What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M Witt to be Released

Stagger eel

Staff member
Young Michael has started a bit of a faction amongst us, I'm in the "catogary who doesn't give a shit" what he does, because he basically won't figure in the first 17 next season.

what's the point in keeping a bloke who hasn't wanted to be there all season??..as far as I'm concern if Young Witt does go he can hop in the "don't waste our time we have better players to develop" basket.

just my opinion.

Utey

Coach
I was referring to Willian Hung. We are all allowed to voice our opinions without being told its wrong or told your an idiot for saying that.

fish

Juniors
Reading the last 7 pages the majority of fans don't seem to rate Witt and neither does the coach given his lack of a run (till late in the season) at the #7.Before any of the rumours of him leaving I thought he was a class player just from watching him in 2003 and was suprised when he wasn't handed the 7 jersey come 2004.
Since you guys don't rate him he should be no great loss and would stoked if he came to the Northern Beaches.I think under a different setup he would thrive and would love to see him partnering Monnas in the halves.

The Problem with Witt is that he didn't step up and take on a roll of leading the team around the park. That is what a good Half back should be doing. He didn't do it in Premier League, and when he didn't every said he is disappointed to not be in firsts, but when he went to firsts, he didn't do it. Why???

Also the word around the camp fire is that after Mad Monday, Young Mr Witt was not contactable, and didn't turn up for any training runs with the Premier League side until the morning of the game. So he went missing for 4 days.

In my opinion unless he was abducted by Aliens, he should have been contactable or been at training on the Wednesday at least.

True EEL

Bench
well thanks UTE,

i thought you were having a go at me and was simply explaining my actions

and as far as Witt goes......i think he has enourmous "potential".....which in itself is a conundrum as many players never develop to their full potential, which frustrating for all concerned, however at the same time i don't think he was given fair chance this year to display some of that potential....and for that i put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Brian Smith

which leads me to the deeper problem.............Brian Smith IMHO is dragging this club down with his attitudes towards players, coaching and preparation of the team for games and such problems are causing some talented players to not want to stay at the club......

ie. Lyon, Dykes, Thorman, Vaeliki, Witt and maybe even Mateo??? this is not good enough

Look, Witt has been allowed to talk with 1 other club, that is Manly. If the can find the cash to lure him away, he still has to come to parramatta to ask for a release. Either we match it, we let him go or say nah you signed a contract, live by it.

Now to other players.

Lyon wanted out because he couldn't talk to crusher when he had a problem. Now he is in ESL where if he talks to a member of the coaching staff of another NRL club he is at no risk of giving away game secrets.

Dykes, was a mistake and Brian admitts that. If Dykes was with us in 2001 he would have carved up as I see him as better then Beautner. But he wasn't the answer to the years after Jason Taylor. I am happy we got rid of hime.

Vaeliki, I don't really have an opinion on him going, we have not seen him play a lot of games in the last few years because of injuries.

Witt, Isn't leading the side

Mateo is 100% with the club

True EEL

Bench
Witt wasn't given ample opportunity to run the side

Dykes was held up as the great saviour, but credit to BS for admitting he was a mistake.....but what is the go with saying "adam i want you to change your game" "Ok, what aspect Brian?" "ummm....i don't know"...........

and the others, Thorman said he would rather go back to the ESl than have another wasted season here??? and i am just worried about the trend of disgruntled players and good players leaving that just continues every year???

fish said:
Reading the last 7 pages the majority of fans don't seem to rate Witt and neither does the coach given his lack of a run (till late in the season) at the #7.Before any of the rumours of him leaving I thought he was a class player just from watching him in 2003 and was suprised when he wasn't handed the 7 jersey come 2004.
Since you guys don't rate him he should be no great loss and would stoked if he came to the Northern Beaches.I think under a different setup he would thrive and would love to see him partnering Monnas in the halves.

I think it's case of slim pickings mate....

I've said it before he'll be the one who'd kick one from the sideline to win us a GF but unfortunately for the bloke he doesn't possess the running game of a halfback we need to get us to a GF.

