What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 13

abpanther

Staff member
Okay so I started an online franchise last night with a mate of mine, we've decided to pick some reclamation projects, sim the first season and then start with the following draft and offseason.

I took the Cards and he took the Rams, already cleaned out any veterans, got 2 1sts and multiple 2nds and other picks for Fitz, Wilson, Rhodes, Dockett, etc. Hoping they do very poorly in the first year so I'm picking top 5.

Anyway in terms of the game, I haven't actually played a game in my franchise mode yet (played some exhibition ones) but I really like what I've seen so far. I like the menus much better than the 12' ones. I like how the trade block works and the offers come through, I like the weekly checklist and the other options, so far I'm impressed.

One question, where do you go to change your audibles, etc? Is that done in franchise mode or outside of it under My Madden?

Also, how much relevant does the strategic section have where you can designate what type of player you want for each position (e.g. set LT to Big Mauler, Run Blocker, etc)? How does it affect your team? Does it impact scouting, etc?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
physics might need a bit of a tweak. i just returned a kickoff to the 20 yard line, my player got hit and somehow flew backwards all the way out of the end zone for a safety.

like he'd been fired out of a cannon. lucky the game was already lost, but jesus! if that happened with a minute to go in a tied super bowl i'd punt the ps3 out of the house.

Big Tim

First Grade
Thanks for your help.
I remember it disconnecting earlier in the week, I wasn't playing a game at that point, would have been around the same time too.

I would suggest we can confirm this. Was about to start my 3rd pre-season game last night, and noticed it was 8:30..... good idea. I play 15 min quarters, so I wouldnt have lost much.

Went to MUT instead, did the Celek Fantasy challenge, and got booted after the game whilst selling cards. 8:59pm

Logged back on at 9:01

Okay so I started an online franchise last night with a mate of mine, we've decided to pick some reclamation projects, sim the first season and then start with the following draft and offseason.

I took the Cards and he took the Rams, already cleaned out any veterans, got 2 1sts and multiple 2nds and other picks for Fitz, Wilson, Rhodes, Dockett, etc. Hoping they do very poorly in the first year so I'm picking top 5.

Anyway in terms of the game, I haven't actually played a game in my franchise mode yet (played some exhibition ones) but I really like what I've seen so far. I like the menus much better than the 12' ones. I like how the trade block works and the offers come through, I like the weekly checklist and the other options, so far I'm impressed.

One question, where do you go to change your audibles, etc? Is that done in franchise mode or outside of it under My Madden?

Also, how much relevant does the strategic section have where you can designate what type of player you want for each position (e.g. set LT to Big Mauler, Run Blocker, etc)? How does it affect your team? Does it impact scouting, etc?

Your schemes dont effect how the player plays, or their attributes. eg Speed receivers. If you have your WR1 set as possession, speed receivers will have their overall nerfed, and poss receivers will have it buffed.

Again, it doesnt change how they play, or any of their attributes, just changed their overall in your scheme to make finding the right guy easier.

So when it comes to FA players who fit your scheme will show higher overall, but may not be better than players with lower overall.

Its handy if you want a specific style of player. ie I prefer zone blockers to be able to run power's, sweeps and screens, so they stand out in FA.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
physics might need a bit of a tweak. i just returned a kickoff to the 20 yard line, my player got hit and somehow flew backwards all the way out of the end zone for a safety.

like he'd been fired out of a cannon. lucky the game was already lost, but jesus! if that happened with a minute to go in a tied super bowl i'd punt the ps3 out of the house.

omfg it cost me the game. big fourth quarter comeback and instead of taking the extra point to go ahead by one i had to go for the two and failed.

Big Tim

First Grade
omfg it cost me the game. big fourth quarter comeback and instead of taking the extra point to go ahead by one i had to go for the two and failed.

Couldnt you have kicked the PAT and went in to OT?

Thats how I read it.

abpanther

Staff member
How many minutes per quarter do you guys play?

I'm trying to get it right, aiming for a game to last 1 hour, I have it set at 9mins at the moment with play clock at 20secs

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Couldnt you have kicked the PAT and went in to OT?

Thats how I read it.

the safety made it 30-18, they got a field goal after the punt and made it 33-18.

i made it 33-25, then 33-31. take away two of their points it's 31-31, and instead of me getting only six on the last play i'd have got seven and gone up 32-31. i didn't explain it that well.

i'll keep their field goal in there because at the time i couldn't move the ball and probably would have punted from the same place anyway.

Big Tim

First Grade
How many minutes per quarter do you guys play?

I'm trying to get it right, aiming for a game to last 1 hour, I have it set at 9mins at the moment with play clock at 20secs

I have 14 sec play clock, let the player walk to the line, so I have about 8 secs to make 1-2 changes if needed, so I dont cheese the CPU.

I was playing 11 minutes, but that would be about 50 min. 15 min quarters takes about 1 1/4 hours, so I would suggest 13 min would put you on the hour mark with enough snaps to get realistic numbers.

the safety made it 30-18, they got a field goal after the punt and made it 33-18.

i made it 33-25, then 33-31. take away two of their points it's 31-31, and instead of me getting only six on the last play i'd have got seven and gone up 32-31. i didn't explain it that well.

i'll keep their field goal in there because at the time i couldn't move the ball and probably would have punted from the same place anyway.

