What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last night Wallaby loss shows why Union the inferior game

t-ba

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:
How many Clive Churchill medals did Hindy end up winning?

We need to do some more work on the Freezing process. We're still addling the subjects brains I'm afraid.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
International league at present is weak. It was stronger in the past with Enland, Australia, Wales, NZ and France being all about equal and producing some cracking contests and the world's first and original rugby world cup in 56 I believe. Then things went wrong for one reason or another, France domestically dropped off along with Wales whilst at the same time Australia more or less remained constant or got stronger. Only now is this trend starting to be reversed - slowly but surely.

I admit union has a stronger international scene, but in reality not too much stronger than league's. It relies heavily on media and a minipulation of this weapon to bolster it's international image, and always mysteriously seems to have the right people in the right places at the right time Example - Bernard LAPORTE - former XV player, businessman, french team trainer and soon to be State Secretary of the Youth and Sports. Seriously, how can french XIII compete with this? Talk about a conflict of interests. Think about what would happen if Phil Gould was the Australian minister of sports. Mr Laporte has strong business interests in publicity and sports equipment. He is also currently under investigation for tax fraud (I believe) and has suspect links with a well known violent crimes family, the Fargettes (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Laporte). Mr Laport will ensure that every door that needs to be opened for rugby union's development in France is rapidly opened whilst at the same time any door that is knocked upon by rugby league is deadlocked and migwelded shut. Ever since just before the second world war league in France has been up against this sort of stuff and people on here wonder why they aren't more competitive.

It is quite obvious that union in Australia is struggling, just as league during and after the SL war. But towards the end of the NRL 2007 season there were mumblings that union in NZ was struggling, were their not? If this decline is contagious, the pacific islands, who surely rely heavily on the strength of union in NZ and Australian, may well also drop off and international union may start to wither.

I'm looking foward to the (original and the best) league WC, even if it is not as widely mediacised as its counterpart. It will give us the best indication of where league stands on the international level. As a long as all the blokes get in and have an honest dig it should be a great spectacle.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Pete - emphasis on teh word "competetive". International netball is more competetive than League.

JM's saying it's BETTER. Get it right.

Case in point. Wallabies lost to a side with fat, slow old Andy Farrell in the CENTRES!!!!!!!

Therefore, Carl Webb could be a centre in of the best international Yawnion sides. :lol:

bobmar28

Bench
Butters said:
So in order to make up a tournament of 10 international teams they're going to select players from 2nd and 3rd rate comps from Australia and England to represent a country that their only link to is more than likely there grandparents? Yep Rugby League is a juggernaught when it comes to the international level.
Union is no juggernaught either. OK it is international but that's all it is, take a look at the ARC.

Johns Magic said:
They had to win a few more than two games to win the World Cup here in 2003.

absolute semantics.

you know fulll well i was talking about games against Australia.

The Australian and English sides were full strength. Wilkinson was even playing.

The Springboks were missing about 5 players.

Rubbish.

for one , the wallabies first choice halfback and former captain George Gregan didnt tour.

their best forward got injured in the first game ( dan vickerman)

Mat Rogers played 2 games at No 10.:lol:

Tai Mcissac played 2 games at hooker.

Phil Waugh and george smith spilt the 4 games.

Lote played 2 games in the centres.

Mat Gituea played all the games at halfaback.:lol:

Sorry , but you have no idea what your talking about!

And that's a reflection of how much more competitive international union is becoming.

so let me get this straight. One team outside of the top 5 countries finally makes the semi finals and this is a reflection of how all of union is becoming more competitive?:lol:

ive never heard so much tripe.

In order for a pattern to start developing you need more than one instance to start proving your point.

was referring more to the lesser nations upsetting fringe top 5 nations like Wales.

Its hardly an upset when teams of similar standards beat each other.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Hate to repeat, but Union competetive? Farrell in the centres?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's funnier than Charlie Saab yelling "Queenslander" each morning on the train at Marrikcville!!!!!

