders - If Campese and Dugan stay fit, things could start to happen in the capital, but with Furner at the helm, how can you be sure. Have enough talented players have a crack at the 8, but I think they might just miss it

Titans - Well the only way is up. They've definately shed the Dad's army tag I think with a lot of their older foundation players moving on. A lot will depend on who partners Prince in the halves, some good signings should see them making a charge for the 8 once again

blaza88z

Coach
I don't buy into the Souths "no halves" argument. 4 of the top 8 teams were running around with a rookie in the halves this year. The two Grand Final teams didn't have a half between them with more than two years NRL experience, meanwhile the bottom two had "premiership winning halves." It just proves that good coaching is more important than buying a name.

Souths will be in a big shake up this off season. A new half is not necessarily a bad thing after 4 years of missing the 8 with Sandow/Lang.

So with that I am going to put it into an example.

Would you say Brisbane would have finished 3rd this year without Lockyer?

boxhead

First Grade
Parra will not be in the top 4. Who have they signed to turn them into a top 4 team from 15th?

I don't agree with top four but top eight is certainly as big a possibility as any other side, our biggest issue for years bar the latter half of 2009 has been attack, the Tonga brothers, Sandow and Roberts should go a long way to improving that.

timka4

Bench
I don't agree with top four but top eight is certainly as big a possibility as any other side, our biggest issue for years bar the latter half of 2009 has been attack, the Tonga brothers, Sandow and Roberts should go a long way to improving that.
Agree, those players would have been big differences in those close games for parra this year.

I reckon they'll get from 6th-12th

firechild

First Grade
Manly - Can't see them going back to back, but should still be there abouts. Losing Rodney, Robertson and Hoppa will hurt, and no signings from memory

I think Robbo is probably the most significant of those 3 (though many would disagree) however, Manly have signed noone of great significance since the 2008 premiership so I wouldn't be too concerned. What Manly have shown in the time since they stopped buying stars (the last were around 2006-2007) that they (Des, Crusher and Toovey) have an incredible ability to turn kids into regular first graders. Buhrer will see far more game time next season and will step into Rodney's shoes. We have Farrar coming back and also Oldfield and Whare waiting to claim a regular first garde spot. The biggest movers will be Buhrer and Lussick who I think in the next season or 2 will show what they are capable of.

nko11

Juniors
1. Broncos
2. Warriors
3. Dragons
4. Melbourne
5. Bulldogs
6. Manly
7. Titans
8. Sharks
---
9. Cowboys
10. Newcastle
11. Raiders
12. Eels
13. Penrith
14. Roosters
15. Tigers
16. Souths

grouch

First Grade
6) Souths- Sandow this, Sandow that....People are missing the point with souths I think.
Yes - you. You are missing the point. You tipped Souths to win the comp in 2010 lol. You're like BunniesMan only worse - because you do it without irony

NAS

Juniors
Yes - you. You are missing the point. You tipped Souths to win the comp in 2010 lol. You're like BunniesMan only worse - because you do it without irony

No I didn't....I had them top 4 perhaps, but my memory was that I had the Tigers in 2010 to win the comp....but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story....dick head.

AuDragon

Juniors
1. Broncos
2. Warriors
3. Dragons
4. Melbourne
5. Bulldogs
6. Manly
7. Titans
8. Sharks
---
9. Cowboys
10. Newcastle
11. Raiders
12. Eels
13. Penrith
14. Roosters
15. Tigers
16. Souths
I'd like that, but I think it will take time to get a halves pair working well together. Still think we're a top 8 side, maybe top 4, but I expect us to be much better in the second half of the season than in the first.

Storm, Warriors, Manly, Cowboys, Raiders, Tigers, Newcastle and Broncos are my pick for the top 8, with Dragons, Dogs, Eels and Titans just behind.

Sharks, Panthers, Roosters and 50uff$ to vye for the wooden spoon...

P.S. Chances are this post will come back to haunt me and bite me in the arse... :sarcasm:

timka4

Bench
1. Storm (Great team, probably will get first again)
2. Manly (They lost Hoppa and Robertson, but they can be replaced
3. Tigers (Plenty of talent to still make the top 8 and make a bang in the finals)
4. Knights (Solid team around the park, with Bennett as coach)
5. Warriors (Will build on this year, but maybe to inconsistent to make the top 4)
6. Raiders (They should definitely improve next year, if injuries are kind to their big players they should go alright)
7. Broncos (Still a good team, but Lockyer missing will no doubt hurt their chances)
8. Cowboys (Thurston, Bowen, Sims, Scott and all their juniors)

9. Titans (Recruited well, but for them to make the 8 Idris, Champion, Prince need to fire and I'm not sure if all 3 will)
10. Eels (Recruited the players they needed, I'd put them higher but the teams in the top 8 in my eyes will still be too good for them)
11. Dragons (An alright year, nothing more imo)
12. Bulldogs (Barba is a talent and they have a good prop rotation, but their Hodgo sucked this year, for them to improve he needs to improve)
13. Souths (Hard to place, they will either go good, or just be their usual selves)
14. Roosters (Average season for them IMO, not shit tier, but definitely in the average tier)
15. Panthers (They still have Coote, Gordon, Grant, Lewis, Jennings but like the Sharks I just don't seem them beating the other teams)
16. Sharks (Not really a bad side, probably just the worst on paper, if Carney signs things could change)

Silent Knight

First Grade
1. LOL@50uff$ - seriously bra they've got John Sutton in the team, he won the best and fairest medal in 2009 for the club. Dunniesman told me they got this! And no I'm not talking about the charity shield, I'm talking Justin Beiber at the NRL Grand Final! Put your metho on it!

