What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Parramatta @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 17: Newcastle v Parramatta

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Parramatta Eels 1-12

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
Didn’t get to watch the game (will do that tomorrow).

Will Pryce went ok then? Could legit be a 7?
Looks like an out and out 6 to me. Didn't see him in at first receiver or running the plays much at all. Has a lot of skill, moves well with the ball in hand and very willing to take the line on, kicked well, held his gloves up in defence. Looked a bit shy early but built into the match well.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Jeez I dunno, he looks like a run-first 6 to me. At least in the short-mid term. Yes please to a quality 9 though.
Definitely a 6.

There has been a theory for the past couple of decades that half and five-eighth are interchangeable.

There is a huge difference re skillset and responsibilities.

Apey

Staff member
Games like that make me so jealous of the people that get to go. Never been to Newcastle so absolutely need a visit. Ofc chances are I’d go to a game with cogger spudding it up
I go every week. I'm not sure it's worth it, even when games like this come up, lol. Ah well we'll be good eventually, right?

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just watching the replay. Marzew hit so high and hard in the head for his first try, his mouthguard comes out and goes about 5 m. Bunker does nothing. Pathetic refereeing.
They were too busy trying to see what Gutho was whinging about.
Did he actually think we should be penalised by having a try denied because he ran into the ref?

Woody90

Juniors
Good win.

Were we great? No - goal line defence was a mess and we still don’t really have any structure in attack - but, to get a win losing our 2 best forwards (this year) late, obviously no KP, and with a rookie fullback with 2 games to his name and a 6 on debut is a really good effort. Yes Parra are coming last but they were pretty much at full strength.

Boggles my mind a bit when I hear people say they think Best is overrated. He’s legitimately carried the side on his back since KP went down.

jason taylor

Bench
It’s worth noting that Will Pryce did play at halfback for Huddersfield. Showed a lot of promise in a very average team over there. I definitely think you have a keeper here.

ryan.a87

Juniors
When gamble comes pack….and assuming Pryce kicks on……could gamble move to 14?

Braileys form has dropped pretty low this year

Woody90

Juniors
When gamble comes pack….and assuming Pryce kicks on……could gamble move to 14?

Braileys form has dropped pretty low this year

I agree re Brails. I think he needs to go back to Cup and just work on his game and try and build back up again in attack and defence. It’s hardly surprising he’s struggling given what he’s gone through.

Thing is I don’t think Gamble’s played any hooker? And Crossland can’t play 80 - he gets stupid when fatigued. Would probably need to bring Gamble on at lock and move Elliot to 9 to give Crossland a spell for it to work.

Old dog

Bench
Thought the team overall played well, strong and hard, Best was great along with Marzhew and the Safs, Pryce good debut and will get better after that run. Others that played well/better were Tuala, Sharpe, Crosslands and Elliott.
Was very good, yes we played bottom side, without two top forwards, Lucas and Thompson along with Ponga and Gamble missing.
Thought Hastings had a good game and kicked well in general play and very well at goal

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Pryce is a 6 or 1 but nothing else. Fits perfectly at 6. Leave him there. Start allowing him more kicking responsibilities especially for yardage. Stoked with his debut. In one half he offered more than Cogger has.

Burwood

Bench
I agree re Brails. I think he needs to go back to Cup and just work on his game and try and build back up again in attack and defence. It’s hardly surprising he’s struggling given what he’s gone through.

Thing is I don’t think Gamble’s played any hooker? And Crossland can’t play 80 - he gets stupid when fatigued. Would probably need to bring Gamble on at lock and move Elliot to 9 to give Crossland a spell for it to work.

I'd agree regarding 2022 Crossland, but 2023 Crossland consistently played the full 80 (or 90 minutes against Raiders in the finals) and he was in career best form.

Latest posts