What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive News: SMH: Runaway Lyon says he's keen to rejoin Parramatta

Eelementary

Post Whore
How many people have been making HUGE sums of money by the time they were 20?

How many people have been told by just about EVERYONE that they were the BEST in their field in the WORLD by the time they were 20?

These were situations Lyon was in. They undoubtedly affected him from a tender age, as a young man, and they moulded him into the man he was to become.

Just a few points to think about.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also, not a huge fan of this 'he walked out on our time of need' argument.

He walked out after one round - MUCH better than walking out midway through the season, where replacements would be harder to find.

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
How many people have been making HUGE sums of money by the time they were 20?

How many people have been told by just about EVERYONE that they were the BEST in their field in the WORLD by the time they were 20?

These were situations Lyon was in. They undoubtedly affected him from a tender age, as a young man, and they moulded him into the man he was to become.

Just a few points to think about.

spoilt and egotistical?

:lol: :lol: ... sorry i couldn't resist .... u set that up too well

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Also, not a huge fan of this 'he walked out on our time of need' argument.

He walked out after one round - MUCH better than walking out midway through the season, where replacements would be harder to find.

what? .... round 1 - round 13 ... same sh*t in terms of finding a replacement - remind me again all the star players available to replace him with ..... now 6 months earlier, when he coincidently signed a very lucrative multi yr deal, that would have been the time to go bye bye

Eelementary

Post Whore
:lol: Fair enough!

But it actually does allude to what I'm trying to say - he's not perfect. Lord no.

But I don't think anyone can judge him or his character, because FEW, if ANY, footballers have been receiving huge salaries and being told they were the greatest in their position in the world (by the age of 20).

And then, to top it off, you had a guy who took him into his home who was like a father to him away from home getting in his ear and telling him things.

You know...It's a more complex issue than simply 'he walked out', I reckon.

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
what? .... round 1 - round 13 ... same sh*t in terms of finding a replacement - remind me again all the star players available to replace him with ..... now 6 months earlier, when he coincidently signed a very lucrative multi yr deal, that would have been the time to go bye bye

OK.

Say we had a young centre killing it in Premier League, but because Lyon and the other dude were doing so well in First Grade, he never got a chance to play First Grade. He asks for a release, gets it and goes. We are left with two less centres, because he walked out later in the season and left us in limbo.

Early in the season, while this COULD happen, it's unlikely - the lower players would have to work their way up to Firsts by playing 4 or 5 PL matches. So him walking out in Round 1 is better than him walking out later in the season, I reckon.

Eelementary said:

Me. I was earmarked very early as being an outstanding prospect and I was talked up and pampered all throughout Uni. Sure, it had a helluva lot to do with my natural good looks, charm and intelligence, but I dealt with it and I still deal with it today.

Please don't give me that crap. 14 year olds have gone out and fought for this country. My dad was serving his country in the armed forces by the time he was 20. Teenagers have represented our country in various sports since we've had national teams....................."He was only 20" is the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard. 20? Damn, trust me, I deal with teenagers every day and they are capable of acting like adults long before they leave their teens.

What further lame excuses are people gonna come up with in order to turn a blind eye to selfish immaturity in order to cash in on a little success? Roll em out, people..............roll em out!

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
:lol: Fair enough!

But it actually does allude to what I'm trying to say - he's not perfect. Lord no.

But I don't think anyone can judge him or his character, because FEW, if ANY, footballers have been receiving huge salaries and being told they were the greatest in their position in the world (by the age of 20).

And then, to top it off, you had a guy who took him into his home who was like a father to him away from home getting in his ear and telling him things.

You know...It's a more complex issue than simply 'he walked out', I reckon.

mmmm - out club commited many hundreds of thousands of $$$s to building a team around him long term and then he walked out, lied about it all several times ..... crusher in his ear or not, he should have had the balls to at least be honest if he wanted to leave

fish eel

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:
Look, I am 100% absolutely serious about what I am saying. If anyone thinks Jamie doesn't owe the fans (above everyone else) a serious apology before he pulls on OUR jersey again then they need their head read. Seriously, people are willing to overlook the fact he deserted us in our time of needs because he was a selfish little brat because he is a good footballer? What has our society become if these are our priorities?

