What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 13: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
The regression in attack from last season has been bewildering. Personnel hasn't changed enough to make it make sense.

Or was it just a case of "give the ball to the freakish player in ridiculous form"

Nah our attack was much better than this at the start of last year even with Ponga out. I think it’s a combination of limited ability halves being out of form and conservative coaching.

perverse

Referee
The regression in attack from last season has been bewildering. Personnel hasn't changed enough to make it make sense.

Or was it just a case of "give the ball to the freakish player in ridiculous form"
Ponga + effort. That's all. Earlier in the year we had Ponga but no effort. Now we have the effort but no Ponga.

Woody90

Juniors
We’re going to need to try a bit more in attack to get the win here. Even with their outs the Dogs have been a pretty good defensive unit.

I said this before the game and pretty much what I was expecting/worried about.

Usually when down at half time I have some small amount of hope we can come back if we fix things but I literally can’t see how we’re going to get any points. We’ve just not good enough and it’s exacerbated by key injuries and the wet weather.

perverse

Referee
Don't discount the lack of Gamblor, he makes things happen in a way Cogger definitely does not.

Also Hastings is a shell of the 2023 model, after his surgery I'm wondering if he will ever get it back.
Hastings has less than zero confidence in his body and it shows every time he touches the ball. He doesn't mind dropping his shoulder into a tackle in defence, but he's terrified to be manhandled by a defence. I'd speculate that he's scared of someone dropping on his leg or twisting it.

Apey

Staff member
Don't discount the lack of Gamblor, he makes things happen in a way Cogger definitely does not.

Also Hastings is a shell of the 2023 model, after his surgery I'm wondering if he will ever get it back.
Yeah we all know Cogger sucks but theoretically he should be our back up, Hastings is one of our highest paid players and this year is making Pearce look like Cronk. I think he's completely cooked but I don't know what the solution is there, even on the market.

perverse

Referee
Yep, Gamble is significantly better than Cogger. I hope we re-sign him because I can’t deal with Cogger in the halves for another year.
Yes, somewhat ironically Cogger is making a much better case for retaining Gamble this year than he was himself.

perverse

Referee
Yeah we all know Cogger sucks but theoretically he should be our back up, Hastings is one of our highest paid players and this year is making Pearce look like Cronk. I think he's completely cooked but I don't know what the solution is there, even on the market.
Club is looking at Pezet once he's off contract, so there's clearly recognition internally that the current situation isn't the answer. Unfortunately good halves don't grow on trees like fullbacks seem to. There's no quick fix for us.

perverse

Referee
I think Pryce being so disappointing has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works to be honest. It's sad because there's a first grade jersey just sitting there if he can pull it all together.

Yosh

Coach
Frizz in the middle looks pretty good. Cogger with the worst kick I've seen in first grade on the 4th...