What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 2 vs Warriors @ Go Media Stadium, Penrose / Aotearoa

Who will win? Finals Week 2: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old dog

Juniors
Disappointed in game, played so well prior to Canberra game then fell apart.
Think Clune is a good player but we missed Hastings calming influence and direction, Gamble needs someone running the show while he plays his own game.
Basically the out muscled and out played us forcing errors and poor decisions

Burwood

Bench
It’s worrying that when Ponga’s pet play is shut down, we had very little in attack- they kept trying to do the sweep, but NZ were able to rush up quickly and force the error. They didn’t try and kick in behind the line to keep the defence guessing- just kept doing the same.

NZ also completely nullified our back 5 with their kicking game. Kick it deep into the corner and then hunt as a pack to keep us pinned in our 20.

When Marzhew finally got the chance to run with the ball on a kick return, he was gassed and getting dominated in the tackle. Or he’d smash Egan so we’d lose all momentum while the game was stopped.

Apey

Staff member
Some stats from NRL - great effort from Jacob

Jacob Saifiti - 54 minutes, 17 runs for 163m, 73 PCM, 36 tackles, 5 missed
Leo Thompson - 35 minutes, 4 runs for 32m, 15 PCM, 24 tackles, 4 missed
Hetherington - 31 minutes, 8 runs for 66m, 24 PCM, 28 tackles, 3 missed
Mat Croker - 34 minutes, 5 runs for 38m, 16 PCM, 31 tackles 2 missed

1694911923106.png

Raiders game

1694912003138.png

Rod

Bench
I think the way the Saifitis have come on is one of the big wins of this run. Many will say it's overdue but if they can carry this effort through to the start of next season, it would be huge. In a weird way their performances, bad and good, have a way of flowing through to the whole team.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Safs look primed to finally reach their potential. Dan was an enormous loss which we all saw a mile away. It comes down to both of them how they want to be remembered at this club. They do struggle laterally at times. But that can be overcome with a mobile edge. I often think they go away from their natural game and play like edges when we need them to motor through the middle.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I don’t think Newcastle can carry both Safitis on big money if they are serious about challenging for a premiership.

If you look at the top 3 sides this year.
Panthers - Fisher-Harris/Leota/Leniu
Broncos - Haas/Carrigan/Flegler
Warriors - Fonua-Blake/Harris

Then you have Melbourne similar to Newcastle, a workmanlike like pack (except for Nelson on his day) that have struggled in the finals the past couple of years even though they have the best 6/7/9.

Yosh

Coach
I don’t think Newcastle can carry both Safitis on big money if they are serious about challenging for a premiership.

Then you have Melbourne similar to Newcastle, a workmanlike like pack (except for Nelson on his day) that have struggled in the finals the past couple of years even though they have the best 6/7/9.

Not saying I Disagree or agree but I have some concerns.

1. Which prop do we target? Is there a Fisher Harris or AFB on the market?
2. If we unload one of the Saifitis, how much of their salary would we have to pay? Let's say we get a World Class prop for 800k but have to keep paying 300k for the Saifiti we let go, we essentially have a prop on $1.1 million.
3. Both Saifitis are super well loved by people inside the club and supporters, will letting one of them go be a popular move?

Leo Thompson is playing well above his paygrade and is improving every week so he should stay but maybe our 4th prop option in rotation is the issue? Croker doesn't look like a prop the more he plays first grade. I think he is a skilful 13. Hetherington is getting better but maybe his position in the team needs an upgrade?

Woosh

Head Moderator
Not saying I Disagree or agree but I have some concerns.

1. Which prop do we target? Is there a Fisher Harris or AFB on the market?

Not at the moment. But say Ben Hunt gets his release to go to the Titans.
Moe Fotuaika might be someone that the Titans can no longer afford to keep on their books.
Founa-Blake was released from Manly 2 years remaining on his contract while Hasler was still in charge.

Yosh

Coach
Not at the moment. But say Ben Hunt gets his release to go to the Titans.
Moe Fotuaika might be someone that the Titans can no longer afford to keep on their books.
Founa-Blake was released from Manly 2 years remaining on his contract while Hasler was still in charge.
Is Moe really that good?

We arent comparable to the Storm really

We have plenty of POD in our prop rotation with Thompson being more mobile and Croker having the silky ball skills etc. We generally dont play both Safs on the field at the same time so having a like for like rotation is more of an advantage. Last year when we had Klem as well it was an issue but i didnt see it in 2023

Having 2 Safs isnt an issue. Not having a Flegler or a Leniu is and while i love Leo he is nowhere near that level yet and Hetherington wont be.

I do like the idea of getting Fotuaika if he becomes free though. That guy is exactly the type of prop we need

macavity

Referee

Leinu and Flegler both joining different clubs next year.

The Safs (when fit and focussed) are not the issue, but the extremely variable impact from the other three props probably is an issue.

Also an issue is the absolute shockers some of our backline players can occasionally throw up.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The Safs (when fit and focussed) are not the issue, but the extremely variable impact from the other three props probably is an issue.
It is an issue when both are on good money and both offer the same sort of impact.
Say you could trade Daniel for Moe.
You wouldn’t take up the trade? Both would be on similar coin.
Moe adds some different to both Daniel and Jacob.

Old dog

Juniors
If you’ve signed them you’ve got them, Dan for a couple more years and talk of extending JSaf. Nothing wrong with both or either providing they stay healthy and put in.
Others Thompson needs to keep improving, he is a strong player, Croker needs to play 11, 12 or 13, not 8 or 10, Hetherington I still have doubts about, when he starts playing 40+ a game and putting in I will re assess.
Basically we have 2 top Middles in Safs when performing, need more consistency we have a strong developing player in Thompson, a when will it happen in Hetherington and is he playing the right position for his skills. lots of possibilities when you add in Friz, Lucas and Elliott. Just needs a little tweak not an overhaul.

Knight Tales

Juniors
The prelim would have been incredible. But the two top sides are on another level to everyone else. Broncos and Penrith will make big statements next weekend. Storm can win but Munster and Grant need to play all time career games.

macavity

Referee
It is an issue when both are on good money and both offer the same sort of impact.
Say you could trade Daniel for Moe.
You wouldn’t take up the trade? Both would be on similar coin.
Moe adds some different to both Daniel and Jacob.

I rate both Safs over Moe, so no.

As I said, I think the rest of the rotation is the issue. Leo is solid but doesn't move the needle, Crokes is a ball playing lock being asked to play bash and barge, and Heatherington should be our best prop but is somehow our worst by far. And after that we have no depth to speak of.