What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 06

sideburnmania

Juniors
I totally agree by dumping the ball to a RB as a 2nd option. If they are playing deep zone, dump it off, don't force it.

I think slants are generally a nightmare to throw against most zone defenses. Quick in's and outs are generally better.

Get the running game going. If you are 2nd 2, the defense will often play man, audible to a slants play. Slants work great on man defence.

Try playaction as well. Yuou need to have developed a good running game for it to work though, otherwise the defense won't bit. But run it in a formation where you will have decent block protection, such as split backs where the FB and RB will block for you. Often in playaction the defense will pick run but if you don't have protection the rush will get you instantly. Also with playaction I have the cone attached to my intending receiver before the snap, time is crucial in playaction.

What level are you guys playing on? I went 14-2 in my 1st season with the Lions on All-Pro. I tried all madden and it is a massive step up from all-pro. I went 5-11 but I beat the Vikings twice and the Steelers. Forget about deep pass routes on all madden. The defense cheats, I can handle being picked off cleanly but I HATE it when when my players drops a catch, it bobbles and they catch it off the rebound. That's just bullsh*t. It hardly ever happens to me on defense...

Eelementary

Post Whore
I got it today. Top fun.

Even though I only got it to fill in the time for NRL 2, seeing as I know nothing about Gridiron.

May I ask two questions?

(1) What are each of the positions? Obviouly I know QB, HB, FB, OLB and K. But I need to know what the others are (so when I create a player or play superstar mode, i know what his role is).

(2) I made a QB based on myself for Superstar mode. I go to all the training and gameplan things and I only ever get 1 or two touches of the ball (I got drafted by the Broncos, and my QB's stats are higher than his!) during an actual season match. Why is this? When will I be able to start?

Cheers.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
you could just edit the depth chart and make yourself the number 1 QB.

the positions are:

WR- Wide Reciver, TE- Tight End, LG/RG- Guard, LT/RT- Tackle, LE/RE- Defensive End, DT- Defensive tackle, LOLB/ROLB- Outside Linebacker, MLB- Middle Linebacker, CB- Corner back, SS- Strong Saftey, FS- Free Saftey, P- Punter.

Eelementary

Post Whore
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
you could just edit the depth chart and make yourself the number 1 QB.

the positions are:

WR- Wide Reciver, TE- Tight End, LG/RG- Guard, LT/RT- Tackle, LE/RE- Defensive End, DT- Defensive tackle, LOLB/ROLB- Outside Linebacker, MLB- Middle Linebacker, CB- Corner back, SS- Strong Saftey, FS- Free Saftey, P- Punter.

Thanks heaps, mate.

Yeah I figured that out this morning - the depth chart thing lol.

I made my Superstar the number one QB, and ge runs most of the plays. It's awesome!

Only problem is I lost some points in doing so...

And can I just be a pain for one more second?

Which is the defensive player that makes most tackles?

Because I created a HB - I love using him in HB running plays.

Now I want to create a defensive beast lol.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Ok personally my favorite Defensive position is FS or SS.

They usually make most of the interceptions, plus there decent tacklers.

MLB or OLB are the positions which usually make most amount of tackles though.

You lost points cause you probably had a high turnover ratio or you might have been in the preseason which means you had limited game time.

Eelementary

Post Whore
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
Ok personally my favorite Defensive position is FS or SS.

They usually make most of the interceptions, plus there decent tacklers.

MLB or OLB are the positions which usually make most amount of tackles though.

You lost points cause you probably had a high turnover ratio or you might have been in the preseason which means you had limited game time.

Mate, you're a legend! You know so much!

I was in the pre-season, yes.

And my annoying Agent keeps leaving me voice messages saying, "Just wondering what you were up to. Not on holidays, are you? Call me." And my personality is already disruptive - and my popularity low. Don't wanna worsen it by seeing my agent lol.

But on the positive, I threw a match-winning 30 yard TD pass on the buzzer....That should get me some exposure lol.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
best way is to get your career on track is to do all those annoying mini games, like the movie role and the "Madden Bowl".

Also you should see your agent, normally its for things like an interview with the press and etc..its good for morale and etc.

sideburnmania

Juniors
Another new feature in this years Madden, but I didn't exactly know how to do it at 1st, is quick audibles. Press the audible button and then use the right analog stick. Left for playaction, up for deep pass, right for run and down for quick pass (usually slants) (I think that's right) :p The formation doesn't change either and it's a really quick way to change plays instead of memorising what your audibles are.

