What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 06

Eelementary

Post Whore
What is the best situation for a one-on-one defensive situation regarding a LB?

I normally set my CB to mark up against the WR.

Who do you think is best to mark up against the TE, HB, etc.?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
depending on who you have on defense changes how you should play.

if you have speed linebackers (80 or higher speed) then you could match them against the opposition...not against the recivers unless you plan to be in zone.

man to man is good if you have depth, lets say you have 4 corner backs and there all 80+ then you should try to use the dime and quater packages, but you should look to try and confuse the offense..run blitz's zones, fake zones, man to man.

my linebacker is 84speed..so he is usually able to stay within a few metres when covering the HB or the TE..but i also take manual control of my line backers so i could make sure of the play.

Paullyboy

Coach
As for the coaches question, I never bother with that - I usually just let the computer take care of coaching as it makes bugger all difference and is just a waste of time I reckon.

I think the only way to re-adjust their salaries is in the off-season, I know there is definately an option then - ive never looked for it in the regular season menu, and Im pretty sure you'd have to wait till off season.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
you can resign guys during the season on pc you just right click on the player and choose salary or something like that.

xbox and ps2..no idea, but its not often that the pc version has something that the console doesnt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Thanks, guys.

Sorry for being so annoying lol.

I just figured that I could sort of teach myself another way - in the middle of a game, pause and go to coaching/strategy, then go to defensive formation (or offensive formation) and cycle through each play. It teaches me where each player plays, so I can make a good decision on who to mark up with.

I am currently playing Franchise Mode with my created Eels team, and I chose, instead of drafting NFL players, I would do the fantasy draft - I chose to have a defensive team. As a result, all my defensive team is 28 or under and they are all at least 80 overall - meaning my defence is 93.

Problem is that sometimes my DT, because he's 5'8 and 210 lbs, gets pancake - and they get no pressure from the defensive line and so the QB throws a mad 1 million yard TD pass lol.

And I can't substitute him - he's 93 overall, 85 for strength and 90 for running blocks.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
DT is Defensive tackle, they dont get pancakes..pancakes are for offense only.

That DT is waaaaay to small and weak..85str and 210pounds, lol running backs are stronger (sometimes).

I normally look for 90+str and around 340pound DT's..i dont care about there ovr or there speed since im using them to take up as much room and force the RB to run to the outside..which is where my speedy linebackers shut them down.

Problem with this idea is if my D-line gets tired there o-line forces a pancake and there o-line blocks my linebackers with ease.

after a while you will figure out what type of guys you want on your team, as of now i have added a run stuffing MLB to help in that area and it seems to work.

Eelementary

Post Whore
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
DT is Defensive tackle, they dont get pancakes..pancakes are for offense only.

That DT is waaaaay to small and weak..85str and 210pounds, lol running backs are stronger (sometimes).

I normally look for 90+str and around 340pound DT's..i dont care about there ovr or there speed since im using them to take up as much room and force the RB to run to the outside..which is where my speedy linebackers shut them down.

Problem with this idea is if my D-line gets tired there o-line forces a pancake and there o-line blocks my linebackers with ease.

after a while you will figure out what type of guys you want on your team, as of now i have added a run stuffing MLB to help in that area and it seems to work.

Yeah lol.

What I meant was that the offensive line pancakes my DT a hell of lot recently. My DT used to bust through the line and sack the QB or force a bad pass, but not anymore.

I normally control the DT in defense, and try to rush through for a sack. It works well for me - I can't control CB's or LB's as effectively.

I signed a 21 year old rookie DT on my Franchise.

Best decison I ever made - overall of 82, with 91 strenghth. And he's bloody huge - 6'7 and 305 pounds!

Paullyboy

Coach
I dont know how anyone could control the CB's properly, half the time at the start of the route they are off screen and its anyone's guess as to where they are or where the receiver they are marking is.

