What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Likiliki

roopy

Referee
As i've said a few times, There was a game last year where he tore us apart. He was the whole package with the ball in hand - fast, strong and great footwork. Didn't see much passing from him, but he didn't need to, he did it all himself.

perverse

Referee
what is his build like? 183cm and 93kg sounds a fair bit taller and rangier compared to Sau.

where does the comparison to Sau come from anyway? i've honestly never seen the bloke play, or never noticed him... but have heard him compared to Sau several times. is it just a myth that has circulated around the forum?

Johns Magic

Referee
Time to bump this thread, been thinking about one thing in particular:

If polys were so bad when it comes to real football skills, how did NZ win the World Cup in 2008?

Do you want to post New Zealand's win-loss record against Australia over the last...forever?

While some may have suggested we have bought another Junior Sau, he seems to hold his own when it comes to setting up other players (most often his winger you'd presume of course) when compared to his peers.

Serc, you can throw those try-assists stats in the bin where they belong. Try-assist stats for centres are generally garbage unless they are unusually high which shows a consistency in being able to do them like someone like Matt Gidley had.

Go have a look at Sau's try-assists stats in terms of the rest of the NRL this year and I think you'll be surprised. Just because he can dribble a ball out the back when he's getting tackled or happens to be part of a massive overlap once every few games doesn't make him good at setting up his outside man FFS.

On try-assists stats we should be rushing Ben Pomeroy to the club, and the bloke can barely catch.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
what is his build like? 183cm and 93kg sounds a fair bit taller and rangier compared to Sau.

where does the comparison to Sau come from anyway? i've honestly never seen the bloke play, or never noticed him... but have heard him compared to Sau several times. is it just a myth that has circulated around the forum?
His rampaging runs are very Sau like, but i'd say he has more footwork and toe than Sau. Can't say if he has a passing game.
If you took it just on the game he played against us a few weeks ago you would say he has nothing, because Harmony Hunt had him well covered all game, and even 17 year old Chanel Mata'utia seemed to out muscle him a few times.

Serc

First Grade
Do you want to post New Zealand's win-loss record against Australia over the last...forever?

The point was that some of them can actually play football and help NZ give the almighty Aussie lineup a good run for their money from time to time.

Serc, you can throw those try-assists stats in the bin where they belong. Try-assist stats for centres are generally garbage unless they are unusually high which shows a consistency in being able to do them like someone like Matt Gidley had.

Go have a look at Sau's try-assists stats in terms of the rest of the NRL this year and I think you'll be surprised. Just because he can dribble a ball out the back when he's getting tackled or happens to be part of a massive overlap once every few games doesn't make him good at setting up his outside man FFS.

On try-assists stats we should be rushing Ben Pomeroy to the club, and the bloke can barely catch.

Calm down, I was looking through that column like all the others I typed up - and threw them in as well. Was adding some information to the discussion, not suggesting it was critical info like it would be for someone playing in the halves.

And I just took a look at Sau this year and I see what you mean - I wasn't focussing on it heavily before and I certainly am not now! Just as an aside, Mad Dog was right at the top for both try and line break assists across the NRL last year, with Sau towards the bottom.

aqua_duck

Coach
Apparently Likiliki was looking abit flat and out of form for a while but has turned it up last few weeks (might be in a better space now his future is settled) and has been nothing short of devastating.

Serc

First Grade
Some Likiliki stats from this year:

Enjoys playing the Panthers NYC...here's round 6 and round 18:

18 runs for 220m, 2 tries, 4 line breaks, 1 line break assist, 1 try assist and 17 tackle breaks.

17 runs for 163m, 2 tries, 2 line breaks, 9 tackle breaks

vs Manly round 25, 13 runs for 146m, 1 try, 1 line breaks, 2 line break assists, 2 try assists, 8 tackle breaks

I watched parts of their game vs Eels in round 26, and he played very well, including a nice tip on to his winger (like Wes to Taia vs Storm last week) - 16 runs for 168m, 1 try, 1 line break assist, 1 try assist, 5 tackle breaks.

Also, for those of you with Foxtel, he will be playing against Manly at 1:30-3:30pm on Sunday (1 vs 8 game).

mrpwnd

Bench
Geez, Polynesian blokes have the best surnames EVER.
Likiliki, Fa alongo, Manakaufo, Fuifui Moimoi, Seu Seu.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Yeah, he's not really built like Sau at all....although I must say, he looks bigger than 93kg (you can't always trust those stats). He looks closer to 100kg. He has a very muscular build and is not short, more like Uate than Sau.

roopy

Referee
Likiliki was very like Sau in the first few games I saw him play last year in that he didn't look to pass and would rather run over the top of the opposition than around them.
I keep reading he is developing more footwork and a passing game - but the two games i've seen this year i didn't see it.
It does sound like he is already very strong and fast, and is developing more and more as a player. We will have to see.

Serc

First Grade
Not his favourite game to remember today...in the first half he got bounced off in what I think was a poor attempt at tackle which led to a big line break, then soon after was lazy and stood too deep at marker on the tryline (all the dummy half did was fall over practically), then dropped the ball when playing it after a good early run in a set during the 2nd half...and then got a bit of a lifting/spear tackle to cap things off near the end (he was fine).

Serc

First Grade
For those of you with Fox, today's Warriors game will be televised on Ch 503, game starting at 5:15pm. I'm going to the game as well, mainly to watch the Titans and Roosters, but will make sure I go early enough to see how he looks from the stands :)

Serc

First Grade
Don't forget if you're looking to do something in the hours before the GF...Likiliki will be playing in the NYC GF at 2pm (1pm slow QLD time) live in all its HD glory on GEM! (or just Ch 9)

Serc

First Grade
Hmm...so it is...not listed on the TV guide though! So yes I would assume so too :)

Latest posts