What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Kelly & Sandow

Parra Pride

Referee
I love it when a (five year) plan comes together

I can't think of a Face, or Murdock quote so I'm just posting this picture.

DeadlyManeuvers.jpg

#OldSchoolA-Team>NewA-Team

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Media are reporting he's a Sandow replacement where as I thought he was a Roberts replacement.

Gronk

Staff member
Last night is prolly the first time and only time you seen play. Gotta love people who are instant experts like that.

Exactly. He's been playing in QLD cup for 2 years.

#trollfail

gustarny

Juniors
Firstly it was pissing down all game secondly he was not second choice behind Cronk so id say would not have trained as no 1 playmaker.The thing i did notice was Melbourne did improve once he took control and his D was great so we could be on a winner .

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Copy from another Luke Kelly post.....

I feel that Kelly is going to be a much better player than Maloney & Roberts. I saw a lot of composure in this kid. Coming off the bench in the wet under a lot of pressure he did really well considering his lack of NRL experience. He's tough, can kick well and is evasive and a bloody good playmaker. Have watched him play a few games in the 20's. Expect him to be the stability and direction Sandow needs. Don't be surprised Hayne will rocket to greater heights of Kelly's game. Am very excited for this young bloke. To me he is a very good buy, possibly one of our best buys for the last 5 years.

gustarny

Juniors
Copy from another Luke Kelly post.....

I feel that Kelly is going to be a much better player than Maloney & Roberts. I saw a lot of composure in this kid. Coming off the bench in the wet under a lot of pressure he did really well considering his lack of NRL experience. He's tough, can kick well and is evasive and a bloody good playmaker. Have watched him play a few games in the 20's. Expect him to be the stability and direction Sandow needs. Don't be surprised Hayne will rocket to greater heights of Kelly's game. Am very excited for this young bloke. To me he is a very good buy, possibly one of our best buys for the last 5 years.
Well said I agree 100%

Let's see what he can do. No doubt Some dopes on here will judge him
After one game but you got to give them time to settle in.

True EEL

Bench
Media are reporting he's a Sandow replacement where as I thought he was a Roberts replacement.

Totally. Roberts better watch his back now. Kelly will most likely start his NRL time with Parra as a #14-type utility, but will almost certainly show enough to take the 5/8 spot from Roberts. Roberts may well better serve the team ultimately by filling that #14 spot, as he can be a genuine utility and play several different positions. Either that or serve the team better by playing for Wenty....his 3+ passes to no one, 2+ stupid penalties per game and arm-grabbing defence just isn't going to cut it as one of our key playmakers anymore.

True EEL

Bench
Looks like I'm 12 months ahead of SK and Nolan :)

Nice call mate ;-) Love your work....

I was pleased to hear the whispers recently that we may be chasing Kelly, but was of course thinking that we would most likely miss out on him, but, we got him! I genuinely remember this kid from a couple of years ago - he was the Storm's Toyota Cup Captain and the dude can play. He was a standout at that level, with a good range of skills. What impressde me the most about him though was he seemed to be playing at a level above most of his teammates and opposition - that's always a good sign. At the time, I didn't think there was any chance he would leave the Storm, but injuries have been cruel to him since then and things change.

I'm really pleasantly surprised that we made this move....kudos to Parra, SK and Nolan....oh and again to Mr T ;-)

True EEL

Bench
Funny this thread should be resurrected.

I was thinking earlier that I thought Sandow might be moved to the left, with Kelly going into the middle at halfback. Of course, Sandow would keep the 7 jersey - imagine the media frenzy if he was given jersey number 6? :shock:

But Sandow played five-eighth against the Raiders. One benefit was that he got to defend on the easier left side. That said, the return of Ben Smith should solve the where-to-hide-Sandow conundrum.

of course you were thinking this oh great, grand Poo-bah...!?!? even before we had officially signed him of course - but then again, you would have known we were going to sign him, right?! :roll:

Assuming either Roberts or Kelly get the 14 jersey, the other benefit I see is greater minutes for our back row rotation. Smith, hindy, Ryan and Reni are all 80 minute players so they don't need much of a rest.

Kornstar

Coach
Let's see what he can do. No doubt Some dopes on here will judge him
After one game but you got to give them time to settle in.

Coming off the bench and easing him into the new team is the way to go imo.

Not sure how much impact he can have this year, and he needs to be given the rest of the year.......if he has more moments like the last play last night, then you can understand if people are frustrated. However if he is solid and improving, without being spectacular, then he needs no criticism!

He is not being bought to give us the big plays, we have Hayne and Sandow for that. He is here to compliment those 2 players, all we need from him is to be solid and do the job similar to what Morris did for Tim Smith!

Latest posts