What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly/Storm fight

ceagle

Bench
FFS It wasn't that bad, am I the only thinks that?
Seriously after everything has cooled down I agree, no one was hurt in the slightest, it all still happened in the field of play, would of been worse if it happened over the sideline or in the sheds.

Canard

Immortal

I reckon it will cause a "rule changing".

From now on players will have to leave the field at seperate ends or with a 30 second buffer or something equivalent.

The 5 on 1, and Brett Stewart launching himself wasn't a good look for the game, its getting a lot of chatter down here in Melbourne.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Seriously after everything has cooled down I agree, no one was hurt in the slightest, it all still happened in the field of play, would of been worse if it happened over the sideline or in the sheds.

Wot ???

You did actually see the incident in question didn't you........:crazy:

BunniesMan

Immortal
The first brawl was nothing. Even Stewart and Blair going 1 on 1 on the way off wasn't a big deal. But when it escalated into firstly a 5 on 1 attack and then a second bench clearing brawl is when it became 'that bad'. 30 seconds after they just got lectured about 3rd man in we had 3rd/4th/5th/6th...34th man in.

it's not 'that bad' for you and I and most LU users who are passionate fans. But for fence sitting fans and sponsors. The NRL isn't interested in what its passionate fans think because it rightly knows we're not going anywhere. It's thinking about sponsors and fence sitters who can be lost if the sport gets stuck with that 'thugby' stereotype.

That is why multiple suspensions and fines will be handed out.

I genuinely loved seeing the biff, I also understand why the NRL will come down hard on the people responsible.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
The 5 on 1, and Brett Stewart launching himself wasn't a good look for the game, its getting a lot of chatter down here in Melbourne.

That doesn't surprise me. The only time rugby league seems to get talked about down there is when the Melbourne Storm get "wronged".

Canard

Immortal
That doesn't surprise me. The only time rugby league seems to get talked about down there is when the Melbourne Storm get "wronged".

Nah the sentiment isn't "We wuz robbed" like a lot of the Melbournians think about the salary cap stuff.

Its more like "thats just a step too far" by both sets of players and Mums want let there kids play League etc.

In other words the Melbourne angle of the thing isn't an issue, its a NRL thing.

Eels Dude

Coach
Nah the sentiment isn't "We wuz robbed" like a lot of the Melbournians think about the salary cap stuff.

Its more like "thats just a step too far" by both sets of players and Mums want let there kids play League etc.

In other words the Melbourne angle of the thing isn't an issue, its a NRL thing.

Fair enough.

Either way, the only publicity rugby league gets down there is for the wrong reasons. Mums not wanting their kids playing league because of a fight... there's plenty of examples in the AFL of all in brawls. The players just aren't tough though so they shadow in comparison.

Molly

Juniors
Be prepared for a massive over reaction from the NRL. People talking about Blair/G Stewart long suspensions etc...for some one on one that wasnt really that bad, its the running 40 meters to be involved that created the biggest issue.

How sterile has the game become that this is such a major incident now. Whilst I don't condone the gang violence we saw on Friday, the game has lost its way a little.

Reality is the refs have no control of games these days, with two refs they each wait for the other to act on every call and we end up with inconsistent, fumbling decisions that frustrate everyone. The pussycats in charge of the game on Friday had a great chance to assert some authority and show what the game stands for, but they didnt.

Garts

Bench

Agree. At the end of the day it was a fight, we are not talking about biting, knees or cocked elbows or gouging someone's eyes. Players always run into fights all the time and some throw punches when they shouldnt. At the end of the day barely any punches collected apart from Blairs on Lussick in the first stink. All relatively minor. The big issue is it was after players were sent to the bin but it was still only a fight with people running in like the first one. If the second fight didn't not happen nothing would be made of the first, yet it was essentially the same.

Glen

Bench
Brett Stewart's actions were pathetic, him and every one of the Manly players that ran in should be punished

Blair didn't throw the first punch but did instigate it by running up to him as they were going off

I can't wait until the Manly cats get suspended the Manly/NRL/Gallop whingefest starts again

Gallop will be loving this...his two favourite clubs being bad boys.

He will now be able to watch a Broncos v Wests Tigers GF.

caspersparks

Juniors
All this 5-1 stuff just proves how mentally challenged alot of you people are.. EVERYONE ran towards it, Manly players got there first because (shock) they were closer.. Manly were obviously pissed off after seeing Blair uppercut Lussick whilst being held (im sure the crowed reaction to the hit help fuel this).They tackled blair, Brett tries to grab blair around the head (not king hit), robbo and foran tackle him, glen continues to hit him, Lussick DOES come in with a dog shot (square up or what ever) but Lussick and Glen are the only ones who threw punches.
IMO:

Glen & Blair - 3-4 weeks (i'd hope 2-3)
B. Stewart - 1-2 (2 weeks most prob for reckless play)
Lussick - 2 weeks

But all this 5-1 gang fight talk is pathetic

Latest posts