What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly/Storm fight

firechild

First Grade
This.

The clock starts when you get to the sheds, not when the refs tells you.

Therefore if this hadn't happened Blair would have been back on before Stewart.

Except for the fact the clock stops until players have left the field so even if they take 10 minutes to reach the sideline, it makes no difference.

Glenn and Adam both wanted to have another go, both should be and will be treated equally.

Anyone saying it was a dog act for Lussick to lay into Blair when he was on the ground forgets that only 60 seconds prior Blair had got stuck into Lussick with Smith and Hinchcliff were holding Lussick's arms. It would be a dog act if Blair hadn't committed an equal dog act immediately prior.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I can't understand how everyone wants to blame the whole thing on the Manly players.

To me by far the most culpable player is Blair. The whole reason this escalated from the initial Lussick/Hinchcliffe fight was because of his filthy king hit. That was what incensed G. Stewart and you could see he was still itching to get at Blair when he was sin-binned. That alone is as bad as what Brett Stewart did, and it landed cleaner as well.

Then, the second fight started because Blair ran 30 metres to catch up to Stewart and initiate the confrontation with him. I don't know why we are all wondering "what did Blair say to start Stewart" or whatever, the second fight started when Blair fronted up to Stewart and pushed him- it was on from then and Stewart got the first shot in, but it was Blair who went out of his way to start the fight, which should be seen as a pretty serious offence for a guy who has been sent from the field.

As for the Manly players running in 4 or 5 on 1, I don't really care- as with Stewart throwing the first punch, it was simply a case of them getting there first- it was always going to be an all-in brawl once the second fight started. It's a team sport, not organised fighting, and the Manly players had every right to want to charge in and get stuck in to Blair. Obviously if there were blokes in there king-hitting him while he was defenceless that will have to be looked at, but I'm not sure it was that clear-cut.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
i am not trying to absolve AB of the blame .
But if GS had not have changed direction ,(& yes it would have been 2 mtrs ) then who knows what would have happened.
GS instigated that part of it ,& yes Blair should have just kept going.
But even if GS had kept walking straight there is a chance that they still would have had words & started fighting.
simple question..
Have you watched the youtube 7min clip of it ..3.28 onwards ..& GS goes out of his way to get in ABs way.
i am just amazed at the tards on here who are trying to lay all the blame on AB.
He only changed direction AFTER GS did.

Ok,
If AB hadnt jogged to catch up to GS
If AB hadnt shot his mouth off standing shoulder to shoulder
If , If , If
Mate, both players in the wrong both will get 2 weeks
Banging on about the walking line trajectory isn't going to make anybody lose their brains and agree

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
I can't understand how everyone wants to blame the whole thing on the Manly players.

To me by far the most culpable player is Blair. The whole reason this escalated from the initial Lussick/Hinchcliffe fight was because of his filthy king hit. That was what incensed G. Stewart and you could see he was still itching to get at Blair when he was sin-binned. That alone is as bad as what Brett Stewart did, and it landed cleaner as well.

Then, the second fight started because Blair ran 30 metres to catch up to Stewart and initiate the confrontation with him. I don't know why we are all wondering "what did Blair say to start Stewart" or whatever, the second fight started when Blair fronted up to Stewart and pushed him- it was on from then and Stewart got the first shot in, but it was Blair who went out of his way to start the fight, which should be seen as a pretty serious offence for a guy who has been sent from the field.

As for the Manly players running in 4 or 5 on 1, I don't really care- as with Stewart throwing the first punch, it was simply a case of them getting there first- it was always going to be an all-in brawl once the second fight started. It's a team sport, not organised fighting, and the Manly players had every right to want to charge in and get stuck in to Blair. Obviously if there were blokes in there king-hitting him while he was defenceless that will have to be looked at, but I'm not sure it was that clear-cut.

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu you sir have vision :-D

Didgi

Except for the fact the clock stops until players have left the field so even if they take 10 minutes to reach the sideline, it makes no difference.

Glenn and Adam both wanted to have another go, both should be and will be treated equally.

Anyone saying it was a dog act for Lussick to lay into Blair when he was on the ground forgets that only 60 seconds prior Blair had got stuck into Lussick with Smith and Hinchcliff were holding Lussick's arms. It would be a dog act if Blair hadn't committed an equal dog act immediately prior.

Uh... it's still a dog act. That he was dog shotted earlier doesn't mean what he does is any less dog. Blair's sin binning was penalty for the dog shot, not Lussick laying into his ribs.

Didgi

This is pretty accurate. Good post.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
Geez there is some gibbering in this thread. Everyone who is up in arms about the whole 5 on 1 situation needs to ask themselves, in all seriousness, whether if the teams had been running the opposite way and the storm players had been significantly closer to the ruckus whether they wouldn't have run in in exactly the same manner. Given 99% of clashes such as this happen BETWEEN the two teams on the field, this kind of thing rarely happens, which is probably why it seems so unsavoury.