Yes, Ron, everyone makes mistakes. But real men actually own up to them. I have already said it - when Jamie comes out and is clean about why he ran like a dog and asks publically for forgiveness and proves he is looking to make amends, then we can talk turkey. Until then, he has not proved that he is doing it for anything other than selfish reasons.

But yes, Suity, I'm also having fun. I always like to have fun. A good argument is as stimulating as........well, you know ;)

OK.
So Jamie Lyon comes back to Parramatta.
And your not satisfied with his 'repetence'
You walking away from the club in disugust?
Following only lower grades?

fish eel

Immortal
btw, there is nothing stimulating about arguments.
debates and discussions yes, but arguments? I'll pass. they're for kids.

Eelementary

Post Whore
BEST in the WORLD?

In any case - you say yourself that you work with adolescents and young adults. They don't all mature at the same rate.

And I have no doubt that if he was a 'weak character' to begin with, and he was having large sums of money and global praise heaped on him...Well, it wouldn't help him in the humility stakes, now, would it?

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
OK.

Say we had a young centre killing it in Premier League, but because Lyon and the other dude were doing so well in First Grade, he never got a chance to play First Grade. He asks for a release, gets it and goes. We are left with two less centres, because he walked out later in the season and left us in limbo.

Early in the season, while this COULD happen, it's unlikely - the lower players would have to work their way up to Firsts by playing 4 or 5 PL matches. So him walking out in Round 1 is better than him walking out later in the season, I reckon.

can anyone say "willie tonga" .... pretty damn likely willie would have been #1 parra centre had jamie done his thing 6 months earlier instead of cashing in and then bolting

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
mmmm - out club commited many hundreds of thousands of $$$s to building a team around him long term and then he walked out, lied about it all several times ..... crusher in his ear or not, he should have had the balls to at least be honest if he wanted to leave

That's true.

But I'm saying he has a weak personality, and it wasn't helped by Cleal getting in his ear. I would assume, anyway.

Utey

Coach
fish eel said:
OK.
So Jamie Lyon comes back to Parramatta.
And your not satisfied with his 'repetence'
You walking away from the club in disugust?
Following only lower grades?

What would u do Jesus?

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
can anyone say "willie tonga" .... pretty damn likely willie would have been #1 parra centre had jamie done his thing 6 months earlier instead of cashing in and then bolting

I can't recall when he left...

But yeah - I don't think walking out after 1 round is as bad as walking out after 13 or so rounds, when you have injuries, suspensions, contratcs and other things to worry about.

I'm not walking away from anything. I'll just take every opportunity to let him know he has some serious apologising to do to the people that matter - the fans.

You see, unlike Jamie, I won't walk out on the Club because the situation isn't to my liking. I'll stick it out because I love this Club and it's bigger than some little brat.

Like I have said - once he shows respect to the fans we can talk turkey. Until then..............

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
I'm not walking away from anything. I'll just take every opportunity to let him know he has some serious apologising to do to the people that matter - the fans.

You see, unlike Jamie, I won't walk out on the Club because the situation isn't to my liking. I'll stick it out because I love this Club and it's bigger than some little brat.

Like I have said - once he shows respect to the fans we can talk turkey. Until then..............

I agree with that 100%.

I'd love his skills back in the Blue and Gold, but I don't want him back if he expects just to walktz in and collect his cheque.

lol, are you guys actually reading your own stuff?

You're saying it's perfectly fine for a guy who ran like a dog from this Club when we were going through troubles, when we needed our stars to stand up and be counted, for a guy like this to just stroll back in when it suits him without an apology simply because he has some talent on the football field?

Seriously, have you actually all paid attention to yourself?

Sheesh, I thought this was the Parramatta Eels, not the Sydney Roosters.......

fish eel

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:

so you'll stick around and celebrate a souless grand final victory with Lyon winning the Churchill medal then?

Latest posts