Witt was given Opportunity to run the side, he was behind a forward pack that dominated against the Panthers in our last home game. Where was he??? Missing in action!

Dykes, was asked to change his game and Brian did ask to change certain parts, I don't think he will come out in the media and say Adam change your "blah" to this. Dykes was also a very poor on field leader and is part of the reason we have looked one dimensional in the last 2 season.

Thorman also said that he enjoyed his time here and that the coaching staff were great and had no problems with them, but that he was offered a chance to be a full time starting half elsewhere and I don't think anyone is safe in the starting half position unless they control the side. Against the tigers Thorman went MIA in a major way

True EEL

Bench
i'll admit Witt does go missing in action in the second half of games, but experience will hopefully fix that for him.....and also it was a factor of him being overcalled by more senior players....again experience should solve that

anyway, if he goes, i think its a shame but will wish him luck

RainMan

Juniors
Just from the official Manly website.

Manly hope to officially announce a new signing tomorrow (Thursday 7th Oct).

Read into it what you will.

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
i'll admit Witt does go missing in action in the second half of games, but experience will hopefully fix that for him.....and also it was a factor of him being overcalled by more senior players....again experience should solve that

anyway, if he goes, i think its a shame but will wish him luck

i'll be honest with you Truey!!

I'm more excited about Tim Smith, Blake Green and Marcus Peranara.

if Witty stays he could potentially become 3rd or 4th choice half back behind those blokes. and not to mention pj...I think the coaching staff spoilt him last year to the point where in his mind, he just needed to turn up to pre season training and have that first grade spot handed to him.

he can do that at Manly! just ask Jy Mullane and Nick Bradley. the kid does not want to earn his spot, so he wants out.

True EEL

Bench
well......very possible that it is Witt, but who knows???

but lets look at the facts so far:

they are very light in the halves with walker gone
Monoghan is better at 5/8 than half
they have money available or so it would seem
Witt supposedly has been given permission to speak with other clubs
Manly are also short on goalkickers
the "Crusher" influence and he supposedly stood up for both Witt's at Parra
Newcastle (where Steve Witt is based) have signed another young halfback from the QRL Cup

True EEL

Bench
look, you could be right eelevation on both fronts from your last 2 posts

anyway, we will just see what happens and yes it could be anyone they are signing

but on Witt, why the big change??? why sign the kid for 4 years (extrordinary step for a 19 year old) and boom him up as the future bof the club (at least in the halves) and then go so cold on him its not funny....some things just don't add up??

was BS so wrong about Witt that 6 months later he wasn't worthy of even playing first grade and then 12 months later he is not worthy of even staying at the club???

True EEL said:
look, you could be right eelevation on both fronts from your last 2 posts

anyway, we will just see what happens and yes it could be anyone they are signing

but on Witt, why the big change??? why sign the kid for 4 years (extrordinary step for a 19 year old) and boom him up as the future bof the club (at least in the halves) and then go so cold on him its not funny....some things just don't add up??

was BS so wrong about Witt that 6 months later he wasn't worthy of even playing first grade and then 12 months later he is not worthy of even staying at the club???

Could it be that Witts' attitude changed for the worse after he signed?

I think Witts attitude is what has put him on the outer at this club. Sure you are here for 4 years, but you better perform if you want to stay here.

True EEL

Bench
his attitude may have changed......but it was then up to BS to pull him into line, but do so in a manner that didn't wreck his confidence or alienate him?????

perhaps BS failed at that too or perhaps Witt simply did get a big head, but this is again the type of thing that worries me within the club???

perhaps signing people to long-term contracts aren't the way to go??? i.e. BS for 5 years and Witt for 4 years??? i think 2 years is about the max contract players and coaches should be signed to in the modern game as there are so many variables that can affect people its not funny.......

Well the problem is TE, unless you are Brian or Michael, we aren’t going to know which it was, and I think both sides will have different views.

Latest posts