The only thing i have a real problem with is Lussick hitting Blair while he was on the ground, but given the sucker punch Blair had put on him only moments earlier i can understand it. Brett Stewart deserves the benefit of the doubt that he was flying in to tackle Blair of his brother, rather than flying in for the king hit, given he's never thrown a punch in his entire 1st grade career, to the best of my recollection.

Seriously some posters here will argue about anything, especially if it comes with a gilt-edged opportunity to stick the metaphorical boot into Manly. You seem to forget though - No one likes us and we don't care.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Geez there is some gibbering in this thread. Everyone who is up in arms about the whole 5 on 1 situation needs to ask themselves, in all seriousness, whether if the teams had been running the opposite way and the storm players had been significantly closer to the ruckus whether they wouldn't have run in in exactly the same manner.

Exactly!

Every time there's an incident like this people start going nuts about what they see as "unfair" fighting. ffs, this is rugby league- it's against the rules to throw a punch full-stop, there aren't additional rules stating that when a scrap starts you have to organise yourself into evenly numbered teams and give a written warning prior to throwing a punch.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
Exactly!

Every time there's an incident like this people start going nuts about what they see as "unfair" fighting. ffs, this is rugby league- it's against the rules to throw a punch full-stop, there aren't additional rules stating that when a scrap starts you have to organise yourself into evenly numbered teams and give a written warning prior to throwing a punch.

:lol::lol: Classic

M2D2

Bench
Brett Stewart deserves the benefit of the doubt that he was flying in to tackle Blair of his brother, rather than flying in for the king hit
:lol:
And Eric Cantona only wanted that spectator to smell if he stepped in dog shit.
Blair fronted up to Stewart and pushed him- it was on from then and Stewart got the first shot in, but it was Blair who went out of his way to start the fight
Incorrect.
Stewart moved out of his way TWICE to get in the way of Blair. And ALSO grabbed his jumper first which is seen in first replay and in the second replay which is the Reverse shot.

ceagle

Bench
:lol:
And Eric Cantona only wanted that spectator to smell if he stepped in dog shit.

Incorrect.
Stewart moved out of his way TWICE to get in the way of Blair. And ALSO grabbed his jumper first which is seen in first replay and in the second replay which is the Reverse shot.
:lol:. Strong grammar

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
:lol:Incorrect.

Blair was jogging. He could easily have kept on jogging, but he stopped instead.

It was clearly Blair who escalated the confrontation as well with a very distinct push, and if you can't see that then I can't help you.

Eels Dude

Coach
I wonder if it's a coincidence that the only people who seem to be defending Brett and Glenn Stewart happen to be Manly supporters. :sarcasm:

M2D2

Bench
Blair has to change directions TWICE.
Stewart Grabs Blairs Jumper first.
Stewart throws the first punch.

What Blair said is irrelevant.
Blair not continuing to jog off is irrelevant.
Blair pushing Stewart after Stewart has a hold of his jumper is irrelevant.
The referees said Stewart was the aggressor, and Blair retaliated.
The commentators (tho i use the term loosely for King Wally)said that Blair got sent off for head butting Stewarts fist and he was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT.
Anybody with two eyes sees the same thing.

You cant help me cause i dont need help. I could see who threw the first punch. I could see who changed directions to get in the way of the person jogging off the field. I could see who first grabs the other player.
You didnt.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
Ahhhhhh i see now Blair was an innocent victim in all of this, thanks for letting me know that Adam "i'm a pacifist, i'd never start any fight" Blair didnt do jack !
Goose !

Glenn and Blair are as stupid as each other
Glenn could've jogged off but walked off
Blair made a concerted effort to catch Glenn and sledge him
send off plus 2 week suspension should be sufficient for both of them

both clubs fined $100K I expect with a stern warning
and IMO
Darcy Lussick will get 1 week with a early plea
Ryan Hinchcliffe the same
and slater may be in trouble to for the elbow forearm on DCE late in the game

edit
Oh and the 2 things that were clear in both fights were the Blair Uppercuts

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Ahhhhhh i see now Blair was an innocent victim in all of this, thanks for letting me know that Adam "i'm a pacifist, i'd never start any fight" Blair didnt do jack !
Goose !
Youre the goose.
Nobody is advocating his innocence. But of course when its proven with anybody with eyes that he wasnt the aggressor you have to proclaim that if hes not the aggressor that hes mr goody too shoes.
He had NO problem whatsoever with getting on with it. He had NO problem throwing uppercuts at a defenceless head.
But he didnt start the second fight.
The Referees even confirmed this.
Stop trying to put your slant on it. The proof speaks for itself. People were there and dont have manly eyes saw it.
The referees saw it.
The commentators saw it.
Stop trying to argue the point as anybody in power has claimed OTHERWISE.
Anybody without bias, HAS CLAIMED OTHERWISE.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Have to laugh at the reports that B.Stewart actually hurt his suspect knee during that 30m sprint and prance awkwardly with an open handed slap/jump on Blair.

What a merkin......suck sh*t :lol:

Latest posts