I see it better now. Makes more sense. I couldnt for the life of me work out why you would go for 2 when OT was there.....

So this bug, was it a glitch, or was it one of those situations where you broke a tackle, but got turned around and ran backwards?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
So this bug, was it a glitch, or was it one of those situations where you broke a tackle, but got turned around and ran backwards?

accepted the kick return was no good at the 20, stopped going forward and someone came in and hit my return man who shot back 30 yards out of the back of the endzone. definite bug.

like i said, fired out of a cannon.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Question, do you guys manually progress your players or let it happen automatically?

I wanna do it manually but was trying to do some research and find a guide online for how to best build attributes for each position

abpanther

Staff member
Also, where do you go to make permanent substitutions to your personnel packages? For example i run 3-4 but i wanna see what players are being used in by Dline when i go to nickel and dime packages

Thanks heaps

Big Tim

First Grade
Also, where do you go to make permanent substitutions to your personnel packages? For example i run 3-4 but i wanna see what players are being used in by Dline when i go to nickel and dime packages

Thanks heaps

Cant do it. You have to do it every game.....

If they were tgo add back formation subs and player editing (number, conditional position and equipment only) this game would be top notch.

I mention conditional position, because I remember I would change top FA's to a position like QB or punter before the off-season, and sign them up on the cheap, then change them back to their actual spot.

Before you jump on me this was back in the ps1 days....

abpanther

Staff member
Alright guys, I need your expert advice and I need it fast.

So I started a online franchise with a mate, he took the Rams and I took the Cards. We simmed the first season and I stripped my team of any good older talent for draft picks (e.g. Fitzgerald, etc).

We are playing on All-Pro difficulty.

It was all going very well, was 9-1, my rookie RB was the 3rd leading rusher in the league, I signed Aaron Hernandez (now 91 overall) and he has been the focal point of my offense given that I don't really have any good WRs (Floyd and Roberts). I played my mate and beat him 70-67 with Hernandez getting 350yds receiving. I am playing with Kaepernick at QB.

However I have now lost Hernandez and my RB to injured for a month or so, as a result my offense has fallen apart, lost my last two games 27-3 and 30-3. I have really trouble getting any consistent passing attack with my WRs. It probably doesn't help that Kaepernick's accuracy is pretty shit, particularly on short throws (74).

Just wanted to get some general advice on how you guys consistently move the ball in the air on this difficulty level. Do you have some plays that you find consistently work no matter what defense or WRs you have? Even runnign simple comeback routes are a struggle for me, my WR doesn't get much separation and usually drops the ball when he gets hit.

Just some advice would be great.

Was thinking of maybe trying the Carolina playbook as I have read it has some great plays for mobile QBs

Big Tim

First Grade
Alright guys, I need your expert advice and I need it fast.

So I started a online franchise with a mate, he took the Rams and I took the Cards. We simmed the first season and I stripped my team of any good older talent for draft picks (e.g. Fitzgerald, etc).

We are playing on All-Pro difficulty.

It was all going very well, was 9-1, my rookie RB was the 3rd leading rusher in the league, I signed Aaron Hernandez (now 91 overall) and he has been the focal point of my offense given that I don't really have any good WRs (Floyd and Roberts). I played my mate and beat him 70-67 with Hernandez getting 350yds receiving. I am playing with Kaepernick at QB.

However I have now lost Hernandez and my RB to injured for a month or so, as a result my offense has fallen apart, lost my last two games 27-3 and 30-3. I have really trouble getting any consistent passing attack with my WRs. It probably doesn't help that Kaepernick's accuracy is pretty shit, particularly on short throws (74).

Just wanted to get some general advice on how you guys consistently move the ball in the air on this difficulty level. Do you have some plays that you find consistently work no matter what defense or WRs you have? Even runnign simple comeback routes are a struggle for me, my WR doesn't get much separation and usually drops the ball when he gets hit.

Just some advice would be great.

Was thinking of maybe trying the Carolina playbook as I have read it has some great plays for mobile QBs

I hate saying this, but curl flats is money, and so is stick.

Curl flat works amazing against cover 2 and cover 3. The TE runs the flat, with a hook at the end, and the Z receiver runs a 7-9yd curl.

In a cover 2 the CB covers the flat, and the LB doesnt get wide enough to cover the curl. Easy completion to the Z receiver as the safety, LB and CB dont react until the ball is just about caught.

If they are playing man, you need to read it quickly and throw a medium trajectory ball to the outside shoulder of the TE. The LB that covers him will be 2-5 steps behind, and 3-4 yards deep. The Z receiver will run the CB down the field clearing the under route.

Stick works in much the same way.

TE is open for days if he curls, and if they run a cover 2, the slant from the X receiver will be wide open between the LB's but in front of the safety help.

In man, it isnt quite so money, but as long as your X receiver gets the inside release the quick slant is there.

..... I feel dirty.