2. Chickadee Chooks - with the best coach in the competition who has demonstrated time and time again he's got genuine premiership winning credentials, I think the Chooks are going to be ruffling everyone elses feathers! Cockadoodlewoohoo!

3. Penruff - how fully sick is their halves combination? Travis Burns and Luke Walsh is the most potent halves combination in the NRL. Now they've let that useless old fart Petro go, they're gonna powwa up the ladder (over 9000 powwa).

4. NomorematteratParramatta - Chris Sandow is going to hone his shoulder charge skillz over the offseason and hit opposing teams harder than Paul Gallen come round 1. The only doubt I have about them is they released a number of first class NRL players at the end of last season. How are they going to cope without Carl Webb, Chris Hicks and Chris Walker come finals time next year? They may just have to pin their hopes on young prodigy Jordan Atkins.

5. Doggiez bra - When it comes time to defuse a bomb, fullbacks don't get much safer than Ben Barba. And the fact they have a ranga running some of the plays is just a billion different shades of awesomeness. As for that Steve Turner, what an absolute excitement machine. This guy is going to be the NRL's leading tryscorer for 2012. Absolutely travesty he wasn't selected in front of Akuila Uate for the Blues. Now I know why we lost our sixth series in a row. We didn't have Steve Turner out there!

6. Tits - with the recruitment of a couple of rock solid defensive centres and the awesome kicking and diving skillz of Scotty Prince, these guys are definitely going to feature come finals time. Fortress Skillz will become a feared place for visiting teams once again this year.

7. Raiduhs - They've got this real warm fuzzy family feeling down Canberra way (no I'm not talking about nepotism), and the mutual love and respect that players and fans alike have for David Furner will ensure they make the semis before Jarrod Choker misses the winning conversion against the Chickadee Chooks and people across the country start making choking gestures again. Also how reliable is that Blake Ferguson? Toss him a Kangaroo jumper!

8. Flatheads - Paul Gallen is going to partner Todd Carney in the halves (just because he can!) and with their astute recruitment of Mark "9ball" Taufua to replace the useless Luke Douglas, these guys are going to make a late charge towards the semis before they get dislodged by the LOL@50uff$ juggernaut.

9. Pussycats - Is it any wonder why they're trying to get Tim Moltzen back at the club? They made the wrong decision to retain Benji Marshall! Robbie Farah will spend the season either sooking about the refs or the fact he was overlooked for State of Origin again.

10. Worriers - Kevin Locke and Shaun Johnson will suffer severe second year syndrome and will enter the Daniel Mortimer Hall of Fame, never to return.

11. Womanly - Des Hasler will announce the week before round 1 he's leaving Manly to become the international ambassador for Pantene Hair Products. Brett Stewart will be too busy sulking all season about David Gallop not apologising to him that he will fail to recognise he's on a footy field and is meant to be helping his team play NRL!

12. Cowgirls - Matt Bowen will get injured in the first 5 minutes of round 1 and Jonathan Thurston will go into withdrawals because he has no one else to work off at the Cowboys. Unless they put Dallas Johnson at fullback, in which case they'll finish second.

13. Drongos - Gerard Beale will suffer from a season-long guilt trip because he was the reason Darren Lockyer was wiped out in the semi final last year. As a result he'll play like crap. Jack Reed will realise he's not like other rangas in the comp (see Dan Tolar) and will change his act. By playing crap. Peter Wallace, well he's just crap.

14. Light Rain - Cam Smith will retire during the offseason to pursue a lucrative career at All Trades Queensland. Billy Slater will slide in with the knees in the first game of the year and under the rules of the new Independent Commission he'll get suspended for the season. No plans Bellamy will continue with his grinding/wrestling/boring style of football despite the fact 2 of his big 3 are gone, and they'll get pulverised. Brown paper bags after the game won't help.

15. Dragqueens - no more Wayne Bennett. Plenty more choke.

16. Drugcastle - Wayne Bennett will lose his marbles during the offseason and will be put in a retirement home. Darius Boyd will throw a tanty about his daddy being gone and will return to Queensland to play for the Tits. LOL@50uff$ will belt Newcastle 60-0 and there will be LOL@Knoughts banners all over a packed out ANZ Stadium for the last round of the season.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
1. LOL@50uff$ - seriously bra they've got John Sutton in the team, he won the best and fairest medal in 2009 for the club. Dunniesman told me they got this! And no I'm not talking about the charity shield, I'm talking Justin Beiber at the NRL Grand Final! Put your metho on it!

