What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Parramatta @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 17: Newcastle v Parramatta

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Parramatta Eels 1-12

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 17
Newcastle Knights v Parramatta Eels
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal (TICKETS)

Saturday 29 June 2024
NRL kickoff 5:30pm.

Broadcast live on Fox, Kayo.

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. Fletcher Sharpe 2. Enari Tuala 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Will Pryce 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Dylan Lucas 13. Adam Elliott 14. Jayden Brailey 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Kai Pearce-Paul 17. Brodie Jones 18. Mathew Croker 19. Jack Hetherington 20. Jack Cogger 21. Krystian Mapapalangi 22. David Armstrong

In: Kai Pearce-Paul (bench)
Changes: Jack Cogger (five-eighth to reserve), Will Pryce (reserve to five-eighth)

PARRAMATTA2024.png

1. Clinton Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Sean Russell 5. Blaize Talagi 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Brendan Hands 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Joe Ofahengaue 14. Matthew Arthur 15. Makahesi Makatoa 16. Matt Doorey 17. Ryan Matterson 18. Daejarn Asi 19. Joey Lussick 20. Wiremu Greig 21. Jake Tago 22. Charlie Guymer

Out: Kelma Tuilagi (second row)
In: Maika Sivo (wing), Matthew Arthur (bench), Matt Doorey (bench), Wiremu Greig (reserve), Jake Tago (reserve), Charlie Guymer (reserve)
Changes: Sean Russell (wing to centre), Daejarn Asi (centre to reserve), Makahesi Makatoa (front row to bench), Junior Paulo (bench to front row), Bryce Cartwright (bench to second row)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Peter GOUGH
Sideline Officials: Chris SUTTON, Kieren IRONS
Video Referee: Wyatt RAYMOND

HEAD TO HEAD - 1988 - 2023​

TOTALNEWCASTLEPARRAMATTADRAWN
ALL MATCHES5830271
MCD. JONES3019110

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2020Round 9PARRAMATTA 10-4McD. Jones6980
2021Round 13PARRAMATTA 40-4McD. Jones23015
2021Qualifying RoundPARRAMATTA 28-20Browne Park5087
2022Round 7PARRAMATTA 39-2McD. Jones25169
2023Round 9PARRAMATTA 43-12CommBank15875

BIGGEST WINS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2005Round 14PARRAMATTA 50-0EnergyAustralia15842
2013Round 26NEWCASTLE 54-6Hunter23392

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 18Round 19Round 20Round 21
NEWCASTLECANBERRA (A)MANLY (A)BRISBANE (H)(BYE)
PARRAMATTASOUTH SYDNEY (H)GOLD COAST (A)(BYE)MELBOURNE (H)

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 13 Round 14 Round 15
NEWCASTLECANTERBURYL 2-32MELBOURNEL 28-36PENRITHL 18-26
PARRAMATTACRONULLAW 34-22CANTERBURYL 18-22SYDNEYL 18-28

STATE OF PLAY: 2024 SEASON​

POSITIONPLAYEDBYESW-L-DFORAGAINST
NEWCASTLE12th1426-8-0248303
PARRAMATTA17th1424-10-0283404

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Bench
All indicators point to a Pryce debut alongside Hastings. When they played together in NSW Cup Pryce played his best game of the year easily. If he does, I hope he and Sharpe make a point of supporting each other’s half breaks all day. Those big Parra forwards can be gotten to of you are brave enough to keep going at them with pace. They’ll monster you but they are not the fittest specimens going around this year:

ryan.a87

Juniors
SuperCoach related, I’ve held into Armstrong. Any chance he will get a wing spot soon? Or sell him to Sharpe? (Via Garrick)

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Fletcher Sharpe 2. Enari Tuala 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Will Pryce 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Dylan Lucas 13. Adam Elliott

14. Jayden Brailey 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Kai Pearce-Paul 17. Brodie Jones

18. Mathew Croker 19. Jack Hetherington 20. Jack Cogger 21. Krystian Mapapalangi 22. David Armstrong

Injury & suspension (Tue 9am): Tyson Gamble, Kalyn Ponga (R22)

Since last game:
In: Kai Pearce-Paul (bench)
Changes: Jack Cogger (five-eighth to reserve), Will Pryce (reserve to five-eighth)

Zoidberg

First Grade
Obviously I don’t want it to happen but if Pryce has a shocker of a game I wonder what the reaction will be of all the people who have been calling for him to be in the team from day 1.

perverse

Referee
Obviously I don’t want it to happen but if Pryce has a shocker of a game I wonder what the reaction will be of all the people who have been calling for him to be in the team from day 1.
I kinda think we're beyond worrying about how well he goes, and just accepting that we need a change and to roll the dice. That's where I'm at anyway, but I'm sure the knives and outrage will come out pretty quickly again from facebook groups.

