What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs St Geo Illa @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 5: Newcastle v St Geo Illa

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Download or read 'The Front Row' match programme HERE

NEW-2024-MAIN.png
SGI-2024-MAIN.png

NRL 2024 - Round 5
Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal (TICKETS)

Friday 5 April 2024
NRL kickoff 8:05pm.

Broadcast live on Nine, 9Now, Fox, Kayo.

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Thomas Jenkins 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Jack Cogger 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Kai Pearce-Paul 13. Adam Elliott 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Dylan Lucas 19. Jed Cartwright 20. Brodie Jones 21. Tyson Gamble 22. Thomas Cant

In: Dane Gagai (centre), Jackson Hastings (halfback), Leo Thompson (front row), Jed Cartwright (bench), Thomas Cant (reserve)
Changes: Dylan Lucas (centre to bench), Tyson Gamble (five-eighth to reserve), Jack Cogger (halfback to five-eighth), Phoenix Crossland (hooker to bench), Daniel Saifiti (front row to bench), Jayden Brailey (bench to hooker), Brodie Jones (bench to reserve)

STGEO-ILLA2024.png

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Zac Lomax 3. Moses Suli 4. Jack Bird 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Kyle Flanagan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Jack de Belin 11. Luciano Leilua 12. Jaydn Su'A 13. Tom Eisenhuth 14. Jesse Marschke 15. Blake Lawrie 16. Michael Molo 17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 18. Hame Sele 19. Christian Tuipulotu 20. Viliami Fifita 21. Ryan Couchman 22. Ben Murdoch-Masila

In: Michael Molo (bench), Christian Tuipulotu (bench), Viliami Fifita (reserve), Toby Couchman (reserve), Ben Murdoch-Masila (reserve)
Changes: Blake Lawrie (front row to bench), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (lock to bench), Tom Eisenhuth (bench to lock), Jack De Belin (bench to front row)

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: Belinda Sharpe
Sideline Officials: Peter Gough, Drew Oultram
Video Referee: Adam Gee

---

H2H: 43 matches, St Geo Illa 29 Newcastle 14
At McDonald Jones: 23 matches, St Geo Illa 18 Newcastle 5
Last met: 2023 R27 at Kogarah: Newcastle 32-12

Biggest wins:
Newcastle 54-6 (2006 R5 at WIN)
St Geo Illa 48-2 (2004 R4 at WIN)

Next up:
Newcastle v Sydney (McDonald Jones)
Wests Tigers v St Geo Illa (Campbelltown)​

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Our season starts now! I think we can go on a run now. Come on lads!!

Knight Tales

Bench
This game writes itself. We are playing low risk football at the moment it needs to change. But that requires changes in the squad.

Woody90

Juniors
Normal Knights negatively and assuming we’ll lose aside, if both teams play like they did last week we should win. I know we lost and the Dragons won but in all honestly those two games were in different stratospheres in terms of quality.

I definitely think we’ll show up (effort hasn’t been an issue this year IMO) but my worry is that knowing it’s a must win game we play stupid and make a tonne of errors. Can’t be defending that against anyone on a 5 day turnaround.

Interested to see the team list. I’m not expecting to see as many changes as most are expecting.

perverse

Referee
Well, it's not like Gamble has been setting the world on fire with the ball. I did think his contributions in defence had kept him safe enough at the moment though, he's been really good there.

It's a bit of a weird one... because of Cogger and Gamble in their 2 games together, it's impossible to argue that Cogger has been better. It's possible the coach just wants to have a look at a another combination... but that's what pre-season and trials are for.

Yeah, bit of a head scratcher. Feel bad for Tyson, the effort has been there... but he's certainly struggled to assert himself with the ball in hand.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Well, it's not like Gamble has been setting the world on fire with the ball. I did think his contributions in defence had kept him safe enough at the moment though, he's been really good there.

It's a bit of a weird one... because of Cogger and Gamble in their 2 games together, it's impossible to argue that Cogger has been better. It's possible the coach just wants to have a look at a another combination... but that's what pre-season and trials are for.

Yeah, bit of a head scratcher. Feel bad for Tyson, the effort has been there... but he's certainly struggled to assert himself with the ball in hand.
This is my problem with it. Cogger has been worst in ground in his two games so sticking by him makes no sense when others who have been better (low bar) are getting dropped.

Hopefully it's a space filler story and total BS.

If AOB drops a player and keeps DSaf that's a terrible message. Seriously hope DSaf has already been given some warnings, now it's time to shop his ass around.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Are we to assume that Gamble plays 7 in reserves? I can’t see that helping in regards to Will Pryce’s development as a 6 in any way.