2. Chickadee Chooks - with the best coach in the competition who has demonstrated time and time again he's got genuine premiership winning credentials, I think the Chooks are going to be ruffling everyone elses feathers! Cockadoodlewoohoo!

3. Penruff - how fully sick is their halves combination? Travis Burns and Luke Walsh is the most potent halves combination in the NRL. Now they've let that useless old fart Petro go, they're gonna powwa up the ladder (over 9000 powwa).

4. NomorematteratParramatta - Chris Sandow is going to hone his shoulder charge skillz over the offseason and hit opposing teams harder than Paul Gallen come round 1. The only doubt I have about them is they released a number of first class NRL players at the end of last season. How are they going to cope without Carl Webb, Chris Hicks and Chris Walker come finals time next year? They may just have to pin their hopes on young prodigy Jordan Atkins.

5. Doggiez bra - When it comes time to defuse a bomb, fullbacks don't get much safer than Ben Barba. And the fact they have a ranga running some of the plays is just a billion different shades of awesomeness. As for that Steve Turner, what an absolute excitement machine. This guy is going to be the NRL's leading tryscorer for 2012. Absolutely travesty he wasn't selected in front of Akuila Uate for the Blues. Now I know why we lost our sixth series in a row. We didn't have Steve Turner out there!

6. Tits - with the recruitment of a couple of rock solid defensive centres and the awesome kicking and diving skillz of Scotty Prince, these guys are definitely going to feature come finals time. Fortress Skillz will become a feared place for visiting teams once again this year.

7. Raiduhs - They've got this real warm fuzzy family feeling down Canberra way (no I'm not talking about nepotism), and the mutual love and respect that players and fans alike have for David Furner will ensure they make the semis before Jarrod Choker misses the winning conversion against the Chickadee Chooks and people across the country start making choking gestures again. Also how reliable is that Blake Ferguson? Toss him a Kangaroo jumper!

8. Flatheads - Paul Gallen is going to partner Todd Carney in the halves (just because he can!) and with their astute recruitment of Mark "9ball" Taufua to replace the useless Luke Douglas, these guys are going to make a late charge towards the semis before they get dislodged by the LOL@50uff$ juggernaut.

9. Pussycats - Is it any wonder why they're trying to get Tim Moltzen back at the club? They made the wrong decision to retain Benji Marshall! Robbie Farah will spend the season either sooking about the refs or the fact he was overlooked for State of Origin again.

10. Worriers - Kevin Locke and Shaun Johnson will suffer severe second year syndrome and will enter the Daniel Mortimer Hall of Fame, never to return.

11. Womanly - Des Hasler will announce the week before round 1 he's leaving Manly to become the international ambassador for Pantene Hair Products. Brett Stewart will be too busy sulking all season about David Gallop not apologising to him that he will fail to recognise he's on a footy field and is meant to be helping his team play NRL!

12. Cowgirls - Matt Bowen will get injured in the first 5 minutes of round 1 and Jonathan Thurston will go into withdrawals because he has no one else to work off at the Cowboys. Unless they put Dallas Johnson at fullback, in which case they'll finish second.

13. Drongos - Gerard Beale will suffer from a season-long guilt trip because he was the reason Darren Lockyer was wiped out in the semi final last year. As a result he'll play like crap. Jack Reed will realise he's not like other rangas in the comp (see Dan Tolar) and will change his act. By playing crap. Peter Wallace, well he's just crap.

14. Light Rain - Cam Smith will retire during the offseason to pursue a lucrative career at All Trades Queensland. Billy Slater will slide in with the knees in the first game of the year and under the rules of the new Independent Commission he'll get suspended for the season. No plans Bellamy will continue with his grinding/wrestling/boring style of football despite the fact 2 of his big 3 are gone, and they'll get pulverised. Brown paper bags after the game won't help.

16. Drugcastle - Wayne Bennett will lose his marbles during the offseason and will be put in a retirement home. Darius Boyd will throw a tanty about his daddy being gone and will return to Queensland to play for the Tits. LOL@50uff$ will belt Newcastle 60-0 and there will be LOL@Knoughts banners all over a packed out ANZ Stadium for the last round of the season.

:lol: Comprehensive! You got this!

Raiderdave

First Grade
there isn't a team that is incapable of making of the finals in 2012 in my opinion
they are all a chance ... all 16

that is why the NRL is the best domestic sporting comp in the land
making predictions about who'll finish where for the NRL is impossible

thats why I won't bother

Manly will not win the 2012 premiership however
a back to back title has not taken place since 1997/1998 & Manly won't break this 13 year old stat next year.

that is all I'm certain of though.

M2D2

Bench
Sharks wont make the 8 if they dont get Carney, which they wont.
I dont think we will come last tho.
Too many teams find it hard to win at shark park and we have the token MI FA MI streak during the season.

PaddyBoy

Juniors

This should be an article. Pure gold.

Spot On

Coach

Good luck with that bloke. Obviously it's all over for him if he doesn't find some sort of form. Maybe having Sandow inside will "make him" however I fear for Parra if Sandow goes down for an extended period and he's your playmaker/organiser.