There's a lot to like about Pryce, but yeah he's an unknown quantity. Maybe he'll rise to the occasion. The only real risk in it for me is if we set Pryce's own development back by ruining his confidence. I don't see him playing worse than Cogger as a realistic risk, because it's difficult to be worse as slots said above..

Zoidberg

First Grade
I have little doubt he will be better than what Cogger has been offering but obviously O’brien has held him back for reasons.
Hope he can just be solid and do his job. The rest of the team, mostly, has been doing their part.

Woody90

Juniors
Credit to AOB for the change. Other than possibly giving Dsaf too many chances (you can argue we don't really have many better options), I feel like he's made changes when needed generally. He seems less stubborn about sticking with players than he has in the past.

Yeah, I’m usually pretty quick to criticise him but IMO he’s selected Pryce at exactly the right time. After the Bulldogs game I was happy with him giving all of the side another shot as we were so bad across the park it wouldn’t be fair to single out a few players, then Cogger was a bit improved against the Storm so I would have given him another shot too. He was so individually bad against the Panthers though, paired with Pryce’s improvement in Cup, it was the right time to make the change.

perverse

Referee
I have little doubt he will be better than what Cogger has been offering but obviously O’brien has held him back for reasons.
Hope he can just be solid and do his job. The rest of the team, mostly, has been doing their part.
He's held back because his form has been shaky and his defence very questionable. I haven't seen much cup this year, but from reports it has sounded like he's been trying to do too much and pull off the hero play with every touch. Could get us in a mountain of trouble in first grade, or he could win us the match.

Having said that, by the sounds of things he has at least started to string it together lately, so we'll see. I dunno if excited is the right word, but i'm very interested to see how he goes. AOB's hand has been forced to have a crack before the season is completely in the bin.

Apey

Staff member
He's going to let in points, it will be an absolute miracle if he doesn't or perhaps just awful coaching/decision making from Parra. What we need to hope is that he provides enough in attack to make up for it. We know Cogger doesn't, let's hope Pryce does.

Woody90

Juniors
On the game, we’re obviously going to struggle - our 1 and 6 have 2 FG games between them. I’m looking forward to seeing how we go though.

Yosh

Coach
Has Crossland overtaken Brailey as our first choice hooker? Is Brailey being phased out even? With his cap space surely we can get an upgrade in the hooker spot.

perverse

Referee
Has Crossland overtaken Brailey as our first choice hooker? Is Brailey being phased out even? With his cap space surely we can get an upgrade in the hooker spot.
I would say the benefits of Braileys service gap over Crossland have become questionable when he's such a non-player in every other area now. Basically, I think it's 6 one way, half a dozen the other at this point. What Crossland brings that Brails can't is energy. Brails at this stage looks like exactly what he is - a talented bloke that's had his best years robbed from him through too many injuries.

Crossland is no world beater as a dummy half, but he's now built his game around energy, good defence and being reliable. He's seemingly cut a great deal of stupid and errors out of his game, and what you do get out of him is 1000% effort for as long as he's on the field.

I dunno, I think we get different things from both of them but Brailey just doesn't offer enough more than Crossland to outweigh the benefits that Crossland gives anymore. That's how I see it anyway. Brails is looking over the hill and a spent force, and is far more expensive than Phoenix.

Having said all of the above, I think if we moved Brailey on and stuck with Phoenix as our main #9, within 6-12 months we'd all be talking about how we're lacking a quality hooker in the team.

Knight Tales

Bench
Cogger has had multiple shots at establishing a starting spot at four different clubs. This kid is 21 on debut. If there is any blow back it falls squarely on O’Brien. I think the timing of his debut carries a lot of pressure he is not ready for. He could thrive on it. He may be one of those kids who phones it in while playing NSW Cup. Sharpe has played way better than anyone ever anticipated this early on.

Latest posts