Union's biggest problem is that the product it needs to become already exists. It's hit the skids in Australia and it's only a matter of time now until that starts to permeate through to other countries that play Union if they aren't able to turn it around here. And the signs are that they won't.

Union is a pissant on the world sporting stage, Rugby League is just a smaller pissant. The difference is that Rugby League doesn't feel the need to lie to feel better about its lack of size on the world stage, Union does.

3rd biggest sporting event, 3 billion viewers my arse....

mave

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Pete - emphasis on teh word "competetive". International netball is more competetive than League.

JM's saying it's BETTER. Get it right.

Case in point. Wallabies lost to a side with fat, slow old Andy Farrell in the CENTRES!!!!!!!

Therefore, Carl Webb could be a centre in of the best international Yawnion sides. :lol:

????? Huh????

Danish

Referee
I have been hearing this "how can a team that scores a try be beaten by a team that only scores penalty goals? Union is sh*t" argument all weekend.....

But did any of them actually stop and think that had the same thing happened in league, the match could only have ended in a draw OR with England winning?? All it would take is a missed conversion.

Danish said:
I have been hearing this "how can a team that scores a try be beaten by a team that only scores penalty goals? Union is sh*t" argument all weekend.....

But did any of them actually stop and think that had the same thing happened in league, the match could only have ended in a draw OR with England winning?? All it would take is a missed conversion.

It wouldn't have happened in League.

When was the last time a team won an NRL/Origin/Rugby League International match having kicked only penalty/field goals and the other team scored tries?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Mave, I forgot where i saw him listed in the centres, but it was somthing about him passing a fitness test *snigger*

Anyway, I dud this up for you, courtesy the SMH's World Cup page.

England squad, 2007

Forwards (16): Steve Borthwick, George Chuter, Martin Corry, Lawrence Dallaglio, Nick Easter, Perry Freshwater, Ben Kay, Lee Mears, Lewis Moody, Tom Rees, Mark Regan, Simon Shaw, Andrew Sheridan, Matt Stevens, Phil Vickery, Joe Worsley

Backs (14): Olly Barkley, Mike Catt, Mark Cueto, Andy Farrell, Andy Gomarsall, Dan Hipkiss, Josh Lewsey, Jamie Noon, Shaun Perry, Peter Richards, Jason Robinson, Paul Sackey, Mathew Tait, Jonny Wilkinson

mave

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Mave, I forgot where i saw him listed in the centres, but it was somthing about him passing a fitness test *snigger*

Anyway, I dud this up for you, courtesy the SMH's World Cup page.

England squad, 2007

Forwards (16): Steve Borthwick, George Chuter, Martin Corry, Lawrence Dallaglio, Nick Easter, Perry Freshwater, Ben Kay, Lee Mears, Lewis Moody, Tom Rees, Mark Regan, Simon Shaw, Andrew Sheridan, Matt Stevens, Phil Vickery, Joe Worsley

Backs (14): Olly Barkley, Mike Catt, Mark Cueto, Andy Farrell, Andy Gomarsall, Dan Hipkiss, Josh Lewsey, Jamie Noon, Shaun Perry, Peter Richards, Jason Robinson, Paul Sackey, Mathew Tait, Jonny Wilkinson

Shane Webke should come out of retirement if thats the case.

Coaster

Bench
Fitzy would make an awesome union player, becuase what we call a flop they call a maul.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
curious said:
Fitzy would make an awesome union player, becuase what we call a flop they call a maul.

Look, I'm all for dumping on union, but if you don't have any brains, let the big boys do it ok?

A maul is when they are all upright and moving slowly towards to opposition goal line.

A ruck is when they fall down.

Just watch.

Coaster

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
Look, I'm all for dumping on union, but if you don't have any brains, let the big boys do it ok?

A maul is when they are all upright and moving slowly towards to opposition goal line.

A ruck is when they fall down.

Just watch.

You could insult me as much as you want, but i wont watch that crap.

Leave it to you big boy LOL