What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs St Geo Illa @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 5: Newcastle v St Geo Illa

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joel-22

Juniors
My hot take.. Bradman Best is going to explode this year if our attack continues to improve. I’ve never seen him so fit, strong and enthusiastic. Last week he made 190 metres just from tough carries. He reliably bends the line every time he takes a run. Once things click (and they will) and he runs with the intent he has been running with all year, he is going to be a handful for his opposition centre. I can’t be the only one noticing the improvement in him

Rod

Bench
Glad someone else pointed this out. He's been very solid without being the beneficiary of our attack clicking yet.

His defensive reads also appear to have improved.

Yosh

Coach
Played the perfect game? The two tries they scored were borderline miracles. Could have won that 30-0. Great to get one over one our bogey teams.

Loved our defense, toughness and resolve for the whole 80 minutes. If we play to this level we will win more games than not in 2024.

Also, please please please footy goes keep Brailey fit. He is so so so classy. Loved his niggle and "gamemanship" as well.

perverse

Referee
My hot take.. Bradman Best is going to explode this year if our attack continues to improve. I’ve never seen him so fit, strong and enthusiastic. Last week he made 190 metres just from tough carries. He reliably bends the line every time he takes a run. Once things click (and they will) and he runs with the intent he has been running with all year, he is going to be a handful for his opposition centre. I can’t be the only one noticing the improvement in him
I thought he already exploded last year honestly, but yeah he's going good and needs more clean ball for sure. I agree with Rod above that maybe the biggest improvment this year is his defence. He's made some fantastic plays in D.

A kid like Bradman, with how potent he was when he hit grade at such a young age... it was only ever going to be injury or attitude that held him back. He's always been a total freak. It's a feather in AOBs cap that we've been able to nurture him to here, because we've had a lot of coaches that would have dropped the ball too.

perverse

Referee
Daryl Halligan seems like he's doing an alright job with Ponga, lol.
Blows my mind how much he has improved. He's such a prodigious talent, it's criminal how fast Kalyn picks things up. Seeming as though the penny has finally dropped re: doing extras and doing the hard work off the field, the sky is the limit for him from here. Halligan has always been the kick whisperer, very astute pickup I didn't even hear about. Came a few years too late imo, but better late than never .

I miss the step of pace Kalyn seems to have lost, but the extra strength and confidence in contact seems more than worth it. He's an out and out superstar.

Yosh

Coach
Kayln definitely seems a tad slower when he makes a break but he is breaking tackles like I've never seen before. Hope it continues!

I know I've said it and others have said it before but Brailey is such a good player. Not just a dummy half but player. It was so refreshing to see him play most of a game.

Knight Tales

Bench
Kalyn is playing so much wiser. The fact he did not touch the ball early in the game was purposeful. It means the defence does not get an early look at him. We are playing smart footy. Let us not forget we have kept the Storm and Cows scoreless in the first half already this year. We have the components in place.

perverse

Referee
Another 6 Dally M points for our golden boy from this one. Can’t say he didn’t earn these ones too.
Takes him to the top of the leader board by 6.
Well earned this week, was noticably a class above the rest. Gonna be scary if/when he hits top form.

Knight Tales

Bench
KP is now at the level where he is inspiring those around him. There has been a notable shift in on field attitudes from the players. We have not looked this likely for many seasons. There is still that ‘Knights’ mental collapse in them but it is something they are learning to overcome.