It sounds small but it's an awesome feature imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I started Superstar mode. One year in, I replaced my starting Broncos QB with my created star. Eventually the fans came to love me lol.

But get this - my mate created a superstar the other day. In his first two months he got 3 interviews and a movie role! lol

Parki

Bench
yeah..... you can just go to the depth chart and kick whoever is starting out, which i think is pretty silly... but it saves playing a season not using your superstar

Eelementary

Post Whore
And how about this:

I started another new Superstar mode. On my first interview, I was asked who I'd rather be drafted by (I said the Raiders - they're my team!).

Lo and behold, round 3, pick 2 I'm drafted, as a QB, by the Raiders!

AND to top it off I am a better QB statistically than their starting QB and went straight into the starting role! Wicked!

Y2Eel

First Grade
Damn i am missing the boat with this game i didnt think it looked all that good at first but reading the reviews ive gotta get me madden 06

Eelementary

Post Whore
Y2Eel said:
Damn i am missing the boat with this game i didnt think it looked all that good at first but reading the reviews ive gotta get me madden 06

Put it this way:

I know very little about Gridiron.

I only bought the game because:

(1) I'm waiting for RL 2;

(2) Madden games usually have a lot of replayability in them, through the likes of Franchise mode, create-a-player, etc.

Not only am I learning by playing the game, I'm having a blast!

Except the whole defense is still confusing...I never know when to choose a zone defense and when to choose a man-on-man defense...

Still - my Raiders franchise team is going great guns. I re-signed my NFL Icon Cornerback and signed an NFL Icon LOLB for 2 years - and he's loving it at the Raiders! I made a profit of $16 million in my first franchise year!

Paullyboy

Coach
I got started on gridiron the exact same way eelementary - except it was back on madden 2000 on the ps1. I deadset disintigrated that disc I played it that much.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Paullyboy said:
I got started on gridiron the exact same way eelementary - except it was back on madden 2000 on the ps1. I deadset disintigrated that disc I played it that much.

I'm starting to appreciate the game more, just through playing Madden!

I mean, it's got nothing on League - League is a tactical genius' game, what with kicking, running and passing all playing vital roles.

But Gridiron is starting to grow on me.

I'm even teaching myself - I've come to learn that one of my fave positions is the Cornerback, because in Franchise Mode as the Raiders, my Captain is is NFL Icon CB Charles Woodson, and he always gets a few intercepts and forced fumbles a game lol.

I also love DT's.

Just one question:

When I look at the end-of-match stats, it says 'Pancakes'. What does that stat mean?

And what are your best ways to break through the line of scrimmage to sack the opposing QB? I personally use the hit stick, the sprint buttong and even sometimes ther diving tackle button knocks defenders over - I usually get at least 3 sacks a game.

I love defense! lol

Paullyboy

Coach
Pancakes happen when you are on offence. Its usually the offensive line who gets them (Ie the RT, RG, C, LG, LT and TE as you would probably know them).

What it means is one of your blockers knocks over one of the defenders and basically leaves him flat on the ground. Its a good thing, the more pancakes, the more likely there is to be holes for you to run through.

As for the best way to break the line of scrimmage, I usually control linebackers and use a blitz - (whent he arrow is pointing straight at the QB) and try and either run around the blockers, or through a gap in the middle, depending on the play.

Hope that makes sense,

Eelementary

Post Whore
Paullyboy said:
Pancakes happen when you are on offence. Its usually the offensive line who gets them (Ie the RT, RG, C, LG, LT and TE as you would probably know them).

What it means is one of your blockers knocks over one of the defenders and basically leaves him flat on the ground. Its a good thing, the more pancakes, the more likely there is to be holes for you to run through.

As for the best way to break the line of scrimmage, I usually control linebackers and use a blitz - (whent he arrow is pointing straight at the QB) and try and either run around the blockers, or through a gap in the middle, depending on the play.

Hope that makes sense,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot!

One final question lol:

I'm playing Franchise mode, and my coaches are upset - they reckon they deserve to get paid more.

I have no idea how to re-set their salaries. I've tried everything!

I'm like 5 weeks into the actual season...