What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Litte Sarah's Letter to the Knights

gong_eagle

First Grade
0,,5622073,00.jpg

By Josh Massoud
August 23, 2007http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22291264-5006066,00.html
MEET Sarah Matterson, the little girl who captures the disillusionment of Newcastle - Australia's crumbling rugby league stronghold.
After watching Penrith flog her beloved Knights 46-12 on Sunday, the nine-year-old decided to speak up on behalf of Newcastle fans young and old.
With a purple texta, she penned a hand-written plea to club management for the sacking of coach Brian Smith.
"Why has he wreked (sic) our team?" Sarah wrote.
"I reckon you should SACK him because you need to start winning."
Her simple sentiments were widely echoed when The Daily Telegraph visited Newcastle yesterday to gauge the city's reaction to Smith's first year as Knights coach and the controversial non-selection of Kirk Reynoldson.
But Sarah does not live among the other pained supporters. Instead, she was compelled to speak up from Albion Park on the South Coast - almost 400km away from Energy Australia Stadium.
The Year Three pupil watched Sunday's thrashing on television and, without being prompted by her Knights-mad mother Fiona, put pen to paper immediately after the coverage ended.
Ms Matterson posted the letter yesterday and is expecting a response from Newcastle CEO Steve Burraston when he receives it this morning.
"Sarah said, 'Mummy I think I'm going to write a letter to tell them they should do something'," Ms Matterson told The Daily Telegraph.
"I said, 'Okay, if you think that will help then go right ahead and I'll post it for you'.
"She even went onto the Internet to get the Knights' postal address from their website."
Asked why she decided to write the letter Sarah said: "When the game finished I looked at the score.
"They were really high and we were really low.
"That's when I decided to write it."
Sarah said she could hardly bear to watch her team lurch to its seventh straight loss at the hands of the wooden-spoon favourites.
"It hurt my eyes," she added.
"We need to start winning a bit. I want to get people thinking they should sack Brian Smith.
"We need someone who is good at coaching - maybe like the Storm's coach."
Although she lives in the shadows of the state's other steel city - Wollongong - Sarah supports Newcastle because her mum is a Knights member.
Ms Matterson said it was "out of character" for her daughter to write letters.
"She's never done it before," Ms Matterson said.
"She will normally just blow up and then calm down. This time she felt strongly enough and hoped that by doing this she might be able to stop them losing."

Ice777

Bench
Well done Sarah you put it much better than anyone else has. Even a 9 year old has more of a clue on how to run the club than the nuffies that currently are :lol:

Inferno

Coach
Sarah said she could hardly bear to watch her team lurch to its seventh straight loss at the hands of the wooden-spoon favourites.
"It hurt my eyes," she added.

:lol:

gong_eagle

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
What a story, riveting stuff...

I might dummy up a kiddie's letter to doust & Brown.

if it works why not, but make it from a 6 year old they may understand then :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
How pathetic, but standard for the Tele.
Front page has poor wittle souths fans not being able to go to the game, and inside the back pages we have "Josh's people".
My heart bleeds.

innsaneink

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Front page has poor wittle souths fans not being able to go to the game, and inside the back pages we have "Josh's people".
My heart bleeds.

Yeh typical.....didnt take em long to find Souths fans that cant go despite there still being a handfull of tickets left this morning, if they REALLY wanted to go theyd have got tix 18 days ago when they first went on sale, if they REALLY wanted to go theyd be sitting outside WTs concord offices right now, or if they REALLY wanted to go, and IF they went to the MANLY game last Monday, they coulda got tix there.....but thats right, only about 10ksouths fans showed. :roll:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mr Saab said:
My heart bleeds.

Agreed, although I think as far as pathetic goes they've set a new standard. What a load that article is. Ms Matterson posted the letter and expects a response. :lol:

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
From an outsider looking in, i actually support BS's actions at the Knights, and if they do well next year... would Sarah send a 'thank you' or a 'sorry' letter?

TooheysNew

Coach
Well done Sarah you put it much better than anyone else has. Even a 9 year old has more of a clue on how to run the club than the nuffies that currently are

Dumb arse.

Blaze

Juniors
I agree with MG about this whole issue. Who cares?

Who else is sick of hearing about the Knights?

Ice777

Bench
Dilmah said:

Dumb arse.

Ouch! Now that was scathing. That'll teach me to comment in future on the gross ineptness of the Newcastle board. I don't think i could handle another such cutting retort........

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Blaze said:
I agree with MG about this whole issue. Who cares?

Who else is sick of hearing about the Knights?
With all the crap the telegraph are carrying on about, even from a Knights fans perspective its getting f**king boring. Its making us sound like Souths - front page and back page EVERY day.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Ice777 said:
Ouch! Now that was scathing. That'll teach me to comment in future on the gross ineptness of the Newcastle board. I don't think i could handle another such cutting retort........
Please don't tell me you actually agree with what the Telecrap are doing here - using a 9 year old to push their own pathetic agenda

Mr Saab

Referee
This story rivals Dean Ritchies hard hitting interview with Jamie Lyons granny when she said Jamie didnt like to wear ties at the school he was attending....paid for by Parra mind you.

Blaze

Juniors
Jobdog said:
With all the crap the telegraph are carrying on about, even from a Knights fans perspective its getting f**king boring. Its making us sound like Souths - front page and back page EVERY day.

Exactly... all it does is hurt the image of your club.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Most clubs go through ups and downs. From a neutral's perspective the Knights definetaly needed a cleanout imo. Move on.

Latest posts