I often switch to a CB when the ball has been thrown and is in the air though.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
im more of a control the LB or the Saftey, sometimes if im using a very fast DE ill place him into zone and use him as an extra cover, usually works big time..but more often then not ill stick to LB/SS as i got used to the manuel covering, at least when i stuff up i cant blame AI lol.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah lol.

I just like using the DT because my favvourite teams have great DT's (the Raiders, my created Eels and created Denver Devils Franchises).

Plus I feel like I make a difference - whether I get the sack or not, at least by breaking through the offensive line, I force a rushed pass, and I know it's because of me! lol

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
using the d-line is good for presure, i notice that when people control the line it means i gotta pass quickly..but it also means i can land easier passes lol..so it all evens its self out..like when controlling the LB or SS it means not as much pressure on the qb..eventually there gonna find alot of holes in the defense.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's true.

I've just gotten used to controlling the DT's lol.

It works pretty well.

I always turn Mn-Lock on, and instruct my best CB to cover their best WR.

Then I control the DT, the best one, and if I don't get a sackm I usually come within inches of doing so - and force a rushed pass.

Obviously, doesn't work 100% of the time. But I fell better - I figure if I get a sack, it's kudos to me; if I force a bad pass; kudos to me; and if I get pancaked and they then get a first down and some good yardage, it's also my fault lol.

And how addictive is this bloody game? lol

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah it sure is addictive, ill give you that. Each game I play in my franchise takes about an hour to complete, so I always find myself making sure Ive got an hour free before I head out so I can get a game in.

McLovin

Staff member
I can't get enough of those screen plays. I actually created Willie Mason and placed him at halfback. Gave him some decent speed and good break tackle ability. I think i made him 6'5, 260lb. He's a human bowling ball...

Eelementary

Post Whore
He would be, eh!

I created a player with my name but not based on me at all.

He's an 18 year old rookie DT (though I'm 20 lol).

He's 6'8, 290 lbs - and all his stats when I signed him wer ein the 70's. Now, 3 years later, he's got 80's for everything.

But from the very first moment I played him, he made an impact!

And I'm teaching myself how to play defense - the L1 + left analog stick to shift the defensive line is a great idea!

strewth_mate

Bench
A quick annoying question to the informed:

I have not much experience with the NFL nor NFL games. I do though very much like American football as a sport regardless of my limited association with it. Pretty much my only knowledge of the politics, players and nuances comes about through headline news, watching 2 games and playing the demo version of Madden 98 which I played to death, similar to my knowledge of soccer primarily through Champ Manager.

Basically I am looking for a sport game that will keep me interested and take a while til I find ways to cheat and expose the AI and ruin the game. So far the only real bad thing I have heard about this one is the limited franchise mode and the lack of innovation from the previous version. Should that still warrant I buy it? Will it keep me interested and having fun for a while? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? And also is it possible to play the game on a keyboard? Looks like a top game.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
if you get it on pc then you have to play online, online makes offline seem so dated.

You can play on the keyboard but i just use a logitech duel action controller, i think its like $30.

This years madden has better gameplay but the franchise is just about the same.

McLovin

Staff member
Franchise is pretty good. Features include the usual player salaries, Hiring/firing coaching staff, etc. I love the fact that you can create a team and their uniforms and actually build their stadium from scratch (you can do things like build grandstands or add scoreboards to making boxes and creating in goal colours and designs). There is also ticket, beverage, food, parking prices you can adjust to make fans want to go to the games. Advertising is there also.

The only flaw i can think of when it comes to franchise mode trading draft picks. I could probably land someone like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens for a 1st and 2nd draft pick, and maybe a crappy player.

Well theres my 2 cents on franchise mode. I'm going to go back and finish the season i started with my created team "Los Angeles Bulls", all in Chicago Bulls colours off course...

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
A deal in real life involving lets say Moss for a Round 1 Draft Pick and another player would be seem fair for most teams..as long as the other player was good.